Discuss this submission here!
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/BookingRetrieve.aspx?ID=42329

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jan 29 09 8:52 PM

Gang,

I have scale plans and numerous photographs of this tank a scan and an e-mail away from you if this project takes off. This includes scale plans for essentially every variant that saw combat deployment, including both turret types (Berliet and "omnibus"), the 75mm SP howitzer variant used in both World Wars, and the command/communications TSF variant.

Just let me know if I may be of assistance... devil

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 2 09 10:05 PM

I only just came across this submission!  I'd be in for 6 more at least!

SPRUE TITLE:  RENAULT FT17 TANK
SUBMITTED BY: boggler

SIZE/SCALE: 28mm

SET DESCRIPTION: One or two? sprues containing a Hull, Tracks, Turret, MG / Cannon barrels and Unditching tail skid. Similar to the 1/72nd scale easy build kits by HaT Industrie

To Pre-order click:

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/BookingRetrieve.aspx?ID=42329

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 2 09 10:06 PM

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 2 09 10:06 PM

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Sep 5 09 9:04 PM

Um, this is a French service FT-17 that had been modernized in the 1930s. The dead giveaways are the modified gun mantel designed to accommodate the 7.5mm Reibel light machine gun and the improved driver's visor arrangement:

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 5 09 10:30 PM

Considering it is one of the few running in the world I figured it would have been used in WW2 as well (and therefore modified).

As for how it fits on the 'frame' - I have no idea!  But it's a cool tank.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 6 09 12:14 AM

So uh any idea on how to break this thing down and fit it on as spruce?

-kenshin620

HäT kit (1/72) uses the following breakdown into parts:

Hull - 2 pieces (left and right sides)
Tracks - 2 pieces (left and right sides)
Turret - 3 pieces (hatch, turret and machine gun/cannon)

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Sep 6 09 2:35 AM

The problem would be the thickness or angles of the various pieces.  The tracks look too thick to be one piece - so that is four large pieces already!  Perhaps this is a 2 'frame' piece.

Now that I think about it - it could be a great base for a sci-fi minitank as well.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 6 09 6:08 AM

hmm yes I think the best way to make this would be, 2 tracks, 2 Body Halves, 2 Turret Halves. Any one think they could run the numbers with the measurements of the tank and make it 28mm?

Where is his will needed?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Oct 7 09 7:00 AM

hmm yes I think the best way to make this would be, 2 tracks, 2 Body Halves, 2 Turret Halves. Any one think they could run the numbers with the measurements of the tank and make it 28mm?

-kenshin620

I have a 28mm scale resin and white metal FT-17; there's no way it will fit on a 4 x 6 sprue.neutral

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Dec 23 10 8:23 AM

Greetings

I agree these tanks will not fit on a 4X6 Spruce! The IMPORTANT Question becomes “Will Development Cost, Packaging & Distribution = PROFIT!

IS there enough Interest in an inexpensive Plastic alternative to the Expensive Resin or the Heavy & semi-expensive Lead models! The answer is YES!!! Look at the number of Companies producing Late WW1 Figs! I don’t know if it’s possible but if they can be kept between $20 and $25, I believe they will fly off the shelves! I keep looking a variety of vehicles from different Companies ranging prices:

$48-55 a pop for the Mark IV & Mark V,

$40-45 for a Whippet,

$30-40 for a FT-17,

$45-50 for a French Schneider Tank & the Char d'Assaut St. Chammond () Tank

and $56 for the German A7V!

I would like at lest 3 Mark IV’s or V’s (1 Male & 2 Females)… But Price is the ugly reality! I’m older with kids in college!

I want to see Wargames Factory make obscene Profits! They make obscene Profits, they product more off the wall products we crave! IF you can keep the Price well below the current Lead & Resins, people will buy numerous kits!

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Dec 23 10 8:52 AM

If there was a 1/56 scale Schneider and St. Chamond kit in hard plastic, yours truly would be buying them up at the rate of at least one or two per month!  The FT-17?  The same. Why?

Lessee...

FT-17 turned up in numbers in WW1 in the French and US Armies (I have 28mm metal for both!), served in the Spanish Civil War (I would start collecting figures for both sides), the Rif War in the Spanish and French Armies (I like the Rif War), in Manchuria during the Chinese Civil War (Chiang Tso-lin got his hands on a number of these and used them against his rivals), with the KMT against the Japanese after Chiang's KMT subdued all the warlord factions just in time for the Japanese to begin their invasion of China in 1931, with the White Faction armies during the Russian Civil War (the Reds used some captured FT-17s BTW), again with the French Army during the 1940 Campaign, and with the German Army and the Luftwaffe for internal security and anti-partisan duties.

