Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#21 [url]

Jun 8 13 1:37 PM

Little update:
Fat tourist with soda and iPhone, filming the scene; Homeless Guy; Unarmed Civilian (male) running in terror.
Robbers now have their ski-masks. -mrinku

Of the first 3, Im voting that the "Civilian running in terror".. is the only one that really understands the urgency of the situation. LOL 
Just guessing here, but if your standing around with your 'fancy phone camera" during a zombie uprising taking pictures, thats not 'soda pop' your drinking. grin

Great work on the ski masks.. really great. Now Paint something!  P L E E A A A S E!!!

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

mrinku

superstar

#22 [url]

Jun 8 13 1:51 PM

Thanks guys. Painting is proceeding today - I undercoated a batch yesterday, but figured the "work in progress" stage of "I painted them all black" wasn't really required...

Jack, don't forget these are *pre* apocalype. The tourist may not be doing the smartest thing, but it could just be a mere armed robbery or superhero brawl he's filming ;)

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#23 [url]

Jun 9 13 2:19 PM

Thanks guys.  Jack, don't forget these are *pre* apocalype. The tourist.. could just be a mere armed robbery or superhero brawl he's filming -mrinku

More likely...
I can just hear him now when the "Mrs" goes thru their vacation pictures "they" took.

"Marge as God is my witness. I have NO idea how a picture of two women mud wrestling in a night club got on my, our.. OUR camera phone. Uh.. or uh, the other 9 pictures for that matter.. dearest."  grin

Seriously Mrinku, best of luck. Im really dying to see how these paint up, especially your "cops". I think the feds / body guards are going to be pretty simple decision.. 'pick out a nice grey / navy blue suit", and you have the uniform.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Jun 19 13 4:27 AM

mrinku,very interesting ideas on the standard like the bases as well they alone can cost quite abit  through a shop
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its a bug planet its an ugly planet 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#26 [url]

Jun 19 13 3:47 PM

very interesting ideas on the standard like the bases as well they alone can cost quite abit  through a shop-moneybox

I did the same for all of my Zulu's thus far.. and Im very happy with the finished look.
In the 'rare' case when the plastic base did not cover the entire center of the washer, i just crumpled a very small piece of paper into the hole, a drop of glue to keep it in place and to help me press it down more. Viola! Base coat, flock, seal.. done.

MY real problem is that I want to use 25 mm square bases for my Colonial British, WGF 'stops' with 20 mm square. So Im looking at Litko for the 'possible' answer. The other challenge; matching the proper base thickness to equal the over all height of the washer based Zulus.
Right now Im thinking... 0.8mm plywood, and adding the 'flex steel' to the bottom of each. This will both reinforce the thin plywood and work with my 'magnetic sheet' I use in my storage & transport boxes.

But you are so right Moneybox, depending on "who" you  buy from and "what" your looking for and of course how many your going to need, it can become very costly.

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#27 [url]

Jun 19 13 10:09 PM

It may not be obvious, but those bases are just steel washers finished with air-dry modelling clay on top. 4c per washer and the clay works out to $1.00 per 100g. I scribe a couple of grooves in the clay and voila! Concrete pavement slabs.

I'm basically a cheap bastard. :)

I could save myself a heap of work by just using the excellent bases supplied (would not have to use superglue to attach them for a start...) but I've found that washer bases give superior stability, especially for plastic figures.

Jack, I'd avoid plywood - it splinters too easily. Go with MDF, which is dirt cheap and far easier to work. There are also some commercial options if you want precision flat square bases:

http://www.sarissa-precision.co.uk/store/bases/

http://www.renedra.co.uk/webstore.html#Bases

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jun 20 13 5:44 AM

A cheap bastard is not a bad thing, I sometimes see more creative things are scratch built than OTB
Jack, I`ll have check out your pics ... I haven`t been posting for a while

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its a bug planet its an ugly planet

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#29 [url]

Jun 20 13 9:14 PM

Mrinku,
Thanks for those links, I will definetly be checking on those. Im always open to at least consider other options. The fragility of plywood that thin (0.8mm) was a very serious concern. Perhaps in the back of my mind, thats a big reason that after a yr (?) of having my Brits, I have yet to really start on them.
As for the steel washer / bases, I did the very same thing with my WF Zulus. While that 'works' for survivors, zeds and Zulu troops which were not so precise in their formations, I want the more 'rank and file' look for the Brits.

Moneybox,
I have only posted a few pics of my Zulus'. Im afraid those poor fellow were my first "digital photo lab rats". LOL   I really do need to post more. Ironically I have some 40 completed (2 -20 man regts) and yet Ive posted more "dark age undead" pics than the zulus and have completed 'far' fewer.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help