Remove this ad

bryon31

superstar

#41 [url]

Aug 21 13 5:40 AM

If we're making wish lists, I want the new historical line to be either El Cid era (Spanish Reconquista) or 1st Crusade era Christian and Muslim warriors in 28mm plastic.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

mrinku

superstar

#42 [url]

Aug 21 13 6:08 PM

Re: Wild West

WGF have a sensible history of bringing out products in line with existing popular rules sets. WW2 US and Germans for Bolt Action, WSS and Zulus for Black Powder, etc. There are a number of Zombie rules floating about, though the Apoc Survivors work just as well as armed (or unarmed with minor work) civilians for any modern setting.

28mm wild west skirmish is pretty popular at the moment (Blackwater Gulch, Dead Man's Hand etc), and there are no other companies making plastics for it that I know of. The range would also be handy for VSF, Colonial and even ACW - typically wild west is 1870's.

Jim said a *new* historical setting, so I think we can rule out expansions to Colonial, WW2 or Ancients at this point. ACW is a definite possibility though... except you'd be going head-to-head with the Perrys. Likewise for Napoleonics... both Perrys and Victory have 28mm plastic pretty much sewn up. But both settings are massively popular and the market may well bear more players.

Otherwise.. 1635 is a good year. Musketeers, 30 Years' War and Piracy. And while Warlord have 28mm plastics for that era, there are gaps in their line to exploit (no plastic artillery for a start).

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#43 [url]

Aug 21 13 7:33 PM

Re: Wild West    Jim said a *new* historical setting, so I think we can rule out expansions to Colonial, WW2 or Ancients at this point. -mrinku

Mrinku,
Excellent attention to detail.  Looking back at what Jim posted your exactly right, he did say, "..next year an awesome new historical line!" not 'an addition TO our historical etc.' but a new line all together.
ACW would probably the most likely, just a hunch here no idea why.
I think the Nap' wars would be tough to get into to say the least, simply because it seems 'everybody' out there has their own line covering that conflict.
Personally, even though its a long shot I would still like to see the Aztec and Conquistadors, or perhaps Highlanders.

Bryon31 does make a good suggestion..  the crusades are pretty popular as well. Knights in 'shinning armor', always fun.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#44 [url]

Aug 21 13 7:54 PM

Could still be a new "ancient" line. In theory the Japanese can be lumped in with the Greeks and Romans (they commonly appear in Ancient rule sets' army lists - i.e. Warhammer Ancients - despite not being classical) so one of the medieval or other renaissance armies could well count as "new historical line".

Any of the above suggestions along those lines, also maybe the 16th century for some Renaissance action. Though I don't think it's an overly popular period based on what people are selling. On the other hand... they could be trying to sneak in some sales to the Warhammer Fantasy crowd. WHF Empire troops are basically Landsknechte. They could, in all safety, do a line of Landsknechte and make a packet undercutting GW :)

Would also meet the criteria of only needing one set of kits for all sides - Landsknechte were the universal mercenaries of their era and routinely fought each other.

But I'm still hoping for cowboys :)

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#45 [url]

Aug 22 13 6:29 AM

Cowboys do sound fun. I grew up in Southern Arizona. I played football in Tombstone. My Great Grandfather worked for the Sierra Bonita Ranch . He actually bought part of it and my parents live and work there today. In fact I'm going there this weekend to help mom and dad with some branding. The area is at the epicenter of the Wild West. Fort Grant, a US Army outpost during the Apache wars is in the same valley. The old Fort is still there; however, the area is now a State Prison and is a beacon of light in the otherwise darkness of nowhere.

What I'm trying to say is I grew up in an area that was in many ways an epicenter of the Wild West. Billy the Kid (The claim is he murdered his first man at the Bonita Store near Ft. Grant, I've seen the poor sods grave located near the old store), the Earp’s, Cochise, and Geronimo all roamed the range I call home. So I have a special place in my heart for cowboys. I suppose I could even be classified a cowboy. So Cowboys in 28mm plastic would be pretty cool. I just don't know how I could justify buying more than a box or two. Cowboys didn't run around / ride around en’mass. So there would be no reason to build an army of them. 28mm Apache's and US Cavalry would be nice. Or for that matter give the Apache's a multitude of heads so they could represent Sioux as well.

