Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

Lead

Apr 24 13 1:19 AM

Tags : :

Ive acquired armored and unarmored Vikings as well as a set of armored Saxons. Its my 'hope' that this will only be the beginning of building that fantasy Dark Age Undead army I have in my mind.
I wanted to post the first couple of shots of my slow WIP thus far. These are of course unarmored Viking bodies mixed w/ arms & heads from both Viking & Saxon sets.

Well here goes..  I love (hate) computers. devil

The first picture gives a more accurate image of the flesh tone ('buttermilk' & 'stone grey') I brightened the 2nd pic just a little too much Im afraid. I intend to give a 'very' thin grey wash to the flesh when done.

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Apr 24 13 3:52 AM

jack,

That is a great job! 

My thought is after it is completed, if you change your mind, you can just flesh tone the appropriate areas and viola; a Dark Ages mercenary/bandit war band! Thieves R US?

Jim

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#2 [url]

Apr 24 13 5:58 AM

Great looking Z's Jack!

I actually like the 'flesh' tones, nice and understated, not covered in gore

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#3 [url]

Apr 24 13 10:12 PM

jack,
That is a great job! 
My thought is..   if you change your mind, you can just flesh tone the appropriate areas and viola; a Dark Ages mercenary/bandit war band! Jim

Jim Thank You.  And you 'hit the mark' on 'Plan B', if it doesnt work out. Im even considering a small (10) man unit of 'armored' undead (chainmail), but thats more of an idea than part of the plan. It does look like I may have to go 'shopping' to get some extra unarmord bodies, but thats down the road.

Great looking Z's Jack!
I actually like the 'flesh' tones, nice and understated, not covered in gore -potter

Thank you Potter.  First it was my intention to have a "gore free zombie zone" ). Just MHO, but I think the 'blood' does tend to get a bit over done at times with the Zeds ya know? Now to be more specific on the flesh, I made it by starting with equal parts of "Americana Buttermilk" & "Reaper Master Series Stone Grey". Then just add a drop or two more of grey if you want more of an 'ash' look to the flesh.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#5 [url]

May 4 13 11:10 PM

HI guys, a bit of a WIP update for ya. But first I just have to share this.  I could not make this up...
When I signed on to my account tonight, the "Enter the Following" phrase was..:
"I like humans", without thinking I caught myself muttering..  "..for breakfast".  devil

AND sooo, with that heres my '3rd Rank' (hint rank undead - stink. nudge nudge, wink wink)

And my first 'class' (regiment) photo. Hopefully this will just be my 'first' of at least 2 or even 3 more Zombie regiments. As you can see guys, I have a 'bit' of detail work to do yet, not to mention some flocking of course. The 'leather' belts, 'maybe' a 2nd coat of "Grey Sky" wash that I used on all of the flesh areas and practically all of the clothing.
Opinions Please.
Do you think I need another 'wash' of grey to give the skin a more 'ashen' dead look or their 'good to go' as is?

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 5 13 4:08 AM

jack,

Second from the left in the brown hat looks to 'human' to me, the rest look great!

Now was it a twilight zone or a B & W movie? The aliens arrive "To Serve Humans". Turns out it was all about 'their' cookbook!

Jim

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#7 [url]

May 5 13 5:58 AM

jack,
Second from the left in the brown hat looks to 'human' to me, the rest look great! Jim

-jim_goss

Thank you Jim,
I'll see what I can do. Personally, I 'think' its the cap that gives them that 'too human'/ a little not quite dead enough look.  Perhaps another lite wash with the 'grey sky', to 'fade' the cloths a bit? What do you think? Or what would you do.. helpful critisizim always welcome.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 5 13 6:58 AM

Thank you Jim,I'll see what I can do. Personally, I 'think' its the cap that gives them that 'too human'/ a little not quite dead enough look.  Perhaps another lite wash with the 'grey sky', to 'fade' the cloths a bit? What do you think? Or what would you do.. helpful critisizim always welcome.

-jack

I think you are fine with the grey wash as is... too much and you might as well just have painted them grey and they start looking like old mashed potatoes instead of dead people... well maybe another coat on the clothing but leave the flesh bits alone for now... a darker muddy wash might also help a bit giving them a dirtier rather than washed out look but I would wait until you are happy with the dusty washes first and maybe try it on somebodies pants before going whole hog on everybody.  Even some dabs of dark green wash might do ok as mold and mildew.  And worst case leave them in storage for a couple of years then they should naturally get a bit of a grey wash :) 

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#9 [url]

May 5 13 2:04 PM

I think you are fine with the grey wash as is... too much and you might as well just have painted them grey and they start looking like old mashed potatoes...    Even some dabs of dark green wash might do ok as mold and mildew.  And worst case leave them in storage for a couple of years then they should naturally get a bit of a grey wash

-jerepp

LOL  Jerepp,
Thanks for the comments, support and advice. I will certainly keep the 'mold/mildew' idea for a fall back plan later. 
"Attack of the Old Mashed Potato People". Never in a million years would have 'seen' that, I love it! lol  It reminds me of what even the cast of "Lost in Space" (late 60's) TV series considered 'the worst" episode they ever made. "The Great Vegitable Rebellion".  Im not making that up.

As for the Z's, with my frequency of getting to game in this scale, more than likely they (sadly) will be putting in far more shelf than 'shambling' time. Its a cold cruel (10 & 6mm) world out there.
But I enjoy painting and building'm so Im going to keep at it.

