Remove this ad

bryon31

superstar

#81 [url]

Sep 22 12 1:32 PM

The episode actually looks at the concept of how zombies only function is to in fact infect other organisms with its disease.

The Vampire experts point out that there is no historical evidence that the vampires can catch "human" disease. They site that vampires have survived the most devastating era's of pestilence unscathed: Black Death, Polio, Influenza, Small Pocks, etc. So as far as the Vampire experts are concerned there is no possibility of cross species contamination from zed to vamp.

The Zombie experts site swine flu as an example of cross species contamination and claim that zed disease can be transferred from zeds to vamps.

The final battle leaves only 1 vamp standing and one of the experts makes a comment that he would have been infected. Next they show the vamp turn into a Vambie.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#84 [url]

Sep 23 12 8:09 AM

I would think that a zombie type virus would infect the brain of the host. So even though a vampire is not alive, it's brain is still functioning. So I would expect the zombie virus to have some effect on a vampire brain. Maybe not the same effect as on a living human brain, but certainly something.

It's silly because Max Brooks did a short story about vampires existing in his World War Z setting, and they were immune to the zombie virus. But he was one arguing in the show that they would be infected.

Besides, pirates beat ninja, ninja beat vampires, vampires beat zombies, zombies beat pirates. It's a whole circle of life/death kinda thing.

Quote    Reply   

#85 [url]

Sep 23 12 11:42 AM

I would think that a zombie type virus would infect the brain of the host. So even though a vampire is not alive, it's brain is still functioning. So I would expect the zombie virus to have some effect on a vampire brain. Maybe not the same effect as on a living human brain, but certainly something.
It's silly because Max Brooks did a short story about vampires existing in his World War Z setting, and they were immune to the zombie virus. But he was one arguing in the show that they would be infected.

-tinyminis

Mm. but lacking certain essentials like cellular metabolism, or a functioning circulatory system, it's difficult to see how the virus would get established in a vampire host.

Unless of course, this is a Hollywood virus, and laughs at the need for effective transmission vectors, incubation periods and the like. . . .
(No, I'm not endlessly exasperated by film-makers frequent failure to do basic research. Honestly, whatever gave you that idea. . . .)

Besides, pirates beat ninja, ninja beat vampires, vampires beat zombies, zombies beat pirates. It's a whole circle of life/death kinda thing.

-tinyminis

I take it the conservation of ninjitsu is in effect. . . ?

"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein. . ."

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#86 [url]

Sep 24 12 6:23 AM

Everyone knows its Spartan hoplite beat ninja and samurai.  If you don't believe me watch season one episode 3 (Spartan vs. Ninja) and episode 10 (Spartan vs. Samurai)

Most amazing thing, the shield (aspis) of the hoplite was one of the best offensive weapons rated by the deadliest warrior team in the first season. Not forgetting its defensive properties.

Quote    Reply   

#87 [url]

Nov 7 12 12:20 PM

The aspis was the generational precursor to the Roman scutum. IIRC Roman legionnaires were deliberately trained to use the scutum as an offensive weapon to smash or stun an opponent prior to finishing them off with their gladius. They would use both the iron boss and the upper rim to deliver a blow, either directly head-on to the target, or when using the upper rim to catch an opponent on the chin, opening them up for a killing thrust.

The Zulus used their hide shields in a similar manner, as a means of parrying an opponents weapon, throwing the opponent off balance and opening up their unprotected side all in one move:

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#88 [url]

Nov 7 12 1:52 PM

Didn't know that about the zulu's but it makes sense.  I mean why limit your options in melee combat.  Close combat its not honorable, its kill or be killed and if smacking a guy in the chin with the top of my shield will give me a split second advantage to deliver a killing blow I'm going to take it.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#89 [url]

Nov 8 12 12:46 AM

Didn't know that about the zulu's but it makes sense.   Close combat its not honorable, its kill or be killed

-bryon31

Yea, from what I have read and picked up on the Zulu tactics;
the idea was that once you were in close with your opponent, you were to "try and 'hook' their shield with yours, then pull it out and to your left (turning him if possible in the process)" this not only got them off balance, but if done right (and a bit of luck) gave you a 'clear shot' at their now.. wide open rib cage under their shileld arm. An all but sure kill.

