Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 10 13 7:52 PM

Tags : :

One nice thing about the Colonial Period is many armies can work outside one theatre of warfare. Such as the British, American, and to a lesser degree other European powers including Japan.

One area that has seen little in the way of miniatures is American Colonialism. While many know of the Spanish American War, and the Moro Wars, few know of the conflict between the Spanish and Americans in the Philipines, nor the Philipino Armies of Liberation vs. the American forces after the Spanish withdrew. These war not the Moros, and fought in a more European manner, along with guerrila tactics. The nice thing is this army along with both the Spanish and Americans can be used in other theatres such as the Banana Republic Wars fought by the American and Spanish against local peoples of Central America. The Americans also can do duty with the Colonial wars in China. Many uniforms of may powers were simular in style and design, but with different helmets or hats in many cases. Why not look carefully and make a line where you can use bodies of just a few types with weapon and head swaps to produce a wide range of figures for both friendly and enemy forces. I believe you will find it quite cost effective.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

potter

superstar

#1 [url]

Mar 11 13 5:47 AM

One of my fave Colonial era events was the Boxer Rebellion. There are figures available for the Boxer Rebellion but they can be relatively expensive (depending upon who you get them from-Foundry for example) and few and far between.

Brigade iirc do make some Rough Rider figures for the Pancho Villa expedition which have a lot of uses. The Pulp figs are also useful, but more so for skirmish sized games. Bob Murch's are ideal and a nice fun set of figs full of daring do.

The only plastic suitable that I know of would be WGF British Redcoats (with suitable paint jobs and some shaving on the rifles) depending upon the theatre of operations, WGF's Zulu's and Numidians, Warlord Zulu's and Perry Sudanese Mahdists.

It would be nice to get some Askari in plastic or Boxers. I've seen Askari converted from ACW plastics, but they aren't 'quite right' if you know what I mean.

It's always amazed me that forces for the Alamo and Mexican Wars were never available in plastic as I thought these would have been huge sellers in the USA.

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#2 [url]

Mar 11 13 6:32 AM

When I think of colonial combat I'm always hit with a picture of steam river boats armed to the teeth with maxim machine guns and riflemen floating down hostile rivers with natives launching ambush attacks from jungle shadows and attempting to board the riverboat via canoe.  I can see this bing a very fun game.  the river boat having 10 rounds to get across the table.  In fact does anyone know of such a game? I'd be interested.   

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#3 [url]

Mar 11 13 9:12 AM

Such games do exist though the rule set names escape me atm.

Redoubt did the resin steam boat kit for 28mm and very nice it is too (I know I used to have one!). It's designed for 28mm figs so is waterline and may seem 'basic' to some but it's designed to be used and have room for figs to move round on. You can also always add your own details, barrels, life belts etc. Not cheap though iirrc.

I believe a number of other companies do Steamboat kits, and Nordfelt and Gardner guns are readily available. Copplestone do some lovely examples. Gattling and Maxims likewise are available through other manufacturers. French Foreign Legion troops may be worth checking out also.

Ainsty Castings do/did a selection of waterfront models perfect for this era as well as at least one small boat. Canoes are also available if you poke round on the web.

I like the idea of North West Frontier Colonial/Pulp era gaming so I really enjoyed 'A Good Day to Die.' As a play list, I'd recommend it for gaming up to and including the 20's and 30's. Bit later than Colonial but easy to amend.

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#4 [url]

Mar 11 13 11:24 PM

..uniforms of many powers were simular in style and design, but with different helmets or hats in many cases. Why not  ..make a line where you can use bodies of just a few types with weapon and head swaps to produce a wide range of figures for both friendly and enemy -gamerinexile

Gamerinexile,
I love that idea. As Im not that familar with the history of specific uniforms, I was not aware that many or 'any' nations for that matter, had close similarity to one another. If WF researcher's can find, I'd say at least 3, differant nations whose 'basic' uniforms were a really close match. As you suggest, just add in the appropriate weapons and helmet/hats required to make that set acurate to a specific nation for the time. I too think it would be a seller.

