Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 20 13 3:50 AM

Tags : :

Does anyone know of a source of reusable stencils or templates for making military markings?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

macasm

superstar

#1 [url]

Apr 20 13 4:39 AM

Such as? Are you talking about rank stripes on individual figures, or nationality markings for tanks?
I know of no such templates made for this as of yet, transfers or decals yes, but templates no. I think the small size alone would be hard to produce a reusable stencil.

Quote    Reply   

macasm

superstar

#3 [url]

Apr 20 13 10:04 AM

For  15mm, Flames of War has several transfers for tanks, again that small, a reusable stencil would be tough, you would do better to use masking tape and have a go yourself. 28mm Warlord Games has a lot of decal sets for their line of armor.
Any good hobby shop should carry or have access to decal sheets with nothing but stars, both red and white and iron crosses in a multitude of scales. At 28mm and bigger (1/48th 1/56th scale and larger), masking tape may be the way to go depending on what else you want to put on.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 21 13 4:00 AM

macasm,

You have covered all my thoughts and suggestions. Thank you!

towerwarlock,

Your two references both say  "Painting and Assembly Required. Experience with Resin and photo-etch recommended." With that said I must say since WF is manufacturing 'hard plastic' your reference above is NOT being recommended by the web site you have posted. 

I also agree with the web site, and would recommend this product be used 'as suggested with the above figure material AND experience in photo etch strongly suggested.

Jim

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

macasm

superstar

#6 [url]

Apr 21 13 6:35 AM

Yepper! and 1/35th scale, 54mm or there about, is far larger than 28mm or 15mm gamer scale. If that is your preference, by all means give it a go, I do not wish to discourage anyone that is willing to step out of a comfort zone, and try new things. (I use stencils for my 1/20th scale Formula 1 race cars tires of the 70's. I am quite satisfied with the look, as the logo was actually spray painted on in that era, and none to neatly at times, which fits in quite nicely with my ability!)
Once you have the system of decals down (bad pun intended), you may feel differently.
I also can recommend Archer dry transfers, rub on decal system, a google search should yield results. I have used his letters with great success on different projects.
Good luck! please let us see your results!

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#9 [url]

Jun 1 13 3:28 PM

As a thought... for simple 5 point stars, you may be able to source stencils from arts and craft stores. Plus, there do exist hole punches in that style for card making and scrapbooking and such (some quite small), which you could use to make your own stencils. 

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help