Remove this ad

Lead

May 15 13 2:31 PM

Tags : :

Howdy, first time on the forum so hello to all... The reason I joined is I'm looking to make some "frankensteins' - i.e. made, patchwork, men. I'm thinking that the plastic zombies look sufficiently "stiff" and "undead" but that the open wounds look a bit too "zombie" and that anything Frankenstein needs some stitches. My knee-jerk reaction is to fill in the wounds with some putty and ran some thin lines over various exposed body parts to give it a stitched feel. Maybe even kit-bash in a few non-zombie bits (such as the survivors) to make them look a bit fresher and alive than the "walkers." Any thoughts/helpful suggestions and so forth?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

mrinku

superstar

#1 [url]

May 15 13 4:32 PM

Yep. There are some good bases for Frankies in the Survivor kit.

Stitching can largely be done with paint. Unless you're good at very small and fiddly greenstuff work, modelling on stitching usually comes across is too crude.

However, if you're up for it, I'd start by making a shallow cut on the model to give both a valley and raise the edges of it either side slightly. Use a pin to mark the stitch holes, then join those up with very thinly rolled putty. Be prepared to rip the putty off if it doesn't look right. If it looks perfect, do another model and let it cure rather than risk mucking it up with further work.

Scars also work for these, depending on how dead you want them to look.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 29 13 4:07 AM

nonefornic,

Welcome to our forums!

For some reason both posts above just arrived today on my lefora.

May I suggest you try straight pins for your 'bolts'. You can tap them with a hammer to square then up or snip them, or use a metal file. Green stuff is NOT my friend so I usually look for a simple alternative. When ready, cut of the head tips and attach them to your figure.

I also like to use straight pins for my terrain/building work. If I like what I am seeing then I proceed to glue.

I hope this idea helps you.

Jim

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#3 [url]

Jun 29 13 3:56 PM

You can also make bolt heads using styrene rod. Comes in hex cross section as well, if you were after that effect, though the classic Boris Karloff look is just cylindrical (they're electrical contacts, not actually a bolt holding his head on...)

Spear shafts are also something to cut up and use.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help