Remove this ad

#241 [url]

Oct 4 09 7:38 PM

To be perfectly honest - I love it as a joke title - but when reading through the vast array of submissions on the LaUL I fear it may go unnoticed or unrecognised by potential punters.  'Were-Wolves!' catches the attention, imagination and buying power in the same way as 'Zombies!'

-lachlan

In total agreement here.  Were-Wolves!, or simply Lycanthropes! is more eye-catching and elicits a more aggressive reaction, feral (excuse the pun) response that says "Hey!  You NEED to buy me, NOW!"

John

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#242 [url]

Oct 5 09 6:07 PM

If I saw the title Lycanthropes! I would not click. Because I'm use to "were-[fill in the blank]".

The only reason I clicked this thread because I saw the title and clicked it out of the sheer "WTF?" factor.

Were-Wolfs! would be more eye catching.

But then fellow up with a tagline. IE:

"And other Anthromophic Creatures" or "And other Lycanthrope creatures."

Either or.

Quote    Reply   

#243 [url]

Oct 6 09 8:31 PM

But Lycanthropy is so well known as a term, especially as a lot of the gamers who would want Werewolves for their games would know the Underworld films. And in the Underworld films they're known as Lycanthropes. Besides, the idea is for the kit to be able to make more than just Werewolves. So we couldn't plaster the title 'Werewolf' accross the front of the kit. Lycanthropes works well.

On to the kit so far... I'm pretty happy with what has come from the discussion so far. The versatility of the kit for various Were-creatures is pretty impressive. Werewolf and werelions will keep me happy for my roleplay and other miniature games... A yetti would be kinda cool too although the Demon/Vampire idea will be more popular with the Roleplayers.

As to the question of weapons... I vote no. While I play Confrontation, which has armed wolves, I think this kit would be weakened by their inclusion. Including weapons will reduce the versatility of the base kit. People who do want armed wolves, remember this is a plastic kit. One of the biggest advantages of plastic kits is just that. The ease of conversion. Anyone who plays fantasy combat games will have more than enough weapons close at hand.
The same goes for firearms... Including them on the kit will be a waste for most gamers with only a small number using them. If you really want firearms on your Were-kind? Grab the putty and those bolters left over from that last bunch of marines and you're good to go.

I'd like to see three wolves on a sprue but if that just isn't realistic enough I could live with two. As to the size of the wolves... 40mm would be nice but that is quite large compared to other wolf models. I can't imagine fitting more than two on a sprue at that size though. So then 35mm would work too I guess.

"A learning experience is one of those things that says; 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.'" - Douglas Adams

Quote    Reply   

#244 [url]

Oct 6 09 8:41 PM

But Lycanthropy is so well known as a term,

-splod89

Yes so is Adeptus Astartes but I dont go to a games workshop to buy a product titled "Adeptus Astartes Tactical Squad". I buy a Space Marine Tactical Squad. Ok bad example but thats like calling vampires "Those who have Porphyria" or something. Sometimes in order to get customers less is more and simplicity is the key

Where is his will needed?

Quote    Reply   

#245 [url]

Oct 6 09 10:25 PM

Except this will be a combined kit... You can't put 'Werewolves' on the front of a box that contains more than just werewolves. You'd have to put 'Werewolves, Weretigers and Demons!' I just can't see that working.

"A learning experience is one of those things that says; 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.'" - Douglas Adams

Quote    Reply   

#246 [url]

Oct 6 09 10:47 PM

I guess it is just me, but I still can't see a werewolf body doubling for a weretiger.  The fur is differnt, the tails are very different, and the body shape is different.  I could see werewolf bodies doubling as demonic wolf-demons, but were-canines and were-cats are just too different in all the ways I mentioned above.  Cats have long, lean bodies, where canines, especially wolves, are more compact, and generally hairier.

Oh well, to each their own I guess. grin

John

Quote    Reply   

#247 [url]

Oct 7 09 2:48 AM

As for the name - it's the same principle as the numidianss (as howard pointed out to me) = they are called Numidians though they can also serve as many oither options, 'generic ancient infantry' would be more accurate but wouldn't be a good name for the box.

A pussy cat is lean - a tiger/lion is MUCH chunkier than a wolf...  but in were-form we discussed the body shape, fur etc on earlier pages and its really only the heads and tails that are different - so simple! 

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#248 [url]

Oct 7 09 3:54 AM

Except this will be a combined kit... You can't put 'Werewolves' on the front of a box that contains more than just werewolves. You'd have to put 'Werewolves, Weretigers and Demons!' I just can't see that working.

-splod89

Well we could put what someone else already suggested. "Werewolves and other And other Lycanthrope creatures" sounds like a winner. It opens the possibility for others but mian focus is were wolves

Where is his will needed?

Quote    Reply   

#250 [url]

Oct 7 09 11:42 AM

As for the name - it's the same principle as the numidianss (as howard pointed out to me) = they are called Numidians though they can also serve as many oither options, 'generic ancient infantry' would be more accurate but wouldn't be a good name for the box. A pussy cat is lean - a tiger/lion is MUCH chunkier than a wolf...  but in were-form we discussed the body shape, fur etc on earlier pages and its really only the heads and tails that are different - so simple! 

-lachlan

Ok, perhaps I was thinking of Werepanthers and the like.  Dang my Anita Blake reading habits!

