Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 11 13 11:14 AM

Tags : :

Hi all,

total WSS noob here! I've got my copy of Black Powder, Last Argument of Kings, Lace Wars vol 4 for scenarios, a paint guide, 8 boxes of infantry, 8 boxes of cavalry, and 6 boxes of artillery. Oh and about a hundred 40x40mm steel bases. Time to start assembling...

But there's so many heads and hats on the sprues! Who gets what type of head?

I know Grenadiers get the taller hats, but is there a specific French-only-wear-this-type-of-hat, or Dutch-never-wore-this-hat, sort of guidelines for the plastics? There's different grenadier hats, floppy hats, tricorns, feathers, and what-have-you. And i'd be very sad if I assembled and painted some Bavarians and they had British only headwear on! So who gets what?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Doug

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#1 [url]

Feb 12 13 1:15 AM

judgedoug

WELCOME!

I am "Not" any authority of the WSS, however I would highly advise you to use your computer and search the net for pics and drawings for units / troops of that war.

And I MOST strongly advise you to go to the "Painted Miniatures and Conversions" topic under Categories at the first page of the Forum. The first subject "Show Off Your Work" should be of great help, but you will have to be patient. You may have to 'dig' thru pages to find what your looking for.
Also, scan the individual topics listed. For example: "My First Dutch" you will find listed on the first page of "P M & C". However "WSS British" is listed on the 3rd page. (this changes as newer topics push the older farther down the line as it were).
Im sure you can find some helpful ideas on the "Modeling and Painting" topic as well, again, be patient, theres a lot of helpful information right here.

And from one who is still a relative 'newbie' on the WSS, you can relax as for deciding what "head is right or wrong". 
In General,  from what I have read on this time period "practically" every major nation used the Tricorn for some if not the majority of their army. So its hard to go wrong there. WF didnt call it the "Generic WSS Infantry" for nothing it seems.  lol

As for the Grenadier heads, they do have the tall & short "Miter" to choose from and that Im sure is "regiment specific". So if your going for Historically accurate and specific regiments, your going to want to do some searching in the Library of here online.

And remember, these are "your" miniatures. So if you want, you can always just pick the colors you like best and create your own "Imagi-Nation" regiments.

Heres a couple of links that might be of help to you.     Best of luck

Welcome to Baccus6mm. 'the' place for Mega Micro Mini's

Painting Guide | War of Spanish Succession | Spain | Portugal | Military Histo

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 12 13 5:09 AM

judgedoug,

Jack has many great suggestions. Thank you Jack!

I agree the WSS section of the WF forums has both great suggestions and pictures. (A picture is worth a thousand words.)  http://wargamesfactory.lefora.com/2012/09/14/wss-wargames-factory-cologne/#post3

Also, if you are not aware, ImagiNations is how many of our members are building their WSS era. This means you decide your army and make your own imaginary nation.  http://wargamesfactory.lefora.com/2011/06/21/imagi-nations/

I hope this is helpful.

Jim

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 12 13 5:36 AM

Hey guys,

thanks for the helpful links! I've been slowly culling links together from all across the internet and various forums. Every bit of info is helpful!

I have decided to go with 12-man units; 4 men per 40mmx40mm square base; 6-man cavalry squadrons at 2 cav per 40mmx40mm square base, so that I can game large battles with lots of units without needing a 12 foot table.

Jim, do you know if there is specifically a resource for the sprue design of the WSS sprues? Such as, "this head is a Bavarian helmet", etc.

One thing I noticed is the cavalry sprue has just a ton of head options and I don't know what types of cavalry used what type of helmet or hats!

Jack, perhaps the next time someone has a WSS question you will send them a link to my blog - which is being started - where I plan on putting all the information I find, so as to help any new players! This period is amazing but it's much harder to get into than ECW or Napoleonics... I will of course post a link as soon as I have it up and running.

Doug

Doug currently working on: Kings of War - Goblins, Black Powder - War of Spanish Succession, Dreadball - 29ers, Pike & Shotte - New Model Army

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#4 [url]

Feb 13 13 3:12 AM

Judgedoug

I look forward to your link and as one also still discovering info on the WSS curious to find out what all you have come up with. So Im sure I will be putting your link in my 'Fav" list for future reference to those needing help.
Also, not to 'cut in' on Jims territory so to speak, but I dont think anyone has come up with any kind of "reference guide" in regards to the sprues themselves. Again your best bet IMO, (in my opinion) is using information here and what you have found so far online Doug.

OH a little "heads up" regarding posting here on the Forum. For reasons unknown from time to time when I have posted on the forum, the preset font is completely changed. Usually oversized. If it happens.. your not alone.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Feb 13 13 5:05 AM

everyone,

No worries about an 'cut in' on Jim here, please Jack!

There has been a lot of information posted about WSS on the WF forums, including our Spanish customers who do this time period to reenact the historical dress.

Would some of our experts on this period please add their thoughts here also?

Jim

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#6 [url]

Feb 21 13 4:00 PM

No worries about an 'cut in' on Jim here,
There has been a lot of information posted..  including our Spanish customers who do this time period to reenact the historical dress.
Would some of our experts on this period please add their thoughts here also?-jim_goss

Jim,
Very kind of you, thanks.
Now, I would LOVE to see some photos from anyone that has attended any actual reenactments of this.. well just about 'any' war to be honest. 
I have only attended one of these events myself, many years ago. It was the reenactment of a lesser known skirmish which took place during the ACW, ironically not far from my own, 'once' much smaller hometown in central Fla. 

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 21 13 6:59 PM

So far, my companies of WSS troops are wearing the floppy hats on the sprues....no tri-corners for me.

THAT said.....I have plans for a colonial period campaign. Rebellions will flash up...island colony by colony. I will be using different hats from the leftovers I have accumulated to date.

By the by.....I REALLY......LOVE my WSS artillery. I want MORE of them.devil

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help