I'd have them for novelty sake.  But I'd be really interested in the generic Cattle set Jack mentioned somewhere.  Then I could make some diaramas from mom and dad that I know they'd like.  If going for just cowboys maybe an integrated set that includes 8 cowboys on foot with matching 8 cowboys on horses + A Waggon w/ driver and cook.  That'd be nice, would make for some great modeling opportunities.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#47 [url]

Aug 22 13 8:23 PM

I must admit the classic "Cowboys & Indians" scenario is always a fun one, but Bryon31 does make one very good point, its not the kind of thing anyone as rule is likely to buy in large numbers.
However I do think it would be great for western wargames and RPG's.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#48 [url]

Aug 23 13 1:23 AM

All very valid points about volume numbers for Old West. Though I would have thought the same would apply to Apocalypse Survivors... and some of those range wars involved fairly large mobs, as well as US Army vs native Americans and inter-tribal skirmishes. Don't forget skirmish gaming tends to be 1:1... you may not end up using much less in terms of figures gaming wild west than ancients, even though the actual numbers of combatants were wildly different.

Just thought of another possible - modern military.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Aug 23 13 11:51 AM

Cowboys (and Indians) would be a great idea and take WF out into the market of toys rather than just wargames.

-zedeyejoe

And there's an angle that so many Wild West gamers miss out on, one that can justify relatively large numbers of mounted figures per side, namely fights between rival Native American tribes. Imagine a skirmish game pitting dozens of Hunkpapa Sioux against a like number of Crow. Depending upon the parts mix in a box of mounted Plains Indians, one could get the necessary differences in appearance between traditionally hostile Native American tribes or nations:

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#52 [url]

Aug 24 13 2:02 AM

And there's an angle that so many Wild West gamers miss out on,   namely fights between rival Native American tribes.-luoshangzhi

Its so ironic isnt it? We look at europe and we see, English, French, German, etc. but we look at the native Americans.. then its, "youve seen one indian, ya seem um all'.
We dont give a moments thought to the fact each tribe had there own customs and like any other culture, had their differences, which often led to conflict even all out wars. Wars that were fought decades even generations before the "white man" ever arrived to these shores.

Quote    Reply   

macasm

superstar

#53 [url]

Aug 24 13 6:16 AM

So, if Cowboys and Indians were, WERE, to be the next release it seems we have some interest here.
That the Indians, (and I use the term that is in general acceptance here in the land the Great Spirit touched, by the Ottawa and Chippewa tribes), fought each other should come as no surprise to anyone that has read Last of the Mohicans or history in general.
The "Cowboys" would also provide many hours of Gunfight play. And, when you include, or have a separate box of women, both cowgirls and Indian, you have a winner.

Just my never humble opinion.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Aug 24 13 11:06 PM

IMHO a multi-player/multi-faction knock-down drag-out battle between say 6 players on a side each controlling a dozen mounted warriors led by a chief or senior warrior of some renown would make for a swirling, seat-of-the-buckskin fight. Toss in rules for counting coup and such and Bob's yer uncle, Buffalo Road Calf Woman's yer aunt.

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Aug 25 13 3:39 AM

everyone,

So, Cowboys and Indians? Does anyone have a set of rules (board game or miniatures) that they like?

Also Daisy asked on Facebook for your favorite Apocalypse/Zombie miniatures rule system. Could everyone also answer this question as well?

Thank you.

Jim

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Aug 25 13 8:05 AM

My preference on the apocalypse rules (and probably would be for a western set) is the Jim Goss specials.  

I don't always buy plastic, but when I do, I prefer simple, fun, engaging rules to go with them. 

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#59 [url]

Aug 26 13 1:09 AM

One thing that turned my head towards the fact that there is a lot of interest in wild west at the moment was when I was looking for 28mm buildings for modern cities. Found a couple that were doing that, a few doing WW2 ruins, lots of fantasy/medieval, and at least FOUR seperate manufacturers doing extensive ranges of wild west buildings. That HAS to indicate a market (at least for terrain :)

http://www.sarissa-precision.co.uk/store/oldwest25/

http://store.gcmshop.com/c/127/28mm-wild-west

http://www.wargame-buildings.com/blackwater-gulch.html

http://www.4ground.co.uk/Default.aspx?page=314

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Aug 26 13 4:30 AM

azsam,

Thank you!

everyone,

WF continues to search for good rules systems that play well with our miniatures. This is a serious request for the survivors rules.

With the completion of the Apocalypse females we now have the full apocalypse ready to do battle. Additional rules suggestions that cover the survivors would be greatly appreciated.

To me, the voting appears to be going toward a more RPG type run system like the THW set. 

Has anyone played a rule system more focused on massive battles between zombies and survivors?

Jim

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help