Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 3 13 6:20 PM

Tags : :

I thought I would share some pictures of the game I ran this weekend at Cincycon. The pictures in order are: Initial set up. The left horn 480 Zulus. The chest 720 zulus. The advance begins. The right horn shows up 400 zulus. Beginning of the end. I enjoyed running the game and the players seemed to enjoy themselves as well. Not exactly in order keeps loading odd.

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#1 [url]

Mar 4 13 1:42 AM

rxpjks,
Amazing... Totally Amazing!   
1600 Zulus..  To borrow a quote from the sci-fi film 'Spawn". "Daa-mned!"  devil

Im sure I have asked this before so excuse the repeatition but what Rule system were you running?
Also, just how many and what type of defenders (British regulars, Cavalry, etc) were holding the 'encampment'?

Based on the subtle phrase.."Beginning of the end" lol.. IM guessing that the British were infact over run and defeated.
God I wish I had a much steadier hands.. its really frustrating me trying to paint my brits and make the lines outlinning those nice "white" belts n' straps look sharp and neat.
I SO want to run TSATF or even a round of Black Powder with my very own WF Wars of thje Empire miniatures. 

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#3 [url]

Mar 4 13 6:20 AM

"Zulu's-Thousands of 'em"....Coz we haven't all heard that before...

Man that is out of this world-Great pics and looks like an Ace game!

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 4 13 10:59 AM

I was using a very simple home grown set. One sheet, very fast play. The British had 6 companies, each made up of 16 figures with an officer, 2 mounted units of 8 each, 2 artillery pieces and 2 Natal native companies of 16 each with a commander. The game was actually pretty close until the right horn broke through the Natal foot and hit the line companies from the rear. One unit of  horse managed to escape. If you want your figures painted quickly and cheaply I use Philgreg painters out of Sri Lanka. Comes out to about $2.10 a figure with shipping. Usually about a 3 month turn around. Just send really good pictures or a sample of what you want.
Keith

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#5 [url]

Mar 4 13 10:07 PM

Rxpjks,

Thanks for the update. That has to be a pretty cool set of rules.
Ive never heard of that 'painting service'..  Sri Lanka?   
Wow I cant imagine. Now were not talking Sri Lanka New Jersey or Alamba right? LOL 

Granted, I'd say if ya got the money to spare, thats a fair price, per soldier. But have to say adding an extra $63 to the cost of a single set of 30 mini's, that can get expensive when your talking about an army of 'dozens' of soldiers.

Any way you could scan and share the rules with us? Ironic to ask considering the trouble I have with PDF's. LOL.

Thanks agian.. that game sounds like was great to play.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#7 [url]

Mar 9 13 7:09 AM

Rxpjks

I checked into the website for "philgregpainters" and I'd like a bit more information if you dont mind from your own experience.
It turns out (once again) its 'news to me' that apparently Sri Lanka is the hot spot of many of these services. A friend told me that basically the way it works is; You send your mini's to a US address and they in turn reship them, along with others as a single bulk order to the painters themselves.
However the only address the website gave was directly to Sri Lanka.

My Question; Did you send yours directly via Air Mail to the overseas destination?

Im curious because Im consideng using something like this myself for my British. Which thanks to their beautiful detail, Im finding a bit more challenging than my hand/eyes can deal with at this stage of lifes game.
No body is touching my Zulus.. 'Thems mine to paint!' They rock.LOL grin 

Thanks

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Mar 9 13 1:52 PM

I send mine direct to Sri Lanka. I have been dealing with Philip (Phil greg painters) for about 10 years now. I have been very happy with the results and the turn around time.  It usually takes around 3 months. Shipping is the biggest expense. The return shipping is the worst. Around $40 to $50 The package is sent via UPS or FEDEX with a required signature. From here I just ship regular US mail.
Around $20. The more you send the cheaper per figure. The shipping back is based on destination. So sending 100 is better than sending 20 in the long run. The more information you send the better. A sample painted figure or color pictures is best. I try to send 100 figures every 2 months. $100 a month will get you 600 28mm very nicely painted figures in a year. The landsknecht painted samples on his website are mine.

Keith

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#10 [url]

Mar 10 13 12:26 AM

First of all, thank you very much for the information Rxpjks.

'However".. $40 to $50.. shipping.. JUST to get them back.. OMG (Im feeling faint).
Let me do this 'on paper'  just to see it for myself. Hang on..

$24  for 30 WF Zulus (S/H and all)  Love that part so many for so little.
   20  to ship them out
   45  to paint (30 x 1.50 ea. according to rate list)
   40  return shipping (minimum est)
$129  (estimating) to buy / Ship, Have Painted, Return Shipping for just 30 miniatures. 

Guys dont get me wrong, Im certainly NOT expecting something for nothing. I certainly know that 'hand painted'  anything is going to Cost, but have to say.. as you put it Keith, the shipping "thats the worst". 
In my everyday situation (responsibilities).. theres just No Way I can even imagine that kind of money just for hobbies right now.
(sigh) Oh Well it was a nice dream while it lasted. Back to doing the best I can do. Queen Victoria's troops deserve better. LOL 

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Mar 10 13 7:50 AM

That is why you send 100 at a time. More is better.
$150 for the painting
$20 to ship over
$40 to ship back
total $210
$2.10 per figure to have painted.
I do not include the purchase price of the figure as no painting service I know includes the figure in the price. I save a little money each month. When I have enough I get an order together. I do paint a lot of mine myself. For large games I try to paint 1/3 have 1/3 painted and try to find some already painted bargains to purchase. If you combine your painting request with others you can drastically reduce the price per figure. If you get 3-4 people to send 30 each you will see a huge decrease in the cost.
Good painting.
Keith

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#13 [url]

Mar 10 13 11:16 AM

I actually find the painting the most fun part in some wayseven more so than gaming, certainly it's my 'relaxation therapy' of choice, however I can understand why people would pay for painted figs.

Lack of time,is probably the big factor in this along with simply being daunted by painting large numbers of figs and keeping a higher end paint job throughout. Paints tools etc being expensive in relation to figs especially if you're just starting out would also contribute, though naturally as you progress and stay with the hobby your paint and tool collection will expand.

It's certainly a dream job for many, including myself, however to reach to fine balance of it being profitable compared to a normal 9-5 must be tough, and you have to be very good and consistent-I'd love to do it but I'm not that good lol!

I couldn't afford to buy painted figs or have mine painted for me to be fair, so it's never cropped up on the radar for me, though I understand the attraction. Especially having seen the bang up jobs on some pro painter sites.

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Mar 11 13 2:56 AM

Yes most of my figures are professionally painted these days, I just don't have the time to paint myself. Plus its a pain putting on the glasses so I can see what I am painting.

If you think two hours to paint a figure and someone charges £3 or £4 to paint it, its much better for them to be working in a real job.

I think the hobby splits into three aspects; gaming, painting and background. And you choose the proportion of those that suits you best.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help