John

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

superstar

#251 [url]

Oct 7 09 5:51 PM

I admit that the idea takes some getting used to (I'll also admit that I'd prefer we focused on werewolves), but the differences aren't that great between the hybrid forms (at least as established by WW) of the creatures we're talking about.  The whole human-hybrid bit seems to even things out and if it will help the sales--I guess I gotta go with the proverbial flow.

So long as I get my werewolves (eventually), I'm (will be) a happy guy.  At least for a few minutes.

That's like hypnotizing chickens...

Quote    Reply   

#252 [url]

Oct 7 09 6:11 PM

The original L&UL entry called for multiple breeds of Lycanthrope. I can only imagine it would serve to increase the potential pool of customers if they could also use it as werefeline and yeti/demon as well..

Although at this point it might be usefull push it as a Werewolf sprue with other conversion possibilites, including weretiger and yeti/demon.

Quote    Reply   

#253 [url]

Oct 10 09 4:32 PM

Although at this point it might be usefull push it as a Werewolf sprue with other conversion possibilites, including weretiger and yeti/demon.

I agree wholeheartedly.  Mind you at only 18% pre-ordered this one needs a shot in the arm!
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/BookingRetrieve.aspx?ID=44051

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#254 [url]

Oct 13 09 6:57 PM

I guess it is just me, but I still can't see a werewolf body doubling for a weretiger.  The fur is differnt, the tails are very different, and the body shape is different.  I could see werewolf bodies doubling as demonic wolf-demons, but were-canines and were-cats are just too different in all the ways I mentioned above.  Cats have long, lean bodies, where canines, especially wolves, are more compact, and generally hairier.
Oh well, to each their own I guess. [image]
John

-jjdiffley

I just want to point out. This was a concern I pointed out the begining. Witch I still have. Cat paws, vs Dog paws is something that still drives me crazy. and the only reason I don't mention it anymore is because there going to be more dog like paws anyway. There for I don't have anything to really complain about.

As long as I can make good looking werewolfs I don't care what the were-tigers look like in all honesty. This is a bias I know I have, witch I have to admit.

This is why I kind of feel it might be "more fair" to thows wanting were-cats if this submistion of splite into two sprues. One doing all the canines, and one doing the Felinies.

That way there is no confict of interest.

But that call should be left to thows who want the cats. And if they think one sprue could do both, Or if we're asking to much of Wargames Factory. And that the cats will not be able to be done justice.

Quote    Reply   

#255 [url]

Oct 13 09 7:22 PM

The thing is - in were-form both the feline and canine forms are distorted and warped...  They both end us looking like quasi-generic canine hand/claws... 

What I guess I'm saying is - "quasi-generic canine hand/claws" would work for were-tigers in my books!

I don't think this one should be expanded to two sprues.

Quote    Reply   

#256 [url]

Oct 13 09 7:34 PM

The thing is - in were-form both the feline and canine forms are distorted and warped...  They both end us looking like quasi-generic canine hand/claws... 
What I guess I'm saying is - "quasi-generic canine hand/claws" would work for were-tigers in my books!
I don't think this one should be expanded to two sprues.

-lachlan

I'm still not convinced. Even warped to have obosable thumbs, there are over pervailing theams and details that seperate a Feline and Canine Paw.But the bassic paw look is for more Canine like Claws from the pichers people post the most. So I'm cool with that as I'm not loseing out on anything.

Only thow that are interest in Felines are loseing out.

Even the porportions of the hind quoters are quite diffrent. But agien more Canine like then Feline. So what do I have to complain about?

It just seems like Felines could be done lot more justice then what's being sujested on this sprue.

O.o

Quote    Reply   

#257 [url]

Oct 13 09 7:38 PM

Fair enough.  As they are primarily Were-wolves I say go the more-popular lycan/canine path - but give feline fanciers a head and tail option.  wink

Quote    Reply   

#259 [url]

Oct 14 09 12:39 PM

Fair enough.  As they are primarily Were-wolves I say go the more-popular lycan/canine path - but give feline fanciers a head and tail option.  [image]

-lachlan

It's hard to explain what I'm trying to say. But I'm not argueing that the Werecats should be 100% dropped. And I'm fine with them being there as long as I get my wolfs.

grin

But when I say that I can't help but admit I'm being bias. And that's why I asked if the Were-tiger guys were getting short changed in this deal?

Quote    Reply   

#260 [url]

Oct 14 09 12:44 PM

Fair enough.  As they are primarily Were-wolves I say go the more-popular lycan/canine path - but give feline fanciers a head and tail option.  [image]
-lachlan

It's hard to explain what I'm trying to say. But I'm not argueing that the Werecats should be 100% dropped. And I'm fine with them being there as long as I get my wolfs, and they don't end up looking like "pussy cats".grinBut when I say that I can't help but admit I'm being bias. And that's why I asked if the Were-tiger guys were getting short changed in this deal?

A weretiger with more human looking hands is better than no weretiger at all. [image]

-adamsouza

All the examples I see posted make me think wolf. The only cat examples that are posted are the ones of accual werecats. Same with the feet.I'm picky when it comes to my anthros and will notice the fact the cat's have dog claws, feat, ect. But agien no skin off my nose because I have no interest in them.
O.o

Then agien I have to admit. There are no weretigers out there in minature form. So getting these guys one there, let alone in plastic would be a acomplishment.

So the need to piggy back them is probly a nesisity. But all the same I think the fact there a major diffrences between the two should be pointed out.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help