Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#21 [url]

Nov 25 12 11:45 AM

Some parts of the armor may seem somewhat bulky,...   but the real problem is as likely to be the reverse; The models looking unusually tall and thin next to 'heroic' 28mm.   example   putting almost any  1/48 historicals next to   the plastic Imperial guardsmen. Despite being a smaller scale, and.. shorter, the GW figure still manages to look chunky by comparison.

-panzer_engel

Granted Panzer, but unless Im mistaken, practically if not all of GW's 40K Imperials, maybe all factions in fact, were done in "Heroic" 28mm scale.
And another thought that came to mind while looking at the D F trooper, even kind of gave a 'chuckle' but forgot to mention this: What? Do I hear.. an "Eldar-ish" soldier speaking? 
Yep.. he went there. devil

I always did wonder whatever happened to all of the Eldar after they left Middle Earth. Lets face it, a few "dozen' 1000 year summers in the "Undying Lands" and ya gotta at least be curious as to whats out there amongst the stars.

But seriously, I can easily over look that 'taller, thinner' point as its simply because its another race all together. Granted, 'we're still gonna need some kind of Great Coat Light Infantry  (minus the "great coat" of course) and thats "lite" infantry so theres going to have to be a balance between 'body armor' and making them look as it they could move faster. After all we arer talking the 'day to day' soldiers, not the "Shock" troops.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Nov 25 12 2:13 PM

32mm figures look just fine alongside a 28mm model - they just look like big guys :) Drop them next to a 25mm and you might have problems. But, even then, that is 7mm - assume a 25mm figure is 5 ft tall that makes a 32mm figure 6' 5". BIG guys, certainly, but not so much they would look ridiculous, especially if they are in different units.

I am definitely getting some of these guys. Now I just need to justify it . . .

I am in ur base, killin ur doods Abraham is in Ur, contemplatin the will of God

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Nov 25 12 4:11 PM

Granted Panzer, but unless Im mistaken, practically if not all of GW's 40K Imperials, maybe all factions in fact, were done in "Heroic" 28mm scale.

-jack

Um. . . More or less my point, The hapless plastic guardsman was just an example.

The situation thus far is; You'll probably be able to get away with fielding these miniatures next to 28mm. But swapping many components will be problematic, and should there be unarmored personnel to the same scale standards, then there will be the problem of them making your 'heroic' miniatures look like the deformed dwarves they are. If you've seen Rackham's sculpts, and compared them to GW, you'll have a rough idea of what you can get away with in terms of compatibility.

Another argument for true-scale. When everyone has the same, correct, proportions. Models made to a slightly larger scale, just look like tall individuals. Especially if you swap around weapons.

What? Do I hear.. an "Eldar-ish" soldier speaking? 

-jack

Well. . .Yes. Although these days I tend to be leading the local Sisterhood. . . .

"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein. . ."

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Nov 25 12 4:17 PM

32mm figures look just fine alongside a 28mm model - they just look like big guys :) Drop them next to a 25mm and you might have problems. But, even then, that is 7mm - assume a 25mm figure is 5 ft tall that makes a 32mm figure 6' 5". BIG guys, certainly, but not so much they would look ridiculous, especially if they are in different units.
I am definitely getting some of these guys. Now I just need to justify it . . .
-darknight

As noted, the real problem is mixing and matching components, rather than just putting them on the table. Although, you may have problems with bare-headed troopers, as their heads will be noticeably smaller than the lumps GW figures balance on their shoulders (without the benefit of anything resembling necks. . . .)

I'm looking forward to using some as Jin-Roh inspired Inquisitorial storm-troopers - The previous idea being fairly extensive conversions based on space marine scouts. . . .

Another box was going to be headed to Austria, but apparently WF's delivery has slipped, so we won't be seeing them until sometime next year.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Nov 26 12 1:22 PM

everyone,
Thank you all for the positive comments and great feedback!
As someone who has worn 'bulletproof' armor (oxymoron?) everyone wearing it looks 'bulkier'. While that armor gets thinner, as ammo gets better the argument could be made for 'bulkier' armor able to 'stop' the newest ammo being made. So, IMHO, you could solve the bulkier issues as the newest body armor available!  Just a thought.
Jim

-jim_goss

If there's one fact of military technology specifically and technology in general, it's that it changes. While the trend currently is towards smaller and lighter, that paradigm could change dramatically if a new innovation in materials technology and/or power sourcing arrives that forces said paradigm to shift in another direction. One need only look at the evolution of military aircraft and the tank from 1914-1945 to see just how profoundly and fast technology can change the appearance and nature of any given weapons system.

