Remove this ad

mrinku

superstar

Lead

May 12 13 1:22 AM

Tags : :

Starting to put together my pre-apocolypse guys (intended for superhero and other normal modern day RPGs). I've done more than shown here, but those are all stock pose assemblies. These are the conversions and reposes.

This is an agent type with one arm shifted up to the "listening to the earpiece" pose. First one shows the raw glueing with the chunks of sprue used to secure the gaps and act as filler; second one is with this dremelled and filed down and third is with putty. Still a little rough - some filing left to do:

Next is a kid, armed only with his baseball bat:

My news anchor - microphone courtesy of a Zulu knobkerrie :)

And Harvey the Cameraman. Another Zulu bit (the decoration from the top of a shield) makes his mike; most of the rest of the camera is 40K bits and bobs:

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 12 13 5:31 AM

Those guys look really good, you put a lot more work into some of them than I generally do... I am more at the news anchor/kid with bat level.  Great job with the camera and the agents arm.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 12 13 5:51 AM

mrinku,

Wow, you have some great conversion ides above!

Great job, and thank you for showing some of them as a wip. It is much easier to see 'how' you were able to make the changes.

Jim

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#3 [url]

May 12 13 2:49 PM

Those are just great..  I would never have thought of doing a "TV film crew".

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#5 [url]

May 12 13 3:57 PM

Thanks guys. I still wasn't totally happy with the angle of the agent's arm, so I've trimmed it back and will be re-puttying it. If you look closely at the first two pictures, you can see that I had to replace the original hand I used - it flew off the balcony while I was doing the Dremel grinding - should have anchored it with a bit of sprue... The new one has a slightly longer forearm that's a bit awkward looking.

I'll put some more shots up once I've done my next round of putty.

Learning to angle arms into desired poses is my number one tip for moving from just assembling figures as designed. Just needs a good knife, sometimes some sprue and putty for filler.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#6 [url]

May 13 13 5:06 PM

Going to make up some of my boys to be bank robbers and muggers. Should be a good way to use up the hoodie torsos :)

Not much conversion needed there, but I'll be making some ski masks and working on a way to do nylon stocking masks. Initial thought is to file about 60% of the detail off the head and to use various brown coats and washes.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#7 [url]

May 25 13 4:47 PM

Okay - big update this week, somewhat better pictures as I've taken more care with angle and backgrounds.

Here are my Cops:

Shotgun guy is stock. The one with the flashlight is the "Sean of the Dead" torso with a Ancient German Cavalry arm and a flashlight made from a Zulu knobkerrie and sprue. He's really intended as a nigh watchman. The other two are normal with re-posed arms. Cops or security guards.

These guys are the Robbers, specifically for a bank heist situation:

Not finished yet - still working on making the ski masks look right. Might use different heads.

Here are my agents:

Finally happy with the earpiece pose after shaving it back a bit and re-puttying it. Second agent is stock.

Muggers:

Pistol dude is ready to go and was pit together from stock parts. Knife guy needs some touch up putty work.

Newsteam:

Ready to go. I want to add a female reporter and maybe a sound guy.

A bunch of miscellaneous guys:

We have - slightly reposed trenchcoat guy. Probably a vigilante of some sort, or a henchman. Crazed bloke with bible and pistol. Angry mechanic with crowbar. Maybe he didn't get paid or something? And that damn kid with the bat. Could be the ward of a billionaire or a juvenile gang member.

And finally a work in progress - Wino Man:

Sign will almost certainly read "Repent - The End is Nigh!". I realised the default Molotov arm wasn't going to fit well, so I cut the upper arm off it, posed it on the mouth and cut a bit of sprue to fit. Quite happy with how that worked. Right arm is another German Cavalry arm, and the head is also from that set.

You may also notice that I've rebased them, using a length of narrow sprue between the feet and the washers. Did this because I realised that I had left no room for the basing scheme (which will be concrete flagstones). This also makes it much easier to glue them to the washers and gives a stronger bond, so win-win-win. 

Phew!

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#8 [url]

May 25 13 5:16 PM

Just ACE!!! Shows the flexibility of this set AND your workmanship, not to mention imagination!

Can't wait to get my hands on some-Even more after seeing these!

LOVE Wino guy and the cops in particular-Just the sort of thing I have planned, except I'd not thought of a homeless man....I have now!

It's weird though, when I saw him with the placard I immediately thought of 'The monster shouter' character from Stephen Kings 'The Stand' (even if the character is black and I think in the TV version was played by a certain Kareem Abdul Jabbar iirrc).

More please!

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#9 [url]

May 25 13 5:26 PM

Just ACE!!! Shows the flexibility of this set AND your workmanship, not to mention imagination!    More please!

-potter

I Second that motion!
They look great and I'd love to see more Mrinku.  

This gives me a great 'visual' on something I was wondering. When using the shotgun for law enforcement, IMO it looks a bit longer than you normally see used in the field. The one in the kit looks more "commercial' for the general public (sport / hunting) use. Which I think is "the" way to go, after all, you can cut the size down, but you could not make the gun longer for a citizen Apoc survivor.
That being said.. Mrinku, have you considered (guessta-mating here) cutting about 'half' of the barrel off to see if it would make it look more accurate for a police variation?

I can hardly wait to see these painted up.  Best of Luck!

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#10 [url]

May 26 13 12:52 AM

Nah. I'm happy with that look. He's meant to be the rural cop anyway, so chances are his shottie is a stock hunting one anyway. Less door-busting and corridoor fighting and more open road pursuit and small game hunting on his coffee break...