Thanks again.

Oh heres a couple of closer, I hope better shots of my 3rd rank. I have since detailed the belts and am working on getting at the flocking.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 5 13 6:23 PM

jack,Second from the left in the brown hat looks to 'human' to me, the rest look great!Now was it a twilight zone or a B & W movie? The aliens arrive "To Serve Humans". Turns out it was all about 'their' cookbook!Jim

-jim_goss

<ahem>:

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

May 6 13 2:50 AM

jack,

Please stay with both the comments above. All three of you are far better painters than I ever dreamed of being.

I have never gotten the 'hang' of washing, but I see how fantastic the results can be. 

I think 'the hat & beard' on the figure mentioned look 'fresh'?  Like the pictures from luoshangzhi shown above- freshly undead and 6 months.... In your close up of the six above, to me, he can be your newest undead creature, and the rest are older undeads. What do you think?

Jim

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#12 [url]

May 6 13 6:19 AM

They look fine to me Jack.  If worried about the one guy with a hat (and I'm not saying you need to worry looks good to me) I would just put him in the middle of the horde so he kind of dissapears in the masses.  Or, you could cut off the head and put some gore on it. 

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#13 [url]

May 6 13 6:59 PM

Thanks guys I DO appreciate the positive comments...

First in the 1st of the 2 pics above, I have to say, the guy in the lt brn tunic, I messed that up. I thought I'd change the look of the usual hat.. oh I changed it alright. (  now it just looks like a cheap helmet. lol
The man in the middle, tan hat, I was looking at him and it came to me, he looks like hes just 'walking' along.  PERHAPs.. I should have (or still)  should reposition his arms 'straight out'.. in that classic Frankenstein pose. And... maybe a touch more of wash to 'dusty up' the hat a bit.

Loushangzhi,..
I have to 'disagree' with the label, I think "I-gor" was more Frequently Dead than freshly dead. LOL
Thanks for the great memory.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#15 [url]

May 8 13 10:42 PM

Potter,
Thank you for the kind words..  and Im glad to say, I have just "Finished" the first regiment (flocking - sealing) "Wee doggy". lol

Heres a couple of unit pics.. the first what ya might see on 'lookout' in the tree.
The second, well what you would see after you fell out of the tree, right in front of them. )

I found 'doing' them by rank, 5 each in this case, I didnt get that "Im never gonna get this done." feeling. So I will post pics of the individual ranks, just as I have in earlier posts, in the next day or so.
I hope you enjoy.. Its not "Picaso".. but Im enjoying myself!  And Thanks To ALL for your words of encouragment AND sound positive advice. 

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

May 9 13 4:05 AM

Hey Jack,

They look good! I think you were successful with the skin, so write that recipe down!
I also like that they are diverse enough that each one looks interesting while keeping that cohesive look of a unit. Good job!

Btw, what did you use for the bases?

If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#17 [url]

May 9 13 3:00 PM

Hey Jack,  They look good! I think you were successful with the skin, so write that recipe down!
I also like that they are diverse enough that each one looks interesting while keeping that cohesive look of a unit. Good job!  Btw, what did you use for the bases? -weigs

Weigs,  thanks for the comments. I hope this helps.

Skin tones
I use equal parts of "Americana Buttermilk" and "Reaper Master series Stone Grey"
Then I use a 1 to 10  stone grey / water mix as a wash on the flesh and a 'very' light wash over the clothing to give it a 'dusty' look. I.e., I brush it over the cloths and will actually wipe most right back off, again its just to 'dull' and age the cloths.

The Bases
These are 3mm bases (my est.), they were given to me so Im not certain. I did and will continue to paint ALL of my dark age bases, 'some' shade of a dark brown before beginning. Its my plan to outline ALL of my D. A. Zombie bases with "Americana Milk Chocolate", to give them that "uniformed" / cohesive unit look.

Flocking
I used my 3 lb. bag of sand "Sable" (considering what I paid it, from the craft store, I practically 'stole it'. LOL)
First I used thinned 'whilte / PVA / elmers glue" to cover the base. Then dipped the model into a bowl of the sand. Gently tap the base to free the loose sand and again gently press what remains down into the wet glue. I let it dry at least 8 hrs (usually 24) then do a 2nd coat of thinned glue and sand. While it was still wet, I just dropped a 'pinch' of fine grass here and there on each of the model bases and gently press it into the glue.

Sealing
IMO You 'must' wait 24 hrs to let the glue be completely dry  Before sealing. I sprayed each with 2 coats of "clear flat/dull coat" (a couple of hrs to dry between) as a sealer to hold the grass and protect the models themselves.

Ok sorry if I gave "waayyy too much info" here lol  But I blame everyone here that gave me Great and Supportive adivce over the years LOL.
Seriously, following their exampes, so now, 'maybe' some bit of info I put here, will help someone out there just starting out.

Best of luck Weigs with your own projects and I do hope some of this does help.

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#18 [url]

May 9 13 4:24 PM

@Jack-The bases look great mate, not too fussy to detract or distract from the figs, but enough to look natural.

You can never give too much info when explaining techniques (or ideas to be pinched!)

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

May 10 13 3:04 AM

jack,

Thank you for the pics and info. Great job!!!

Looks like you had a lot of fun with these figures.

Jim

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help