Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#21 [url]

Dec 12 12 9:37 AM

I think I will try..   and recast them in plaster.   I really wanted to do a "ruined" temple..  but couldn't figure out how to destroy the plastic pillars in a convincing manner. -bryon31

Cool idea, and if you "just happen" to drop one or two while holding it low to the ground on its 'top' end..,
"Oh darn, look how the upper ends broke up?" devil

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

potter

superstar

#23 [url]

Dec 12 12 2:35 PM

Nice name for it 

When I did mine (the plaster ones bought from a cakey shop when I lived in Gateshead) I lay them on a cutting mat, on their side with a steel rule on it's edge to the circumference of the pillar. A tap with a small hammer to the rule allowed the pillar to break along a nice 'fracture line'.

The only issue people may have with this is that it breaks 'rough', not smooth like a pillar made up of carved circular pieces. I liked it though, made it look like the pillars had been carved from one huge piece of stone and not made of smaller pie's (don't know the stonemasons or architectural name for them, and they looked like little pies to me).

A razor saw would easily cut through to make a smoother join line however should this be desired. I just cringe at the though of cutting through plaster/herculite (too much like nails on a blackboard to me).

You don't even really have to bother with the rule to be honest. 

I like the idea of casting loads of them though, and using 3-4 plastic ones to make several molds at once is a great, not to mention time saving, idea.

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#24 [url]

Dec 13 12 4:12 PM

@Theearthspeaker-Cheers for that mate-I've got a multi-tool Dremel (can't remember which model) and am now considering one of these, as they are available in the UK. I'm just going to do some detective work to find out as to whether a guide(with plate) is available, otherwise my lines will be all over the place .

Bits for the standard Dremel multi tool are cheap enough and readily available also. Even non Dremel parts seem to work just dandy.

Alternatively, there's the Dremel Trio which, on paper, seems like a wonder tool. I've read however the bits are non-standard and tools (such as router bits) from another Dremel cannot be used with the Trio due to the collet size. Still, it does look nice if a 'little' expensive...still sales after Christmas and all that, I'm just not sure any 'unnecessary expense can be justified atm. 

I'm also just not sure what size or type of bit comes with the Trio. After all, I only need a straight bit for the time being as long as I can work to a plunge depth of 2-3mm I'll be happy.

Then again I may just go cheaper, buy a bog standard router etc and take it from there. For what I'm going to be using it for (2, 3 and possibly up to 6mm MDF) I don't need industrial standard.

As long as router bits and blades for the various models of tools out there aren't mega bucks, I really don't mind.

A third alternative is that I forget about routing a channel and stick with quality glue and butt ends for walls to floors with small panel pins on the reverse. Oh Santa, what is a boy to do....

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#25 [url]

Dec 13 12 7:36 PM

OH......that dungeon floor plan. Been there and did that, 35 years ago...we did we did.

(In my best really OLD man voice) Why......we had to make our own sections to cut out and place together to form the passages and rooms. We each had several characters....fantasy figures all.

As to realism....DUST.   Do NOT remove the dust. Leave it to accumulate ON the minies. I do have units that have 10 plus years of dust, they are IN the field, fighting for their lives and MY glory.

I will be trying the "opps method" for making a ruin.  I would like to have some "before" and after buildings.

Remember REAL dust can work to give you those battle weary, tired, dirt covered warriors.

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#26 [url]

Dec 13 12 9:46 PM

I have not experience with MDF or any of these, have done little terrain work in fact. I did make my own "D & D" -ish dungeon on 1/4 inch plexi sheet, but I actually used  OLD oil based paint, basically it was a 'giant' 3 x 3' ft. permanet game board.  All in all not a bad job if I say so myself, kind of wish I still had the darn thing. LOL
But it had NO versititility what so ever.. that was a weakness.

Like *Potter, even w the best dremel or router, unless I had some kind of guide or something, 'my lines' would look more like a "bumper car" on an bouncing floor. LOL

I was considering something like a steel ruler, using "C" clamps to lock it down and using that as a guide. Might work whiether a dremel or maybe somekind of curved chisel tool to cut out shallow lines for the 'floor tiles'.

Now if that idea does not show my ignorance in doing this stuff nothing will LOL.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#27 [url]

Dec 14 12 9:53 AM

@Jack-That would actually work fine mate. Even following drawn on lines with a sharp implement, or Dremel or any modelling rotary tool would work to gouge slight channels in to the surface. Deeper ones are also very do-able (I speak from experience having to cut channels for wiring for lighting on the dolls house project).

Just watch your fingers...speaking from experience..ahem!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help