Remove this ad

bryon31

superstar

#21 [url]

May 10 13 5:57 AM

Really like these jack

by far my favorite rank.  I reall like the 2nd from the left and 1st on on the right the most.  They just look ready to pounce and eat some brainsssssssssss

question is,  are dark age brains as filling as modern ones?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#24 [url]

May 10 13 12:08 PM

LOL...  I don't care who you are thats funny right there... Nice job jerepp

-bryon31

We might be showing our age though by 'getting it'

Though it looks like I might of miss remembered and thus by inference Bud must be a Miller 

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#26 [url]

May 16 13 5:41 AM

Marcus I agree with you and for that matter the mantic ghoul arms/legs/torsos plus some WF zombie arms and heads would exponentially increase the options. This very idea has long been on the backburner for me and seeing what Jack has done with his Dark Age dead (undead) I'm inspired to move the project up a few notches in my queue of projects to be done. I just have my Greeks, Orcs, Goblins, Skeletons, and Persians to get done first. So I might have some zombies of my own by mid to late 2015....

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

May 16 13 1:59 PM

Thanks, Jack!

Never too much info haha!!

If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#29 [url]

May 16 13 7:14 PM

This very idea has long been on the backburner for me and   .. I'm inspired to move the project up a few notches in my queue of projects to be done. I just have my Greeks, Orcs, Goblins, Skeletons, and Persians to get done first. So I might have some zombies of my own by mid to late 2015....-bryon31

Bryon31
Thank you for the compliments.
I have to say, I have no real idea why I even had the idea to do a 'Dark Age' undead army, but it was an idea I just couldnt get out of my head. THEN.. when a 'load' of WF  D. A. miniatures litterally were just handed over to me, I saw it as a 'sign' that I just had to follow it up.

I have 'ping-ponged' back and forth working on these and my (fav) Zulu's, just to keep from burning out due to working on 'the same old thng' for too long.
Now as for that 2015 DEADline (pun intended)... with my luck, my grand kids will be playing w/ my undead army by the time I get them (and the Zulus) done.

Oh Great, now I have to find a girl friend, get married...   etc. My "To Do" list just got longer. Uggh.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

macasm

superstar

#30 [url]

May 19 13 8:08 AM

I looked at these and, while I appreciate the effort and excellent painting I just shrugged and moved along. . .to the point where I am reading of Lugh, Dagda, Angus, Nuada, and. . . the Formor.
If ever there was a Zombie/Horde/Walking Dead/plain ugly army that can fight, it is the Formor.
Interesting, to say the very least. So much so I might have to make a SAGA unit of Zombie...er Formor!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#31 [url]

May 19 13 9:21 AM

If ever there was a Zombie/Horde/Walking Dead/plain ugly army that can fight, it is the Formor.
Interesting, to say the very least. So much so I might have to make a SAGA unit of Zombie...er Formor!

-macasm

Thats the great thing about using the Dark Age, my 'humans' can always do double duty in a SAGA game once I get a few more done.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#32 [url]

May 27 13 10:50 PM

jack,
Now was it a twilight zone or a B & W movie? The aliens arrive "To Serve Humans". Turns out it was all about 'their' cookbook! Jim

-jim_goss

I can NOT believe I didnt reply to this.. oh wait, I was and that was the night Lefora Loony started playing "hacky sack" with my post and I lost my focus.
Jim
This IS IMO one of 'the' best episodes of The Twilight Zone series (unless Im mistaken). The title was "To Serve Man". Your right its only after they break the code of the alien language that they realize, their book isnt a guide to intergalactic peace.. but food preperation.

And dont worry..  still working on the D. A. Undead. Having a bit of family health issue going on thats distracting my work and concentration.

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#34 [url]

May 28 13 5:51 AM

LOL...  my 14 year old son was telling me about his favorite Twilight Zone episode this weekend which happens to be the episode "To Serve Man."   I myself had never even heard of it.  He was telling me all about it.  He tells me that the old Twilight Zone TV show is on Amazon Prime streaming and that he's been watching it.  Go figure.  I've never really watched the show at 34 I was too young to see it and never really saw any re-runs.  Now my kid is totally enthralled with it.  I think I'll check it out

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#35 [url]

May 29 13 9:16 PM

First off..
Thanks Jim, the phone call from the Radiologist, wasnt exactly the "everythings fine" call my mother had hoped, so .. more test.
Thank you again for the kind words.

Bryon31
By all means.. "DO" check it out. With luck not only will you enjoy it, but you will have something to share with your son. 

Now here are a few WIP pics. When I took these, I realized I should have called this thread the "Dark Age Fantasy Project".
First off, I did NOT build these, that credit goes to "Brent" a friend who handed them over to me. My first inclination was to 'turn them' into Undead, but the archers were so well done, the more I looked at them.. the more I liked them "As Is".
So I decided to take the unarmored Human archers, keep and paint them that way. As you can see, the painting is 'nearing' completion, a way to go yet.

Click here to view the attachment
Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

May 30 13 4:42 AM

jack,

How about the bowmen have their worst nightmare confirmed. Your humans above must now face hordes of your undead troops!

Very nice work by your friend. 

Jim

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#37 [url]

May 30 13 7:09 PM

jack,
How about the bowmen have their worst nightmare confirmed. Your humans above must now face hordes of your undead troops!
Very nice work by your friend. 
Jim

-jim_goss

Jim, that is "very much' a WIP lol.

