Remove this ad

Lead

May 12 13 11:23 AM

Tags : :

Greetings all,

Having happily won a box of WSS cavalry in the 20k Facebook contest, I figured it was time to post about my imagi-nations project.

The goal is to eventually have a large collection of WSS figures based around my made up Sovereignty of Straus-Golloch. I will also most likely make an opposing force so as to have something for friends to play with if the need arises. However, the basics are thus.

While sailing for new lands as part of a colonization effort a Prussian fleet of two settlement ships and one warship, carrying around 200 colonists and 500 (i.e. a battalion or around there) infantry, as well as 2 small squadrons of cavalry are shrouded in an unnatural fog.

When the fog lifts, the ships are in sight of land, but can see non of the landmarks they have been told to expect. In actuality, the fog was a point in the fabric of reality where 2 dimensions intersected, and the ships have inadvertently found themselves off the coast of a continent in a world mostly similar to ours.

The colonists land on the beach, with a swath of plains spreading out for miles before them. They begin to set up thier colony, the military constructing earthworks that overtime grow into permanent wooden and earth fortifications with guns transferred from the settlement ships.

After two years, with no word from Prussia or Europe in general, and one of the settlement ships lost in an attempt to sail back, the Colonel in charge of the expedition declares himself soverign, and the colony to be his domain. The colonel is named Straus, thus the first half of the name, and Golloch was something he (I) came up with. His Lieutenant of Cavalry (Tamas) becomes a chief enforcer of Straus' will, and begins to scout the countryside.

Thus bringing in the possibility of encountering an enemy nation (to which the same scenario took place)

The main color scheme is Dark Blue and a light, almost beige brown. I have a test model (my only remaining model from the two inf sprues I was graciously gifted by Bill) painted, and will post a picture shortly.

So currently, I have the 12 cavalrymen (en route from WGF) as the beginning of my army. I want to play either maurice of BtLB (beneath the lily Banners) but need help on basing ideas.

Frank Frey (who I found out lives near me) suggested 60x40 (3 men in two ranks) for the infantry and 50x50 (2 cavalry side by side) as base sizes, but I would like to see what others use as well.

thanks,

Max (Marcus)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

potter

superstar

#1 [url]

May 12 13 12:18 PM

Great idea and good story line.

My own imagined nation for Napoleonics (sadly no WSS here yet) are West Indian colonial forces who under the command of an enthusiastic but somewhat inexperienced combined command of a disgraced former Royal Navy Officer, and a 'want to be hero' gentleman Colonel, have raced to assist the crown against Boney having heard propaganda and not waited to listen to fact

Due to poor weather and a run in with a French and Spanish fleet in the Bay of Biscay have sadly landed near the French side of the Pyrenees at the height of hostilities and found themselves behind enemy lines.

They're a motley crew of militia who think they're soldiers, along with experienced veterans who'd been sent to the West Indies as punishment for a near mutiny against an idiot officer and want to show they are professional soldiers through and through not a bunch of mutineers as they have been accused of being. There's also young men trying to make their own mark on the world, Royal Marines who'd been stationed to 'keep an eye on the plantations' but remain loyal to their former Ships Captain. Someones got to look after the young fool....

All this along with the usual hangers on from the local towns who'd mustered to set off on a grand adventure (not to mention trying to bag some loot).

Having 'liberated' some POW's (some were actually willing Austrian, Dutch and British deserters to the French from previous encounters) they now have a 'Black Legion' of ne'er do wells to try and keep in order. All this whilst fighting through Spain trying to reach friendly forces and not upset the locals lest the guerrilla's take displeasure in these unexpected guests.

A real variety of styles of uniform and a loose code of dress prevails, however FoG rule list have been adhered to for smaller scale forces.

This is of course all made up but jolly good fun, and whilst no where near historically accurate, makes for a fun background tale. Just got to get round to painting them...which will be in about 6 months...After my Z's, and Survivors that is!

Now did I ever ask people on here to save me from getting back in to Napoleonics?..oh may be I've not mentioned that yet....

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#2 [url]

May 12 13 8:48 PM

Great 'back story' / back ground guys. I have to say, to me, at times it seems writing a bit of back story is almost as much fun as the game itself.
And a LOT easier on the hand / eye coordination.

Marcus,
Im eager to see one / two of your sample uniforms to say the least. Even though I dont (get to) play WSS, (its all Nap and some ECW here) I think the series is great. 
The "best" are always more than happy to help and give Respectful, Helpful Comments (the word criticism doesnt due them justice).

