Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 21 12 4:21 AM

Tags : :

WF is making good progress on our manufacturing of the DreamForge miniatures.

Here is our latest information release, and I will be providing additional information in the near future:

Photo: Dream-Forge Production in process!

Daisy & Paul with Wai Kee & the China WGF design and tool team.

Photo: Daisy & Paul with Wai Kee & the China WGF design and tool team.

If you go on our Facebook page and 'click on' the pictures you can get an expanded view.

Jim

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

potter

superstar

#1 [url]

Nov 21 12 8:56 AM

Wow-Really like the look of these.

They look great and you all should be justifiably proud of your hard work.

Well done and congratulations to all involved.

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#2 [url]

Nov 21 12 12:29 PM

While I know they were not "intended" and as I understand are not a WF product themselves. 
However based on what I can see here and recall about the size of the ST's, I'd say these could work very well as either a very large support or opposition force for the ST's.

I can "see" these as either very large and powerful 'manned battle suits' or "Com-bots" (COMbat roBOTS)  Or "PCR's" (Programmable Combat Robots) just tossing out a few amusing thoughts and ideas.
I have to say.. LOVE the look of these things.

Jim
ANY chance for those of us that dont "DO" the social media thing, to see more pics of these works in progress. Hmmm I'd say near the end of progress from the looks of them.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#4 [url]

Nov 22 12 8:39 AM

The more I look at these, the more:

A) I want about 3 or 4 of them
B) I really want to get cracking assembling some
C) I keep having ideas about paint jobs and conversion possibilities
D) Want to see/learn more 

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#5 [url]

Nov 22 12 8:43 AM

Hey, just noticed, in the 1st picture, are they sprues with crew members? Infantry to fight alongside the 'Bots/Fighting platforms'? A new project?

I can see pairs of 28mm legs and bases suitable for 28's.....

Do spill the beans Jim, I won't tell a soul....

Got to start saving for these (and other) new sets.....

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 23 12 2:15 AM

Very neat,  I have more than enough with my Historic soldiers but as something completely different might be tempted. Yeah also noticed the `little legs` in the background
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its a bug planet its an ugly planet 

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Nov 23 12 10:51 AM

Hey, just noticed, in the 1st picture, are they sprues with crew members? Infantry to fight alongside the 'Bots/Fighting platforms'? A new project?
I can see pairs of 28mm legs and bases suitable for 28's.....
Do spill the beans Jim, I won't tell a soul....
Got to start saving for these (and other) new sets.....[image]
-potter

No spilling necessary, they're some of these;

Click here to view the attachment

"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein. . ."

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 23 12 10:52 AM

Isernkern infantry; Photo's courtesy of their designer, Mark Mondragon.

. . . . And if you want crewmen, you'll have to wait until the APC is finished.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#10 [url]

Nov 23 12 6:19 PM

Jim
Thanks as always for the updates.. and dont worry, 'we wont tell a soul'.  devil

Now as for the above pics, thanks Panzer and may I say..
"Damn those are sweeeeet!"

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

potter

superstar

#11 [url]

Nov 24 12 8:33 AM

I got to go with Jack-These are fantastic looking figures.

Thanks Panzer 

It's nice that the helmets are similar to the WGF Shock Troopers as well, so there can be (probably coincidental) continuity with the ranges. Have'nt the Dreamscape figs been out for sometime?

I always liked the look of them but wasn't gaming near future/sci-fi whenever I dropped by the website. If they're to be made available in plastic however, I could see me getting some.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#12 [url]

Nov 24 12 12:36 PM

You know, taking a second look at these, and after Potter pointing out the simularities, Im starting to think, "Maybe we have the Shock Troops 'Light Infantry' support now?  Thoughts guys?

I have to say, my first impression was.. "they (like the ST's themselves) have a touch of Warzone to them. The german touch here and there.
My only other question now is.. Are they True or Heroic 28's? So how well are they going to match up with WF?

Personally I've never been a big fan of heroic scale..just MHO, but it reduces the options to 'mix n match' to other lines.  I.e., having ST's 'land on a world' still in ancient period of development and using WF various ancient sets as the opposition.

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#14 [url]

Nov 24 12 2:26 PM

@Jack-Yeppers
@luoshangzi-Yeppers-(though I'd never heard of Jin Roh-sorry )

They look like a mix of both. Nice figs regardless, and glad to hear it's not just me that think they scream Warzone Bauhaus for a (slightly) newer audience.I hope no one takes that the wrong way as it's meant as a compliment. 

They look how the Warzone figs could have progressed/evolved if they'd been given the life span they originally deserved. Some of the Warzone figs now look a little dated, but a lot of the figs available via Prince August are from the original molds, some of which must be 15-20 years old by now.

I'm not sure of the mythos behind the original figs by Dreamscape apart from being superb looking figures and very high quality. The photos of the actors(?) or fans maybe(?) look even more Third Reich though I suspect thats the mg34's, mg40's and (what I think are) fg42's. 

If it's a deliberate choice of sculptor and design then it's an excellent one. Not only that, they don't look so futuristic to be outlandish or sci-fi fantastical. The MG40 for example (albeit in a modified form) is still used by many forces today, and the weapon itself was terrifying enough when first introduced.

