Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 17 13 7:06 PM

Tags : :

I was getting the Zulu's ready for Cincycon and I thought I would share some pictures of the Impi so far. 37 units of 40 each. 1480 miniatures. A mixture of Black Tree, Warlord Games, Old Glory, Foundry, Copplestone and about 70% Wargames Factory.
Keith

Click here to view the attachment
Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

bryon31

superstar

#1 [url]

Jan 18 13 5:39 AM

WOW!!   now that is an impressive collection. I feel like I've reached a milestone of accomplishment when I finnish a unit of 20.   Very nice, very nice indeed.    

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#2 [url]

Jan 18 13 10:16 AM

SWEET JESUS!  
That is nothing short of amazing!

WOW!!   now that is an impressive collection. I feel like I've reached a milestone of accomplishment when I finnish a unit of 20.   Very nice, very nice indeed.  -bryon31

Bryon 31,
I could not have said it better myself.
Like you, I give a quiet shout of "Yes!" when also complete just one of my 20 man units.
(chuckling) Ha, Im just finishing my 2nd half of only my 2nd - 20 man unit. (I work on 10 at a time so not to feel overwhelmed)
Boy do I have a  l o n g  way to go. LOL

Rxpjks,
Just curious, what kind of camera do you use?

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#3 [url]

Jan 18 13 10:35 AM

As a fellow gamer/ painter its as if we are of 'one mind" here.
"WOW" and truely a very impressive collection. Like you, personally I give a quiet shout of "Yes!" when also complete one of my 20 man units.
(chuckling) Ha, Im just finishing my 2nd half of only my 2nd - 20 man unit. (I work on 10 at a time so not to feel overwhelmed)

-jack

I typically do 18 at a time. (3 groups of 6).  Although the unit I'm going to be finishing up this weekend I've only done 17.  I decided not to do the command figs until the last.  I don't know if this will be effective.  More than likely I'll end up with an army without officers, flags, or musicians. 

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#4 [url]

Jan 18 13 1:52 PM

SWEET JESUS!   That is nothing short of amazing! Bryon 31,I could not have said it better myself.Like you, I give a quiet shout of "Yes!" when also complete just one of my 20 man units. (chuckling) Ha, Im just finishing my 2nd half of only my 2nd - 20 man unit. (I work on 10 at a time so not to feel overwhelmed)Boy do I have a  l o n g  way to go. LOLRxpjks, Just curious, what kind of camera do you use?

-jack

Just...amazing....

That really is an incredible accomplishment-I salute you.

That is truly a world class collection and what an achievement-You deserve a medal for dedication

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#7 [url]

Jan 19 13 3:31 PM

I certainly admire his dedication, however after working on such a vast number of miniatures, a little "MED-cation" couldnt hurt either.  devil

Personally after building even just a quarter of that number (just FYI thats 370) I'd be under my desk, muttering incoherently. lol

Rxpjks,
thanks for the camera info. And the great extra pictures. Very cool.
I have tried one or two, but as I am NOT.. (even close) a 'tech' wise individual, everytime I have tried to take pics of my miniatures, I got 'mega-blurr' in stead. Im sure in (most) cases it was me not fully understanding how the 'bad machine' worked. Either way it was returned.

On the good side, I have recently met a fellow that is relatively new to our game shop, fortunately for me, he has a copy of the 'original' version of The Sword and The Flame and is interested in playing again.
Lets hope for the best. grin

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#8 [url]

Jan 20 13 7:10 AM

'Zulu's. Fasszands of them..' (countless Micheal Caine impersonators)

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#9 [url]

Jan 20 13 12:55 PM

Just had a thought.. 
A few gamers use the new "tech toys" (cell phones/ pads etc) record / download sound effects and play them back during games for 'F X' and laughs. I. E. lasers, explosions etc.
Now I just need a copy of the Zulu's chanting at the stand off of Rorkes Drift. Play that during the opening turns of TS&TF.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 20 13 6:16 PM

HECK......those ARE an army.  All those Zulu warriors swaming across a table top. When, where, will there be photos, MORE photos?

I like the sound ideas too.wink

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jan 31 13 6:10 AM

rxpjks,

Your movement trays are an excellent idea, especially for this time period. Can I ask, what material did you use? 

My numerous attempts to circular cut foam board have all ended in failure. (I see your trays are supporting circular based figures.) I love the foam material I currently have available for $1 for a large sheet. I finally used wood, but I recently found soft plastic will cut and not shatter. It is a work in progress for me. As I am mainly a gamer, movement trays are very big with me. To me, trays make gaming a lot more fun. 

When I am a zulu player I want my massed warriors "on" the British as quickly as possible. Of course, if I am the British, slow moving zulu players are appreciated! I like to whisper to my troops "form square", turn to the zulu player and say "Take your time, no rush.", back to the troops and whisper "Form square-now!"

Jim

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jan 31 13 10:36 AM

Actually they are mounted on GW's War of the ring movement trays. They are kind of expensive if you need a lot. I found some on E-bay. The figures are mounted on the 20mm circular bases for the infantry. My Zulu's I mounted 4 to a stand on 60mm by 40mm. Too many to mount individuallly.
Keith

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#16 [url]

Jan 31 13 2:12 PM

rxpjks,
They Look GREAT!
Like you, WOR movement trays were my 'first' thought for my WF 'Wars of the Empire" collection. However, right now I have decided too base my troops individually. The Zulu's are being based on 1' inch fender washers. The Brits are still  in debate. Im thinking, Litko's 1' inch square .8mm plywood w/ the 'flex steel' bottom attached. This allows me to use 'large' (roughly) 12x12 in. Plano storage boxes w/ magnetic sheet placed in the bottoms for storage and transport.

NOTE  If you use the magnetic sheeting, for myself,  Double Sided Tape  seems to work great for securing it to the 'soft plastic' storage box. "Super" glue was totally useless.
Also IMO you must weigh down the mag sheet for no less than 3-4 hrs (I usually do it over night) to be certain of a really secure bond. Thank God and my Parents for that large dictionary back in HS and my ACW 3 bk collection (yes I read them lol).

The Sword & The Flame is 'basically' a 1 to 1 scale skirmish game, so not a lot of mini's 'required'. However the more zulus I build, ok paint, the more I want to. My "building" leaves a lot to be desired.
Ive entrusted a friend w/ building the Brits, hes really good and has a special technique...  hes 15-20 yrs YOUNGER than I am. LOL
I 'am' looking for trays due to the idea of 'maybe' playing much larger battles (skirmish to you) with a 100+ zulus someday.

Thanks again for the great pics. Love to see any from the upcoming game you will be running.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help