Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 13 13 4:50 PM

Tags : :

Just trying to get some opinions. Used the WF Persians bodies with Perry Zouave heads with the tassel cut off and the musket arms. Trying to decide if I need to cut off the bayonets.

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#2 [url]

Apr 13 13 11:21 PM

If your going to be making a 'general' or generic turkish unit, you could consider having some troops with and without, but 'with' certainly makes them appear more formidable.

More specifically, first I know this is a WIP, but I want to compliment you on "Keeping It Really Simple".
Basically your uniforms are nothing more than 'two colors'.. White w Yellow and White w Green. Then pick out a few details; the belt, weapon, a dark color for shoes, dab of red on the cap and thats it.
A great lesson to newcomers of our hobby, dont make MY common mistake..  over thinking, thus over complicating the uniform phase.
WELL DONE!

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 14 13 6:07 PM

Those two 'turks" look good.Jack is right-on. Over thinking, over painting...keep it simple.

May I add...those two Turks would look good with spears or with halberds (a turkish version)

Good paint jobs too.

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#4 [url]

Apr 15 13 3:08 AM

I have mentioned this before. . but it still BUGS me.. I dont know how or why, but Rxpjks, as you can see, my 'font' seems to be various sizes.. that is NOT my doing.
Lefora seems to have a mind of its own and will do that from time to time..   just wanted you to know.

ps  Do keep working on those turks and keep us informed.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#5 [url]

Apr 15 13 4:36 AM

They are ACE! Touches like these have so much going for them and soooooo many possibilities! Ottoman forces, Egyptian, Pirates, Afghani's, Indian troops etc etc etc...

GREAT idea and GREAT conversions!

I've said it before but I still think 17th-18th Century Janissary or Ottoman troops would be a winner. Whilst not the most popular army out there, I feel it's more because of lack of availability in 28mm (I can only think of TAG that make any) that stymies their popularity.

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#6 [url]

Apr 15 13 5:07 AM

I possibly would lose the bayonets, but as Lord Marcus said, it depends on what you're going for and what era.

For a lot of regulars I'd keep them, esp if for after 1690ish. For irregulars, rebels, tribesmen etc I'd lose them.

Ta!

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Apr 15 13 5:07 PM

I like the idea of some 28mm, plastic, Turk and or Ottoman minies, foot and mounted.

I am close to catching up with my paint (someday) backlog.

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Apr 16 13 11:20 AM

Potter methinks pegged the versatility of these conversions. I for one would keep the bayonets on one unit, remove them on other to differentiate unit quality...

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 16 13 11:23 AM

I like the idea of some 28mm, plastic, Turk and or Ottoman minies, foot and mounted. I am close to catching up with my paint (someday) backlog.

-crazyharborc

I for one would love some suitable Ottoman Turks, as their armies were often quite large and infantry-heavy, so plastic figures IMHO would make fielding Ottoman armies an affordable prospect...

The challenge is settling on the precise time period of the Ottoman Empire...

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#12 [url]

Apr 19 13 8:44 AM

rxpjks, Looks like your army is really shaping up well.
Great job!

-jim_goss

Totally agree on that one.  And thanks for posting the pics for us.

And I must  say, Potter was 'on target' when he mentioned without the bayonet helped to make them look as more rebel, or some what less trained and equiped, irregular class troops, to paraphraise Luoshangzhi.  Dont stop now..!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help