Bryon you are oh so right. Rule One of combat.. "Dont Die"    Rule Two... Re-read Rule One.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#90 [url]

Nov 8 12 6:02 AM

"...once you were in close with your opponent, you were to "try and 'hook' their shield with yours, then pull it out and to your left (turning him if possible in the process)" this not only got them off balance, but if done right (and a bit of luck) gave you a 'clear shot' at their now.. wide open rib cage under their shileld arm. An all but sure kill."

-jack

How poeticly brutal.  I must admit I get a pain in my side just reading this. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#91 [url]

Nov 9 12 1:53 AM

How poeticly brutal.  -bryon31

Wasnt it though?
Im not sure but I believe this information came from a PBS or History Channel Special on Shaka Zulu and the changes he made in the Zulu military.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#92 [url]

Nov 18 12 2:27 AM

Wasnt it though?
Im not sure but I believe this information came from a PBS or History Channel Special on Shaka Zulu and the changes he made in the Zulu military.

-jack

If memory serves correct (HA!) this was reenacted in the miniseries Shaka Zulu years ago in a convincing if lurid (Hollywood) fashion. Small wonder the Zulus under Shaka and his successors were so rightly feared by their immediate neighbors, including the Boers...

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#93 [url]

Nov 18 12 3:36 AM

If memory serves correct (HA!) this was reenacted in the miniseries Shaka Zulu years ago in a convincing if lurid (Hollywood) fashion. Small wonder the Zulus under Shaka and his successors were so rightly feared by their immediate neighbors,..

-luoshangzhi

Excellent memory *Luoshangzhi!  I had forgotten all about that one.
But then again if "My" memory serves, (I see your Ha and raise you a "Hm  Hmmm") If thats the one I recall, it was released during my highschool years (Yes kids, we had "talking pictures" back then!)
Unfortunately I did not appreciate it enough to watch it. At that time (HS) I was studying more uhm, 'biology'. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

However, the information I was refering too, I believe 'was' from the History channel. They had a series entitled "Soldiers" or "Warriors", something to that effect. Sorry friends, its been at least 10+ yrs., so dates are a bit fuzzy. It really was a great series, each week it covered anything from Native American Commanchee warriors to those of the Hawaii Islands to units of the ECW to modern warfare tactics/ equipment.

Quote    Reply   

#94 [url]

Nov 19 12 11:23 AM

Catch up on your viewing, Jack:

Usuthu! Usuthu!

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#95 [url]

Nov 20 12 1:54 AM

Luoshangzhi

Many thanks... however. When I realized the 'running time' on the 'clip' (lol) was two Hours.. not 2 Minutes+, I almost croaked. Heck I even got a little misty just hopeing I'd live long enough for my "mouse on the wheel" outdated system to DL all of that.  But the effort is appreciated.
I will have to check around my public library, see if by chance I can catch a copy of this, or similar information.

Thanks again..  
From one evil genius.. well in training, is the quest for knowledge ever really 'completed'?..   to another.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#96 [url]

Nov 20 12 1:59 AM

Near Future Police...

We were saying? 

Not that I dont love the topic we 'kind of sorta" got off onto, but we need to get the train back on track fellows.  And FYI.. Im clearly part of the 'derailment' here.
Ooops.  surprise

I fear if we keep doing that, we might loose 'everyones' interest in the Thread Topic.

Quote    Reply   

#97 [url]

Nov 20 12 3:09 AM

Near Future ZULU Police.

Job done.

And, as there were comments above . . .

Zombie Uniformed Liquidation Unit

Z.U.L.U. Police - the elite unit of the near-future, devoted to keeping innocent people safe from marauding hordes of shambling zombies and confusingly-sexy zombie vixens!

I am in ur base, killin ur doods Abraham is in Ur, contemplatin the will of God

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#98 [url]

Nov 20 12 5:46 AM

Yes, we need task force Zulu to beat down the hordes.   I am still in for near-future cops.  I think it would be a kit that fits multiple niches. 

Quote    Reply   

#99 [url]

Nov 20 12 5:57 AM

jack,

Netflick has all three films on computer/internet file:
Zulu Dawn
Shaka Zulu
Zulu

All three have 5 of 5 stars, and I agree 100%. If anyone is thinking on working with Zulu figures all three films could be helpful.

The shield first to lift, and then stab with the shortened spear is demonstrated in the Shaka Zulu series.

Jim

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#100 [url]

Nov 20 12 4:03 PM

I've seen the 1st and last one, but never Shaka Zulu.

Wasn't it a mini series?

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help