Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Nov 28 09 2:43 PM

Well, also the description tends to be a bit on the vague side...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Nov 30 09 10:32 AM

With the number of fantasy men at arms type figures out there from a wide variety of sources, I don't think these will do too well without some really concrete imagry to go with them.

For me, the WF Vikings and Germans will be filling this role - so I would really rather see this one done as an add on sprue to those sets.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Nov 30 09 2:12 PM

I agree - perhaps a mix and match box set would fill the role...  of Vikings, Germans and (if they do them) 100year war knights on foot?

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Nov 30 09 7:44 PM

Dark Ages.....roving bands in partial Roman gear with added bits of replacement armour mixed in. Franks, Carolingians, peasants doing strange thinks with chickens and a goose or three.

For myself.....I can find historical minies that I can use/convert to fantasy use. More historical first please.wink

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Dec 1 09 1:48 PM

Though by the sounds of it WGF also need to release a chicken and Goose sprue!  wink

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Dec 22 09 2:48 PM

Speaking of selling historical models as fantasy models, who remembers the old Grenadier Fantasy Warriors range (the one sculpted by Mark Copplestone), and specifically the human men-at-arms models contained in that one?

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Dec 23 09 6:26 PM

Sounds very familiar. Brings back memories of years ago. I was collecting Grenadier minies. Then suddenly the company was closed, gone, no longer accepting orders. Not from direct customers or indie stores wanting to (re)stock.

Heck, I remember when Grenadier minies came in Greenwood and Ball brand name boxes. I still have a hundred or so of their Greeks (w/thrusting spears). I sold most of the fantasy warriors several years ago.

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Dec 24 09 10:41 AM

Actually, I checked the details and those models were called Fighting Men and not Men-at-arms (except for one blister).

However, the interesting point of the said models is that instead of being based on some actual fantasy design, these models were actually more or less based on late 15th century Europe, and could have been equally well sold as actual historical models (well, Companion Miniatures has been actually doing that at some point).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#30 [url]

Dec 25 09 11:07 AM

There have been a fair number of times that the differences between "historical" and "fantasy" warriors/minies was the description on the blister/box.

WAY back when.....what was starting to be called Games Workshop/Citadel, GW sold "historical" minies. Minies "suitable" for historical wargaming use. You couldn't buy specific minies by code/stock numbers (that were in use). The warehouse employee got to decide THAT...."randomly selected".

Ever been in an antique mall or at a flea market and saw 25/28mm wargame minies being sold as antique toys? Some were actually stamped Games Workshop!!surprise

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Dec 25 09 11:20 AM

Indeed, the 1980's Citadel Bretonnian ranges look like something straight out of 13th or 14th century western Europe.

And I also do own some 1980's Citadel figures that look like they were originally sculpted to be Wars of the Roses figures - and by the style, they look like they might have been sculpted by the Perries!

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Dec 26 09 4:34 PM

This is not a new phenomenon. Our local game shop owner could only move LOTR minis from the Perry brothers to his D&D crowd. Absolutely beautiful minis I have been waiting for the minis/movies for almost my entire life.  I purchased hundreds myself, of course at the time the gamers I was running with only played 40k. The fantasy gamers  were the market the game shop owner had for that product.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Sep 9 10 2:41 PM

Hmm... I know WF has shied away from doing this, but it would make more sense to stick with the current historical and release a sprue allowing you to customize the figures.  Fantasy men at arms are easily covered by current or possibly future historical sets.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." - Robert E. Howard

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jul 2 11 5:08 AM

Never payed any attention to this til the series Game of Thrones came out. Now I'm researching gaming the series in 28mm. So far Im using proxy War of the Roses (mostly Perry) minis but I would rather find some unique looking later medieval fantasy figures that would work.

If you made these figures to work for Game of Thrones families (later medieval) I think people would by them in droves. Here would be some of my pictorial suggestions:

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Jul 10 11 1:57 PM

I'm just about to start in converting Perry's Wars of the Roses figures for Game of Thrones.
Houses Lannister and Stark are fine for this. High medieval fantasy concept. Plate for Lannister and the leather for Stark.
Hundred Years Wars figures would be equally ideal for house Stark
Brettonians from GW would be suitable too.

The Wildings could be a mix of WF germans and vikings. (Though I am using West Wind Games and Old Glory - Ancient Irish)

To get a more fantasy feeling you could use the orc weapons and bodies with human heads. Not sure of the fit but might work.

To go back to the original thread it needs to be more specific.

Fantasy men at arms in a mix of leather and plate armour with ...
To be honest it doesn't work as a generality.
Early Medieval Fantasy would be the Vikings and Saxons, Normans.
Medieval period would be 12th/13th Century. Crusades etc.
High medieval, 14th/15th Century - Hundred Years War and Wars of the Roses.

To get the 'fantasy' feel then you simply need to add spikes, and a range of horned helmets, wild shields and weird weapons.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help