Basing has always been a big question in my mind as well.  "Whats the best way to do this?" 
For myself, I kind of like the '6 fig per base' look (3 x 2) also. And if you choose to go with "4 bases per battalion", thats only 24 men/ fig each. So two boxes would give you 3 - 24 fig battalions for a Regt of 72 men/ fig's. Although I have seen some that went for "big" units, 6 bases of 6 figs each. One box = One Battalion.

Either way.. best of luck with what you decide.

Potter
As always Im eager to see your work my friend. And like you (and many lol) if I "live" long enough, I might get all 3 boxes of my 'fav WF sets, Zulus, my 90 + Viking / Saxons done.. and lets not forget those 50 Colonial Brits. So my friend I feel your pain. LOL

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 17 13 4:15 PM

Well....I am glad to read about your project. I have 3 boxes of foot and 3 boxes of the cav, I used the floppy hats for the foot and the lobster pot helmets for the cav. By the by....the flagpole/pikes are at present seeing duty with my Pike and Shotte armies (I have two armies).

Please do update your Imagi-nation thread. I like your premise. Updates please.

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#8 [url]

May 17 13 7:48 PM

Well....I am glad to read about your project. I have 3 boxes of foot and 3 boxes of the cav, I used the floppy hats for the foot and the lobster pot helmets for the cav. By the by....the flagpole/pikes are at present seeing duty with my Pike and Shotte armies (I have two armies).
Please do update your Imagi-nation thread. I like your premise. Updates please.-crazyharborc

I "whole-heartedly' agree with Crazyharborc here guys.
I am very glad and might I add, eager to hear (and See) more about both of your projects. So yes "updates" Please!

Crazyharborc,
I love the whole WSS series idea. WF hit the mark with choosing that time period it would seem.
And as for your flagpole/pikes, I'd love to see some pics of those if ya could, and of course your WSS armies.

Ironically, the very image of a block of pikes, is the main reason I even consider ECW. What can I say, something about a 'wall' of sharp pointy things trying to impale a wave of charging infantry, just brings a smile to this tired old face...
Hmm, Maybe my Dr's nurse was right when she said;  "Jack your just not right."        
Its nice to be appreciated for we really are. devil

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#10 [url]

May 19 13 4:45 AM

Total painted since November=0
Total assembled since November=0
Estimated time for start of 'Please let me paint something for the love of God!!!'=Possibly August (though I'm not holding my breath).

In the meantime there's tonnes of great figs out, Apoc Survivors for instance (I need some!), a box of studio mini's Z's my better half got me for Christmas still in their box, WGF GI's, WGF German Infantry, Skellies and GW Ogres, loads of great sales on figs here in the UK....oh and a very strange and somewhat scary urge to start painting Napoleonics in 28mm.....(I'd only dabbled before and on really done headway with them in 1/72 about 9 years ago)

I've a box of Peninsular Flank British Infantry still on their sprues sat in a storgae unit in Devon and they are calling me....

Repeat after me, 'Do not get in to Napoleonics....No good came come of it'. They do look soooo good ranked up though.....

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

May 19 13 11:37 AM

Rank them up 6 to a 60 x 40 stand and paint them in a quirky and interesting uniform scheme, and we can fit them into my imagi-nations world :)

Thats for infantry btw.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

May 19 13 12:15 PM

AHA! While my camera was charging I was able to use an extra we keep in case things like this happen. Unfortunately I had poor lighting, but here are some things I am working on.

1. 1/3 of a squadron of cavalry from my free cavalry box set. I love these mini's! Bases are in the mail so once they arrive I can start painting them in earnest.

2. Some hoplites which are going to be for my Fantasy project. more on this in another thread later.

3. Part of my sci-fi project, but I will also be making "not-ottomans" for this Imagi-nations project using the same parts.

4. The "to do" pile (which is technically not including all those figures built but not painted in other parts of my hobby room)

5. The basing table.The models pictures should have been finished months ago, but basing is my least favorite part of the wargaming hobby. The skaven at the back are done and have been waiting for storage containers for awhile. Anyone know how to dust models effectively, and what tool to use?

6. Test infantry model, the last of a couple sprues Bill gave me early last year.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

May 19 13 12:34 PM

AHA! While my camera was charging I was able to use an extra we keep in case things like this happen. Unfortunately I had poor lighting, but here are some things I am working on.1. 1/3 of a squadron of cavalry from my free cavalry box set. I love these mini's! Bases are in the mail so once they arrive I can start painting them in earnest.2. Some hoplites which are going to be for my Fantasy project. more on this in another thread later.3. Part of my sci-fi project, but I will also be making "not-ottomans" for this Imagi-nations project using the same parts.4. The "to do" pile (which is technically not including all those figures built but not painted in other parts of my hobby room)5. The basing table.The models pictures should have been finished months ago, but basing is my least favorite part of the wargaming hobby. The skaven at the back are done and have been waiting for storage containers for awhile. Anyone know how to dust models effectively, and what tool to use?6. Test infantry model, the last of a couple sprues Bill gave me early last year.