Thanks for the kind words :)

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

May 26 13 8:23 AM

The one in the kit looks more "commercial' for the general public (sport / hunting) use. Which I think is "the" way to go, after all, you can cut the size down, but you could not make the gun longer for a citizen Apoc survivor.
That being said.. Mrinku, have you considered (guessta-mating here) cutting about 'half' of the barrel off to see if it would make it look more accurate for a police variation?

-jack

Couldn't make the gun longer? I've lengthen barrels for miniatures before. All you need is the right sized plastic and you can do almost anything with a miniature. I've even carved weapons from pieces of sprue before... of course, THAT is a REAL pain in the tuckus.

Whatever you can do with finesse I can do more thoroughly with volume.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

May 26 13 12:23 PM

mrinku,

I totally agree. fantastic imagination and presentation. I very much am looking forward to how your 'team' will paint up!

everyone,

Yes on law enforcement having short barrel shotguns. Originally most departments mounted the shotgun in the front seat, and the too long barrel often would not fit. The shotgun is not as common today as it was during my career.

It is far easier to 'shorten' the barrels for game use than extend them. Think our WF extra WW-II sniper rifles. the 'scope' can be easily removed if a large sniper 'team' is not wanted or desired vs. making your own extra scopes.

Jim

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#13 [url]

May 26 13 4:22 PM

Couldn't make the gun longer? I've lengthen barrels for miniatures before. All you need is the right sized plastic and you can do almost anything with a miniature. I've even carved weapons from pieces of sprue before... of course, THAT is a REAL pain in the tuckus.

-theinsane

Yeah. You really just need the right gauge plastic rod. Ditto for converting it (or a rifle) into a double barrel version. The pump slide can be made to look like a normal forward stock with a little easy filing. Which does not excuse the lack of a double barrel shotgun - full barrel length, naturally - or revolvers in the set :)

Having said that... as Jim says, the sensible design choice was to make the piece full barrel length in the first place, as they did.

My next order is likely to be Zombie Vixens, Amazons and some of the cheap Persians for AK-47 guerilla/jihadist duty. I'm thinking that the unfortunate lack of open hand right hands might be able to be addressed from the Vixen set. I figure that the amount of conversion I'll need to make any female figure into a superheroine is in excess of the amount of work to de-zombify a Vixen anyhow, and I can use the more intact ones as female bystanders. Even the crawler torsos will be useful. Amazons are mainly intended for Steampunk/Pulp lost world tribals, but look to be useful for parts in general.

edit: Looking at the shotgun... I reckon there's enough barrel there to make a *sawn-off* double barrel. Carefully cut the entire barrel off the stock, cut it in half and put them back side-by side. And I think I do need a robber with a sawn-off shottie, really. Of course I have an awful lot of Zulu and German spears that are probably the right size, which might be an easier task.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#14 [url]

May 26 13 6:53 PM

Nah. I'm happy with that look. He's meant to be the rural cop anyway, so chances are his shottie is a stock hunting one anyway. ... 

-mrinku

Ok, see now that works for me. I didnt think of that.
Ironically it was the hat that got me to ask the question. I think its pretty safe to say that, the 'D.I.' hat is more or less the typical State Police issue in the U.S. now, so thats what I was thinking.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#15 [url]

May 26 13 7:01 PM

-theinsane

No.. all you need are the hands of a Brain surgeon, and Nitro handler combinedgrin

In the past I usually ended up with 'something' super glued to a finger, but that was ok, the glue helped to stop the bleeding from the X-acto knife. LOL

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#16 [url]

May 26 13 7:51 PM

Switch to solvent glue for polysterene, Jack :)

Save you a world of sticky and bonds better.

I usually use a good sized Stanley knife for most work (including everything I've posted), since the heft and weight seems to give me more control and cutting power, especially if you're cutting harder materials. Single edged razor blades are good for delicate work. I've got a craft knife with scalpel blades around here somewhere, but haven't used it for ages.

Little trick to help with delicate work - get some cheap +3.0 reading glasses. They magnify really well. I can't wear contacts anymore, so I've stopped using them myself, but it's worth trying.

(Health warning - DON'T wear them for too long at a time. Take breaks, drink water. Headache means stop!)

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

May 26 13 8:33 PM

No.. all you need are the hands of a Brain surgeon, and Nitro handler combined.  [image]
In the past I usually ended up with 'something' super glued to a finger, but that was ok, the glue helped to stop the bleeding from the X-acto knife. LOL

-jack

Like Mrinku says, polystyrene solvent cement works to stop bleeding, also... wait a minute... you weren't talking about stopping bleeding? Oh, well, it DOES work for that, too. I know, I have experience.

My problem with painting/modding, anymore, is focus. I can see what I want to work on just fine, until I try to work on it... then I go all cross-eyed, or something. I still love trying to see what I can do with miniatures, though. And with all the bits and options you get with WGF minis, I really haven't had to do a lot more than some minor modding and parts swapping to get results I like... I'm still having a bit of a pain trying to cobble together a chassis for the Infantry Artillery Howitzers I'm trying to make for my WSS Imagi-Nation.

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#18 [url]

May 26 13 9:03 PM

The difference is, superglue was *invented* as a surgical adhesive :)

I heartily concur with theinsane on the mods and parts benefits of WGF. I'm pretty sure some of those Zulu bits are going to last me decades ;) 

Of course, I'm still occasionally using a part from my original Mordheim accessory sprue c. 1999 - most recently used a rope coil on a cowboy converted from a Perry ACW cavalryman. All respect to WGF, but that still rates as the single best sprue for conversion I've ever used.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#19 [url]

Jun 7 13 10:26 PM

Little update:

Fat tourist with soda and iPhone, filming the scene; Homeless Guy; Unarmed Civilian (male) running in terror.

Robbers now have their ski-masks.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jun 8 13 5:21 AM

You do absolutely AWESOME work, Mrinku. I'm looking forward to see how they look after you paint them up.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help