The Schneider CA1 was used by the French Army during WW1 (it was their first tank), was used right up to the end of the conflict, and was even used by the Spanish Army during the Rif War in Morocco, and later during the Spanish Civil War(!!).

The Char St. Chamond was not a successful design, *however* the garish camouflage patterns, the full-sized M1897 75mm gun, and the fact that this lumbering brute along with the Schneider CA1 will convert beautifully into WH40K Ork AFVs makes them real winners if they were available in hard plastic at an affordable price.

At least that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

Edit:  One more thing.  Repeat after me:  pulp fiction gaming.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Dec 23 10 3:22 PM

I forgot to tell you all - my job allowed me to an inspection of the Australian War memorial large item annex...  I had a 'special tearful moment' when I came accross the FT-17...  I'll post my photos when I get back to work from holidays.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jul 5 12 3:30 AM

You mentioned this    
The Char St. Chamond was not a successful design, *however* the garish camouflage patterns, the full-sized M1897 75mm gun, and the fact that this lumbering brute along with the Schneider CA1 will convert beautifully into WH40K Ork AFVs makes them real winners if they were available in hard plastic at an affordable price.

Who makes a hard plastic Schneider  CA1?

Sincerely,
Phil

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jul 5 12 5:23 AM

pviverito,

Welcome to our forums! At this time, Wargames Factory does not have a WW-I product line.

We do have numerous other historical period figures. Also our excellent quality at $19.95 per box, we feel, is the best value in the miniatures market.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, and enjoy our forums. There is a great deal of information on a wide variety of topics here for you. 

We also have regular forum members who are both very knowledgeable about military history AND many of them create unique figures from Wargames Factory miniatures that literally take my breath away. They are that beautifully painted as well as, in some cases, one of a kind original master pieces, IMHO. 

Please look on our main web site (top of this page on your right side.) "Return to Wargamesfactory.com" and look at the recent MashUp contest winners, and then explore our web site forums and you will find other true masterpieces that were also submitted, and again, IMHO, they are true winners also.

Jim

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jul 5 12 1:36 PM

You mentioned this    

Who makes a hard plastic Schneider  CA1?

Sincerely,
Phil

-pviverito

Phil,

that's the thing; AFAIK *no one* does! I've seen some resin and multimedia kits, but they tend to be fairly expensive to say the least.

For my own part, a 1/56 scale plastic Schneider CA1 in a simplified construction format for wargamers would justify adding quite a few to my collection, as the CA1 in particular was used during WW1 by the French Army as you know, but the story of the CA1 in combat didn't end in 1918!

No sooner had the shooting died down in Western Europe, but by the 1920s the Rif War was in full swing in Morocco, and Spain was struggling to hold onto her colony in Morocco. To bolster their sagging fortunes against the Riffian insurgents, the Spanish Army purchased a number of Char Legere Renault FT17s, *and* a number of Schneider CA1s to provide heavy fire support.

The Spanish CA1s fought to the end of the Rif War IIRC, but their story didn't just end there. The Spanish Army kept a small number of CA1s on inventory, and sure enough when the Spanish Civil War broke out in the 1930s, out came the CA1s again, being used by the government loyalist militia in the street fighting in Barcelona!

So for yours truly, I'd start by procuring some CA1s for my Great War French wargame army, probably four total for a full battery, however given that painting up early French armour from the Great War is a guilty pleasure of mine, I may eventually wind up with a full groupe of four batteries.

Now we move to scenic Morocco! As i have long wanted an excuse to venture into the Rif War, and Askari Miniatures already makes a very nice line of 28mm Rif War Spanish and Riffians, I would simply have to add a pair of CA1s in Spanish Army colors as well.

Finally, being the SCW nut that I am, I would not be able to resist doing up at least one CA1 in the colors of the particular Spanish Communist Youth Movement militia that deployed one of these metal dinosaurs during the street fighting in Barcelona:

Now of course, the CA1 also would work for Pulp Fiction as well (evil Chinese warlord villain has plans to become the next Son of Heaven, and he's got a new toy that will help him in his diabolical plan, and it's up to our heroes to stop him, etc.). A CA1 in speculative colors for a Chinese warlord from the 1920s? Absolutely.

Sci-fi? Well, the CA1 is IMHO just begging to join the ranks of any WH40K Space Ork mob, just add spikes, assorted Ork weapons, and an appropriate Orky paint job.

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#20 [url]

Jul 5 12 5:00 PM

Have you been looking over my 'Not-so-evil Chinese Warlord Guide to Pulp 1920's-1930's goodness incorporating the Spanish Civil War and VBCW vehicles for the use of' book?

Hmm now is it great minds think alike, or fools seldom differ....wink

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help