Potter,
I knew someone would mention the Boxer Rebellion, if not, I would. LOL That would be cool. Im sure many of us are thinking or recalling see the film based on that period; "55 Days at Peking".
On that same note, the Colonial period and films, another, "The Last Samurai" I think would be a good inspiration for making early Japanese Colonial troops.

Also, though I have not even begun the research, I have constantly had in the back of my mind the idea of making "Nubian" troops.  Again, I have yet to do the proper research but off the top of my head Im guessing WF Numidian bodies with Zulu heads/arms would be the best solution to making these.
Then again for just something different, combine Numidian bodies + Zulu head/arm's + Viking round shields / swords.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 12 13 4:40 AM

everyone,

I loved the Boxer Rebellion based miniatures game I played many years ago at a game convention. Everyone had either a faction or sub command, great fun and very popular. 

While it is based 21 years after the Boxer Rebellion, Steve McQueen in the Sand Pebbles will be THE river gunboat movie to me. Steve McQueen got an Academy Award nomination for this movie. What a war flick!

Jim

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Mar 12 13 7:05 PM

I will pull out my research in the near future and compare to get you those army options that work together. I know the Banana Republics/Spanish/Fillipino Liberationist/African nationals all work on the base same figure with head swaps and weapon swaps. They would also work for peasants of various nations with head swaps also.

As for the European Nations, I will have to do some more research and get back to you to be positive. I will go by factual data, and not movies. History can be far more stranger and interesting.

Shawn

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#7 [url]

Apr 23 13 7:13 PM

Post-1870 most European armies seem to have copied the German uniform style and for the most part wore pith helmets or slouch hats in the field. The French were a partial exception, and there was a subset of nations that followed their styles.

Zulu Wars plastics make a good conversion base for this period (the main visual difference being in the rifles used), and there are a few good tribal options available in 28mm plastic now too. The Perry Miniatures ACW Zouaves are pretty much spot on for actual French Zouave uniforms all through the period and would just need attention to their weapons (though native troops were often still armed with similar rifle-muskets.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#9 [url]

May 5 13 6:23 AM

I would 'love' to see some French Foreign Legionnaires be added to the Colonial line. They could easily find themselves in 'some' conflict with the British over God knows what, fighting God knows where. LOL

And I know it would not be 'exactly' accurate, but I think Persians armed with the muskets from the Zulu set would be a fairly close, even perfect as (imagi-nation) desert nomad, warriors.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 5 13 3:54 PM

Legion Etranger in the Sino-French War of 1884-85 would be fantastic as a subject. For starters, they too wore the tropical helmet just like much of the rest of the European colonial powers forces on overseas duty:

Click here to view the attachment

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

mrinku

superstar

#11 [url]

May 5 13 4:04 PM

Awesome reference pictures Leyland :)

Anglo-French conflict is a staple of "what if?" Colonial gaming. Tensions regarding spheres of influence in Africa came to a head a few times in the last quarter of the 19th century, most famously in the Fashoda Incident, though war was averted.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

May 5 13 4:04 PM

(cont.):

the handy thing about these French troops is that they'd be right at home in France's 19th centiury campaigns in Indochina as well, and their primary antagonists in both conflicts were Chinese troops and mercenaries of the Q'ing Dynasty, who would also be suitable for everything from the Taiping Rebellion to the Boxer Rebellion, and even as henchmen for Pulp Fiction games. 

Here's some of the Black Flag Army troops that fought the French in Indochina during the final decades of the 19th Century:

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

May 5 13 4:07 PM

One more thing, is that a uniquely French piece of equipment was present on both sides of the conflict, the Mitrailleuse. The photo is of weapons captured by the French during the fighting in Indochina in the 1880s. The bigger piece in the foreground is the Mitrailleuse. The weapon was also THE standard French Navy machine gun for the period for shipboard use, along with their ubiquitous Hotchkiss 37mm and 47mm revolving cannons (which were used by the Imperial Russian Navy and US Navy as well).