Can't argue with the quality of sculpts for the originals on the Dreamscape site or the ones in the pics shown by Panzer engel (if they are the new plastic ones when built). Once again, the more I see them, the more I REALLY like them and can see where my pennies will be going...

Again, hats off to all involved, if this is the shape of things to come, then there's some new kids on the block who are going to make a very big impression and quite rightly so. It's about time.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 24 12 4:13 PM

Can't argue with the quality of sculpts for the originals on the Dreamscape site or the ones in the pics shown by Panzer engel (if they are the new plastic ones when built)

-potter

On sprue.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Nov 24 12 4:16 PM

@Jack-Yeppers
@luoshangzi-Yeppers-(though I'd never heard of Jin Roh-sorry [image])

-potter

You really ought to look up it's various incarnations, if you like retro-tech, or alternate-historical fiction.
(You can probably guess there's a long-time fan of Mamoru Oshii here, which is one reason I'm so interested in getting these)

I'm not sure of the mythos behind the original figs by Dreamscape apart from being superb looking figures and very high quality. The photos of the actors(?) or fans maybe(?) look even more Third Reich though I suspect thats the mg34's, mg40's and (what I think are) fg42's.
If it's a deliberate choice of sculptor and design then it's an excellent one. Not only that, they don't look so futuristic to be outlandish or sci-fi fantastical. The MG40 for example (albeit in a modified form) is still used by many forces today, and the weapon itself was terrifying enough when first introduced.
-potter

-potter

DreamForge's Iron-Core background is based on a timeline that split from our own in the first decade of the C20th, largely due to the discovery of ancient technology, which allowed man to expand offplanet - But subsequently made Earth uninhabitable.

Unfortunately, seeing their home planet devastated hasn't stopped the squabbling for power, resources and influence between the various factions. And as if humanity didn't have enough problems already, repeated contact with alien races is underlining that we're very new kids on the galactic block indeed. . . .

The backgrounds central design assumption is that the various splinters of human society - And their technology - Have subsequently developed on a parallel, but still recognisable, course.

My only other question now is.. Are they True or Heroic 28's? So how well are they going to match up with WF?
-jack

-jack

As should be visible, these are true or 'fine' scale models. The problem you will face in any mixing and matching is that, like the original DF sculpts, they are 32mm. That is, they're designed to be compatible with 1/48th military models, rather than other manufacturers sci-fi ranges. (Source; DFG)

Those who wish to mix and match should not despair quite yet, as Mark has been rather cunning with the bases. In that they are thinner than standard, so that while the models are taller, models plus bases are not, so the apparent height of assembled and based models on the tabletop is about the same as GW's space marines and most other 'heroic' 28mm heavy troops.

Personally I've never been a big fan of heroic scale..just MHO, but it reduces the options to 'mix n match' to other lines.  I.e., having ST's 'land on a world' still in ancient period of development and using WF various ancient sets as the opposition.
-jack

-jack

You're preaching to the choir here. . . .

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#18 [url]

Nov 24 12 9:08 PM

The more I look at these great sculpts, the more ideas / images / uses come to mind. But first I have to bring.... the bad news.

Im sorry to hear that there '32mm'.. bummer. However one possible way to at least help a bit, along with the info from Panzer about the "thin bases" that come with them, would be to use WF 2mm square or the round bases (gamer's preferance).

Granted if in fact they are "32mm' they are still going to appear (Im afraid) to look a bit .. 'thicker'??  sorry guys not sure how else to phrase that. Of course if they are somewhat taller, but only a bit.. they could also be the yet to be seen, ST's opposition.

And finally, I have to say..  this is what I call a GREAT inspiration for WF's very own "Near Future MARINES". Hellloooo? Have we forgotten already?
Of course you'd have to loose the psuedo WW II german helmet look. I think falling back to the U.S. pre 80's helmet style as in the 2nd Alien film would be a great look.
Only sorry that, as they'd be in the Sci-Fi / Fantasy range, they'd be Heroic scale.  crying

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Nov 25 12 4:30 AM

everyone,

Thank you all for the positive comments and great feedback!

As someone who has worn 'bulletproof' armor (oxymoron?) everyone wearing it looks 'bulkier'. While that armor gets thinner, as ammo gets better the argument could be made for 'bulkier' armor able to 'stop' the newest ammo being made. So, IMHO, you could solve the bulkier issues as the newest body armor available!  Just a thought.

Jim

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Nov 25 12 10:22 AM

Granted if in fact they are "32mm' they are still going to appear (Im afraid) to look a bit .. 'thicker'??  sorry guys not sure how else to phrase that. Of course if they are somewhat taller, but only a bit..

-jack

Hm. Some parts of the armor may seem somewhat bulky, especially the thigh-pads, but the real problem is as likely to be the reverse; The models looking unusually tall and thin next to 'heroic' 28mm. A good example here is putting almost any manufacturers 1/48 historicals next to one of the plastic Imperial guardsmen. Despite being a smaller scale, and considerably shorter, the GW figure still manages to look chunky by comparison.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help