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#27 [url]

Nov 27 12 10:55 AM

Thanks for that.

All nice figs (I have a soft spot for Cadians).

I know very little about Dust Tactics apart from the Alt WWII situation. I've actually been looking at the building set thats available and am quite tempted.

The Dust Tactics figs however are growing on me even if I know very little about the game, the Walkers have caught my eye in the past-The new DF figs look perfectly suitable alongside them IMHO which means the WGF Shock Troops should fit in also. They may be a little chunkier due to the great coats (not always a bad thing) but certainly useful! 

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#28 [url]

Nov 28 12 5:05 AM

Panzer_engel

Many thanks 'nothing' beats a 'side by side' comparison.

I have to say after seeing the DF mini's the other day for the first time, it occured to me later that "maybe" with just a bit of file work to the face area, they would make some fairly good proxy Star Wars Stormtroopers. After all, they over all look is pretty close, Im not saying exact but close. Likewise with the Gaurd, a bit of work and I think they could make playable proxy Rebel soldiers.

Just a thought guys.. what are yours?

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#29 [url]

Nov 28 12 5:46 AM

Jack,

I see the similarities and to be honest I had very much the same Idea.  Stormtroopers.  The Cadians could be Rebel troops,  Just wish I could find heads with these helmets.

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#30 [url]

Nov 28 12 8:14 AM

@Jack and Byron-Now that would be something else!

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

xeno

superstar

#31 [url]

Nov 28 12 5:34 PM

Any idea when these might be available for sale, and for what sort of price range?

I'm still kicking myself for not getting in on the Kickstarter when I had the chance :(

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Nov 29 12 4:25 AM

xeno,

Wargames Factory will be selling the DreamForge kickstarter items soon on our website. Pricing will be announced when we post the DreamForge items for sale.

Jim

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Dec 3 12 2:45 PM

I really wish I could have afforded to participate in their Kickstarter.  I'll definately be interested in getting some via retail when they finally get released.

No worries. {^_^}

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#36 [url]

Dec 9 12 12:56 AM

The Cadians could be Rebel troops,  Just wish I could find heads with these helmets.

-bryon31

I actually have the 'ground work' on a skirmish S W based home rules game. I was intending to use the prepainted mini's already out there, the biggest problem would have been 'who do I get to be the day to day ground pounders as in the final film.
As for the rebels we all remember in the bording action, I was intending on using those guys as my 'Rebel Marines'.

On that note Bryon, I doubt they would match.. but ya can always try getting a few from other gamers or finding some very cheap 'common' ones from Ebay and then either try to swap the entire head or just try to.. cut the helmet loose and make it fit.  Ya never know.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Dec 9 12 9:47 AM

Jack,

I see the similarities and to be honest I had very much the same Idea.  Stormtroopers.  The Cadians could be Rebel troops,  Just wish I could find heads with these helmets.

-bryon31

I think it was Pig Iron that did some 'look-alike' heads with shell helms at one point, but it might have been someone else in the bits trade.

. . . . And the star-wars-stormtrooper grille across the face mask is the one thing I don't like about the ST's helm design. However, it's a minor detail, and Milliput will be applied.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Dec 9 12 10:01 AM

If only they were available for a christmas delivery =) I would buy very very many boxes of storm troopers.
-lordsid1

Hm. On that subject, Mr Goss; Will those of us overseas who paid multiple lots of postage in the hopes of getting some of our mini's before Christmas be able to redeem the extra funds, now that the initial wave has been delayed, and everything will be shipping together anyway?

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Dec 9 12 12:11 PM

Soon I hope we get them. Not going to gripe here as WGF is making them and even if late, still know I am going to get them. From another company I bought some other "germanic" sci fi troops is not leaving me with not so much hope.

Communication and honest explanations as to why they are behind is key and the changes are improvements not excuses. Kudos to Mrk and Jim and the rest of the guys at WGF :)

Looking forward to getting them all as I think they will all blend very nicely together as like themed.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Dec 12 12 3:21 PM

these troops are practically BEGGING for Hasslefree Pulse Rifles!

No worries. {^_^}

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help