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#14 [url]

Aug 18 13 9:54 PM

Hotchkiss 37mm and 47mm revolving cannons (which were used by the Imperial Russian Navy and US Navy as well). -luoshangzhi

I was just reading back over this section for fun and for some reason that image just stuck in my mind. The thought of facing volley's of 37, not even to think of 47mm shells, would (and does) scare the hell out of me. But then I think if you were a soldier in that day and time, and it 'didnt', then you clearly did not fully grasp the situation at hand.
BTW, I have no idea why I felt compeled to share that.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#15 [url]

Aug 18 13 10:03 PM

More to the subject.. 
Doe's anyone know of a company that does British Cavalry, lancers in particular, in Plastic that would be suitable (accurate) for the Zulu wars?

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Aug 19 13 3:59 AM

jack,

Since they would be less form fitting to ride a horse what about Persian cavalry legs and British Infantry bodies? Or maybe WSS cavalry???

Has anyone tried a kit bash to make these?

Jim

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#17 [url]

Aug 19 13 2:33 PM

I've converted Perry ACW cavalry to lancers, using WGF pith helmets and the caisson poles as lances (you get three per set), though there are any number of suitable plastic spears around.

Officers and buglers don't carry lances, and some of the torsos are less suitable, so I was able to get 6 out of the 12 model kit without too much trouble. 

Making regular cavalry (i.e. mounted infantry in the late colonial era) is even easier, though it depends on the carbine you want to model. Martini-Henrys are easily done from WGF Zulu sets. Lee-Metfords and Lee-Enfields would need some breech conversion work. Though any carbines still in the holster will look the same as the butts are pretty much universal. In the ones below I just added some putty to the ACW carbines. Note that US ACW and British equipments do differ a bit... I haven't totally been correct with some of the saddle and blankets kit here, but the main one is that the British hang their sabre off the saddle, not the belt, and use a carbine holster instead of a hook and ring attachment. I am fortunate to own both the relevant Osprey books :)

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#18 [url]

Aug 19 13 7:07 PM

Jim,
I appreciate your suggestion about using Persian cav. lower torsos', and I do have 50 Brits, I guess I could 'cannibalize' 10 of them, keep a 'platoon' of 40 regular Inf. but that would only give me a cav. unit of 10 men.

Mrinku,
I think those look great. But I have to say, I do hate the idea of buying a set of 12 and only 'being able' to use half of the set for what I actuallly bought it for. Unlike many model builders, I dont keep a big bits box. Mostly due to finances, I tend to use what I buy.

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#19 [url]

Aug 20 13 1:17 AM

Jack,

Well, to be honest it depends on how fussy you are. I was happy with the six I did, so stopped after running out of spears in that kit. There are plenty of sword arms (enough for each model) so you can have some of them armed in that mode, and it wouldn't take much to convert the lot. One of the four torso designs has a more open jacket with a pistol thrust in the belt... but that can be filed or cut off and repaired with putty, or left for a less uptight officer.

And... if you happen to know anyone using these for ACW, they are likely to have LOTS of the banner arms spare. There's one per four troopers due to the sprue design, but each unit only needs one.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#20 [url]

Aug 20 13 2:50 PM

Mrinku,
Its not so much being an issue of "fussy". Granted no one would put Greatcoats on the battlefield and call them WW II German storm troopers lol. So yea, you do want them to look as close as possible to being historically accurate.
Lets face it, our hobby budgets are limited resource's, so I have to get the most out of it.

Jim,
I never really even considered WSS. Just looking at them, it 'looks' like they could work. I would just have to come up with a dozen British heads/ pith helmets.
The lance's arent that big of a deal, I have plenty of Zulu spears I could use. Granted I 'know' that a spear and a lance are two different weapons, but Im pretty sure a little file work could help lessen the look in the differences.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help