-guest_guest

That was me, and apparently all the files I uploaded did not upload, so to save time:

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#14 [url]

May 19 13 2:57 PM

@Lord_Marcus-The '(N)Otterman  looks ace mate, definitely borrowing that idea! Oh and as for dusting, a very soft bristled flat brush will do it (also handy for dusting books on a shelf without having to remove them all), just have to be gentle.

Since seeing the Not Otterman fig and the WGF Persian/Perry mash up figs posted here a short time ago, I'm really wondering if the Persian/Perry figs could be pressed into foot soldiers for a Napoleon in Egypt campaign.

They amy also be used as Greeks Mercenaries or Berber/Tripolian(?) Pirates? They'd be ideal for the First Berber (or is it Barbary?) war for United States Marines against the Tripoli Pirates...Wargames Illustrated did a feature on this historic piece a while ago and it's stuck in my mind.

Now does anyone know how I can kit bash some US Marines circa 1805?

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#15 [url]

May 19 13 3:06 PM

@Lord_Marcus-Forgot to add, great to see the Imperial (Warzone) Trencher in the background, great figs even after all this time  and is that one of the Mantic or Grekwood Werewolves? Very nice.....Me so jealous 

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

May 19 13 5:23 PM

@Lord_Marcus-The '(N)Otterman  looks ace mate, definitely borrowing that idea! Oh and as for dusting, a very soft bristled flat brush will do it (also handy for dusting books on a shelf without having to remove them all), just have to be gentle.Since seeing the Not Otterman fig and the WGF Persian/Perry mash up figs posted here a short time ago, I'm really wondering if the Persian/Perry figs could be pressed into foot soldiers for a Napoleon in Egypt campaign.They amy also be used as Greeks Mercenaries or Berber/Tripolian(?) Pirates? They'd be ideal for the First Berber (or is it Barbary?) war for United States Marines against the Tripoli Pirates...Wargames Illustrated did a feature on this historic piece a while ago and it's stuck in my mind.Now does anyone know how I can kit bash some US Marines circa 1805?[image]

-potter

Give me a day or two to get my source books (you can see how my library is overflowing) and I'll let you know.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#18 [url]

May 19 13 10:42 PM

Marcus,
First you have a great assortment of projects and miniatures there, and if I may say, certainly a 'most' supportive wife.
Now.. I have got to say I "love" the persian with the rifle, I can hardly wait until that ones painted and I can see it finished up.  Very nice WSS fig as well.

As for clearing 'dust' from miniatures, my solution came about when my mother was selling cosmetics. I got one of her 'powder' applicator brushes, it was about an inch wide and long. Most important the bristles were very soft. it did a really good job. As Potter said, the key word, 'be Gentle'.
In cases where the model had been setting in the open / on the shelf for a 'long' time, I wet the brush, but then "squeeze the buh-jezze's' out of it wrapped in a paper towel. Then 'rustle' the bristles a bit to loosen them..  again "gently" dust the model, this helped to pick up any dust in the smaller areas / cracks.

What is the green 'putty' your using to hold the WSS cav horse/ riders to the bottle caps?

Potter,
As for kitbashing some U.S. Marines of the 1805 era, just 'best guessing from the hip' here, but Im thinking your probably going to have to go with something along the lines of British or French line infantry as your 'starter' piece.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

May 20 13 9:26 AM

Wife? I'm a single college student living at home due to high dorm costs. :P 

The blue putty (I know it looks green) is Fun tak, a sticky tack putty made by the Loctite glue company. I get it at target, as well as my super glue. :)

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#20 [url]

May 20 13 1:47 PM

@Jack-Good idea mate-A paint job would probably suffice, I'm not a button counter so not fussed about turnbacks, or real life historical accuracy, it would just be nice to have some cool looking figs.

The hats might be harder to source though I'm sure some must have had their hat's knocked off in combat....(I can try and use some bare heads then.....)

The closest I can think of is something along the lines of Austrian Jager or Brunswick Avante Garde but I'm not sure if Marines had the folded brim....

Perry are bringing out some AWI American Militia in plastic soon so may have to give them a look see what hats come with them.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help