Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 13 13 4:47 PM

Tags : :

Painted up some WSS infantry as Russians for the Great Northern War. Used some as pikemen.
Really should only have 2-3 but I like the look.

Click here to view the attachment
Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#1 [url]

Apr 13 13 10:58 PM

Painted up some WSS infantry as Russians for the Great Northern War. Used some as pikemen.    Really should only have 2-3 but I like the look.-rxpjks

Rxpjks,
They really look great. Im totally with you on the look of the pikemen, very cool. In fact I was wondering if WSS troops, with the addition of "several" more pikemen could in fact be used for ECW as well?
I really like the look of entire pike units however by the WSS, it seems the pike was all but none existent in warfare.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#3 [url]

Apr 14 13 3:25 PM

Ace stuff!

@Jack-I know what you mean about the figs for ECW, I'd had the same idea for bulking out my Warlord figs. Sadly the uniforms are off by a fair few years (about 40 iirc) as are many of the hats. You'd also have to snip off the bayonets.Mind you unless you have button counters for opponents, I'm sure you could get away with it.

They could be used for Great Northern War scenarios (great idea rxpjks) however with ease, as well as many other conflicts of this era.

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 14 13 6:21 PM

potter

I have used some of my WSS floppy hat wearing "pikes" mixed into pike units of ECW troops. I also have 20-30 musket armed, floppy hat wearing, WSS. They are painted in darker colours. For now I have not clipped off the bayonets from the musketeerswink

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#5 [url]

Apr 15 13 2:30 AM

Potter,

Thanks for the accurate information. I actually was curious; "just how close too or far off" are the WSS uniforms from the ECW? 
Im more into psych / philosophy books, though as many if not all of us here, I too love history.
My first thoght was as Crazyharborc mentioned, the floppy hats, and also the "round helmets", from the WSS Cav sets would work great for an ECW conversion. At least IMO they seem to be close if not 'very' close to..'the Round heads" if Im recalling that correctly.

As for the bayonets.. if you were really going to make an ECW force from them, I say "snip-snip" go the bayonet if its more accurate. lol
Now as for the A CURSED "Button Counters"  well theres always one lerking around. (No matter how often you 'spray').
Thats why I Personaly, prefer to have "Friends that game" rather than "(B C) Gamers as friends."
Friends like myself, "Want things to look accurate.. but they dont have to be Perfect. Its about the Fun and Friendship.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#6 [url]

Apr 15 13 4:34 AM

You could use the Lobster Pot Helm from the cav actually Jack, great idea btw! I forgot the cavalry came with these as I don't own a set. I also didn't realise they came with floppy hats, so even more scope for conversions.

You could then put together a Forlorn Hope. Foot slogging Troopers, or just more armoured Infantry to act as a storming party.

I think the cav come with Cuirass bodies, mixed the the 'legs' of the WSS Infantry, so even more possibilities there, as with the Pistol arms from the cavalry sets! Actually didn't someone on here do some ECW era cavalry with the WSS figs?

It's definately more of a possibility that I had originally anticipated, so I hope my earlier comments didn't put you off.

One thing to remember, there was very little uniformity, especially in the early days of the ECW, so there's alot of scope for experimentation. You could even have more smartly dressed Irish Lords/Nobles to lead rabble against the NMA.....though I have to admit I personally am in league with Cromwell...ahem...

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Apr 15 13 5:25 PM

I do know a couple of button counters too. I like slipping "it" past them. Sorry, no details (they may visit here)

I wargame to have fun. I paint (minies) to relax and BECAUSE I like minies better than counters or pieces of paper. I have no plans to see my minies in a museum display case anytime soon (or later).

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Apr 15 13 7:21 PM

I do know a couple of button counters too. I like slipping "it" past them. Sorry, no details (they may visit here)
I wargame to have fun. I paint (minies) to relax and BECAUSE I like minies better than counters or pieces of paper. I have no plans to see my minies in a museum display case anytime soon (or later).

-crazyharborc

Amen to that my friend

Death before Dishonor!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help