Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 26 09 9:42 PM

Tags : :

I just preordered the two Spanish Conquistadores sets.  The submission for foot soldiers with flintlock guns would be much more appealing to me if they also came with crossbows / arbalests.  I use historical and quasi historical figures for fantasy gaming and keep most gunpowder weaponry to a minimum.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 5 09 5:19 AM

Historically the early conquistadors tended to use a mixture of arquebusses and crossbows - the crossbow was still kept in use by them long after it dropped out of use in the Old World.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Oct 19 11 6:22 AM

Did they have wheel locks as well?  Years ago I read a testimony (translated) by one of Cortes' cartographers, and they definitely used matchlocks and a large number of crossbows (which they apparently had more faith in) and also pikes.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#4 [url]

Oct 19 11 9:59 AM

First, Im with *Lyonstudio..  while I still love the mini's for GW's empire, but to me I see them more as something that could be used for "semi-historical" gaming when the world was shifting from the bow and sword to early gunpowder. The "Handgun". But IMHO, for fantasy Tolkien got it right!
"No gun powder.. No where". (Saruman cheated LOL) 

As for the Conquistadores.

they definitely used matchlocks and a large number of crossbows (which they apparently had more faith in)

*Bizzlesnach your probably exactly right..  we (society / especially the military) are slow to change. Im sure that "contraption".. the matchlock took sometime to win over supporters. And the same for the crossbow in its day when compared to the simple but "trusty bow".

And Im with you all on this.. I think this would be a GREAT addition to the WF line.
After all, they were the "army of the explorers" if you will. So 'opponents' are hardly restricted to the traditional central american aztec type nations.
There are also the Amazons or even fantasy army's like the LauL Fantasy submission "Jaguar Warriors" (shameless plug here).

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help