Remove this ad

mrinku

superstar

#21 [url]

Aug 20 13 3:44 PM

Jack, you probably read me wrong. Apart from headgear, the base uniforms for ACW are pretty close to what all nations wore from post-Crimea through to the end of the century. It's all sack coats and trousers. Belts and straps vary a bit, but are among the easiest of conversions anyway. Footwear varies between shoes, boots and gaiters, but again is easy to convert with files, knives and putty.

One of the reasons I stopped doing more lancers was that I wanted to use some of the remaining models for other projects anyway. One ended up as a western sherriff, and I'll likely do a couple more cowboys. Plus this was more of a "proof of concept" project. The remaining torsoes weren't *as* suitable, but would have done okay with minor work.

Were I *needing* more lancers, I'd happily convert the rest of the 12 in a heartbeat, probably posing some in the lance charge position.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#22 [url]

Aug 21 13 12:14 AM

Jack, you probably read me wrong.

Mrinku,  "No harm, no foul" I always say. 

Apart from headgear, the base uniforms for ACW are pretty close to what all nations wore from post-Crimea through to the end of the century.  One ended up as a western sherriff, and I'll likely do a couple more cowboys. -mrinku

And I have to say, I do appreciate the information  regarding the "base uniforms" of the time period. I had no idea that the 'world' per say, had fallen into such a.. 'commonality' (for lack of better term) during the turning of the century.
You know.. I have always enjoyed 'reading' history, but so many of you guys have shown me, with your knowledge regarding weapons, equipment and perhaps most important uniform details, that like many of you, I should have gone beyond simply a reader of history and more of a "student".
Thanks again.

Oh and you do know now.. Im going to be expecting (seriously hopeing) to see how that "Sheriff" conversion turned out. Another "I would have never thought of doing that". LOL  But very eager to see the result.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#23 [url]

Aug 21 13 6:21 PM

I'll post a picture of that tonight. Conversion was done ages ago but for some reason I hadn't uploaded the picture to Photobucket. Very minimal conversion - just removed the sabre, changed the cavalry bucket stirrups to U-shaped metal ones and added an old Mordheim accessory sprue rope coil as saddle decoration. Several of the Perry hats in the kit look fine for civilians, and I used a pistol arm.

I'm making some Apache using WGF Ancient Germans and longarms from the Zulus, but balked at the ugly horses. But I got some of the Persian horses, which are *much* nicer and will use those instead. No timeframe on that project... I *really* need to finish off the pre-apocalyse civilians and a couple of other projects.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#24 [url]

Aug 22 13 12:59 AM

Here you go:

I'll probably add a star to him as well.

Also... regarding uniforms, there was quite a bit more variation in the dress uniforms, which were often much the same as Napoleonic days, especially in the cavalry, and for small states. But for all the big nations that actually fought wars, practical concerns won out.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#27 [url]

Aug 23 13 1:33 AM

I should take a shot from the right-rear angle - this one doesn't show his holster or gunbelt (which was pretty basic putty work, but adds a lot).

I really can't take too much credit... 90% of what you see is stock Perry out of the box.

Oh, I should mention that Perry 28mm are just a *touch* smaller than current WGF. Their boys will look a little shorter standing next to, say Apocalypse Survivors, but it's well within normal height variation. 5'10" vs 6'1", perhaps. They have fairly realistic proportions, too, so ironically the pith helmets from the old short-and-stout redcoats are a little large. But within acceptable variation (there were various designs of pith helmet used). You can't really use the hats from the Perry kit with the British Firing Line models. 

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Aug 24 13 2:23 AM

[quote:jim_goss]jack, ..what about Persian cavalry legs and British Infantry bodies?  Has anyone tried a kit bash to make these?Jim [/quote] Jim, these leads me to ask another question. Since you mentioned the Persian Cav 'legs' with British bodies, it has me wondering..
"Has anyone tried to kit bash British upper torso's with "kneeling" Persian legs?"  Im beginning to consider 'chopping' some of my 50 in order to form a front rank for a traditional firing line.
If anyone has, I would very much like to hear how well (or not) the British / Persian torso's and legs matched up.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

mrinku

superstar

#31 [url]

Aug 31 13 3:28 AM

Only comment (apart from well done!) would be to check the guns against what the troops you are representing were issued with. I'm *fairly* certain that Zouaves in French service would have been using similar rifle-muskets with minnie balls as ACW troops for much of the latter half of the 19th C, but at some point they probably used breech loading rifles and bolt action ones. And make sure the skin tones match up with the units you're representing.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Aug 31 13 4:02 AM

Cheers for the comments.

The rifles are fine for the early period, and can even represent breech loaders converted from rifle-muskets.

The white zouave is a european, the black soldier is Sengalese and the tirallieur is Algerian (the skin tone is darker than it apperas on  the photo).

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#33 [url]

Oct 10 13 12:48 PM

bryanbowdell   I've been working on some colonial French, using Perry Zouaves and their Mahdist range"

Bryanbowdell,
I really like the look of these and would love to see more of your Zouave(s) once or if you have completed them. I too have had my eyes on the PM Mahdist set for sometime, not to mention the Zouaves.
IIRC as a general rule the British army had changed to the khaki uniform by the time these conflicts broke out. I would have to check for more specific dates, but "I think" some of these North African conflicts were close enough to the Zulu period, that you could 'get away' with using the traditional redcoat in games. (the quartermaster hadnt issued the unit their New uniforms yet. Yea that works)

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#35 [url]

Oct 12 13 11:39 AM

1885 was the last time the red coat was worn in the field, but since the khaki issue was of identical cut, it's merely a matter of paint choice.

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#36 [url]

Nov 13 13 3:43 PM

Just received an order from Perry Miniatures with an eye toward more colonial/VSF projects. Box set of Ansar Sudanese and some loose command sprues, ACW Zouaves and Confederate infantry, Napoleonic dragoons on foot and a Napoleonic Russian infantry one.

The Sudanese are an extremely good set that can be used for a wide range of tribal/askari projects without conversion, and many, many more projects as bits and conversion fodder. The ACW and the Russian officer models are close enough to later 19th century military and naval dress that they are pretty much good to go (Zouave officer = normal French officer for example), but the selling point for the Russian sprue for me was the peaked cap heads. Russia invented that hat and returned to it for military use for most of the century (with brief periods of shakos being in vogue). The spare troopers from the Reb and Zouave sprues are good in themselves - ACW infantry are an easy convert to 19th c civilians or militia and the Zouave look is good for all sorts of North African characters. Oh, and the Sudanese come with eight Remington rolling block rifles, which will make a nice change from Martini Henrys for civilian hunter figures :)

The dragoons look to be handy for dress uniform models, especially cavalry ones. Most of my projects are with an eye toward roleplaying games, so a few made up for balls, coronations or other social occasions are handy. I'm in the process of converting a couple of the Apoc and Amazon girls into Victorian dress, too, and one of those is a ballgown (with derringer).

As usual, I'll get some shots up when I've done some work. Sorry to spruik the competiton, but, y'know, it's the Perrys. And not in direct competition with WGF at the moment in this regard. WGF colonial parts will almost certainly be added to the projects, though.

Last Edited By: mrinku Nov 13 13 3:56 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help