As for 'Brents' work.. Yes he did. He really is great at making that 'arm/shoulder' point connection that I have so much trouble with. Thats why I just couldnt 'dismantle' them.. 

IM also bouncing some game rules in my head. Having the old 'game play" vs "reality" clash. Im thinking Z's are going to have to take 'multiple' hits to be 'killed'. After all there already "dead", so you have to 'hack them apart to kill them.

Of course, rolling a "Natural 6" would be that 'Perfect" hit with a hand weapon decapitating or shot with an arrow thru the head killing the Zed with one hit.
Then theres the idea, 'should an axe do more damage" than a sword.. like 2 pts per hit to the Z unit as opposed to 1 pt per hit w a sword.
Just some thoughts Im working on as I work on the miniatures.  Thoughts I guys?

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#38 [url]

May 31 13 8:09 AM

I must warn you I'm heavily influenced by D&D and so much of my post is rehash of D&D rules. For instance you could assign damage types to the different weapons.

Slashing Weapons - Swords, Axes
Bludgeoning Weapons - Clubs, Maces
Piercing Weapons - Arrows, spears

Zombies or undead in general can be more vulnerable to different damage types. For example Skeletons are resistant to piercing weapons because they have no vulnerable fleshy parts to pierce, however, their lack of flesh also makes them more vulnerable to bludgeoning weapons because the soft fleshy stuff is gone to lessen the impact of the blow.

Zombies in D&D are more susceptible to slashing damage. Personally I think Zombies are the ultimate undead in that they are more or less equally resistant to every damage type. That being said, Slashing weapons are the best bet for cleaving limbs and spilling guts (albeit rotting bloated guts). Piercing weapons would be equally ineffective against zombies because although they have flesh to pierce it is invulnerable to damage. Arrows and spears sticking out of a zombie make it far more decorative to look at so there is some aesthetic value to piercing weapons. I suppose a long spear/pike could be used to pin a zombie to the ground, at least temporarily so there is that which can be nice tactically. A pinned zombie makes for an easy target for truck tires, or chariot/wagon wheels of just a good old fashioned monkey stomping. Bludgeoning weapons would be more effective than piercing weapons against zombies, however, the zombies high pain tolerance is less affected by broken bones. 

I’ve never been a huge fan of this one dimensional approach to weapon damage types. Some weapons such as the mace and club are certainly one trick ponies, however, not all weapons are.  For instance the long sword is primarily a hack and slash weapon but it is versatile it can be a very effective piercing weapon and who can deny the bludgeoning ability of a good pommel smash to the skull. I realize now that I’m getting off track.

As for an axe doing more damage than a sword well I think it depends on the type of axe.  I would argue that an axe may inflict more damage per blow I think it would land fewer blows.  On average I would say the sword and axe are more or less even.  After all an axe is really a once trick pony.  And as mentioned above the sword is far more versatile. So giving swords an inherent weakness when compared to axes is wrong.  However, it could be fixed in that say a 4+ is a hit with all weapons a sword my actually hit on 3’s instead.  While the axe give 2pts of damage each hit.  So swords would deliver 1pt hits more consistently than axe’s would 2pt hits.  I think that would be a decent way to balance the two out.  Then two handed versions of the weapons would in turn do 1 extra point of damage so a two handed axe would hit on 4+ doing 3pts of damage where a great sword would hit on 3+ delivering 2pts of damage.  

If you’re opposed to giving swords an advantage to “to hit” numbers then you could make swordsmen have a higher defense value.  Being lighter and more nimble you could argue that swordsmen are better at defending themselves.  So maybe swordsmen take hits on 5+ instead of 4+.

I don’t have any problem with axes doing more damage than swords I have a problem making axes the more attractive option when swords seem to be the weapon of choice for most pre-black powder military men. There must be a reason to have swords; after all they are less practical than axes which can be used for other purposes than war.  Swords by definition are weapons and always weapons. 

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#39 [url]

May 31 13 2:28 PM

Bryon31,
Thank you.. definetly 'food for thought'. You both help and cause me more to consider. LOL But it is appreciated. Your point on swords being 'the weapon of choice' for pre gunpowder era is very valid. For example in fantasy, the dwarves very often used duel purpose items. The Picaxe, Mallet/Hammer, Axe.. all of these, like the Bow.. could be used in either mining, building or hunting during peace time and when needs call for it, each could also be used as 'weapons of war'.

IMO I think the sword may have been the main choice for two reasons, it was often a more 'balanced', there by controlable weapon compared to the axe, and the sword could be used as both a "slashing" OR "stabbing" weapon.

In mentioning the Skeletons, that brings up another idea rolling around n muh noggin' ...lol  Just a thought here, but since they are basically 'hollow', any archers will suffer an additional To Hit penalty. After all, the arrow 'could' very well pass right thru their chest and hit nothing..  as theres nothing (as you put it, fleshy) there to hit.
Hammers / Axes will or would cause 2 or even 3 pts of damage to the fragile bones due to their heavier weight.

The debat.. wondering contiues.
Thanks again for your in put.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Jun 1 13 4:39 AM

bryon31,

On the question of pierce type weapons I think the arrow is a far superior weapon to any firearm that is NOT silenced for zombie warfare, or hand held weapon 

Also arrows are often recoverable vs.rarely with a firearm is a big plus. In addition, who wants to be up close and personal with an undead Zombie as all the other weapons are hand to hand.

I am in total agreement with you on your other choices.

Jim

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help