Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 23 09 7:36 AM

Tags : :

I have just ordered the massive Zulu army deal and a couple boxes of the British to get started with.
Now I need some rules to go with them.
Now all my money is spent (and some I should not really have spent) so I need to find FREE rules.
I would like to mount these two models to a 40x20mm base (as I have hundreds of these bought awhile back for a game that never happened). The only other choice is pennies, but as I don't have models in hand yet I don't know if they will fit on them or not.
I game almost entirely solo now so rules that allow that would be helpful, but I still find enjoyment in playing things like warhammer solo, so this is not a "hard" requirement.
Anyone have any ideas?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Jul 23 09 8:21 AM

Yeah, I have been making my way down that list.
What these lack is any sort of player comments.
I am looking for advice from people who have played some of these and that could recommend some of the better ones listed.

I have read a bit about The Sword And The Flame. It does sound like a very good game. But as I said I have nothig left to spend on rules for a long while as my gaming dollars recover from my large order.

I have a copy of Two Hour Wargames: Colonial Adventures. This seems like a very good game and may very well be what I go with. But as I said before I am looking to use up some of my multi-fig bases if I can, and these rules do not really go for that.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jul 25 09 11:12 AM

I came across a set of rule mods called "Warhammer Darkest Africa". These look rather entertaining. They have a quite a bit of stuff packed into a handful of pages. It looks like they are a mod for 3rd edition 40k, but could probably be adapted to any other edition.

Still not exactly what I am looking for, but thought I would mention them for others.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 21 09 3:59 PM

Take a look at my posting in the A Call for Battle! section of the forum.  In my first posting, I list three sources.  The first source (colonialwargaming.co.uk) lists both commercial and free rules for Anglo-Zulu warfare.  From the second source (freewargamesrules.co.uk), I constructed a list of various free rules that I thought interesting enough to download.  The last source (miniaturewargaming.com) had the free Lawks Drift rules and scenario by Henry Hyde.

My second posting lists the Colonial Adventures rules from the Two Hours Wargames site and also the interesting Patrol in N'Gululand battle report based upon the Colonial Adventrures rules that show how the rules capture the flavor of an Anglo-Zulu battle.

In summary, my first posting demonstrates that you can get plenty of free rules to use with the Wargames Factory British and Zulu plastic miniatures.  In addition, the Colonial Adventures battle report leads me to believe that it is a modest cost rule set that captures the flavor of the period and provides for battles that can easily be played in a few hours.

If you find that your enthusiasm wanes, just grab your copy of the movie Zulu!, that first introduced the actor Michael Caine, and enjoy its presentation of the battle for Rorke's Drift to boost that enthusiasm.  If you don't have the movie just wait for it to show up on television.  It appears from time to time on both cable/satellite and free broadcast channels.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 22 09 12:52 PM

I don't know if you read my earlier post, but I do have a copy of Colonial Adventures. I have been using them to play ACW for a quite awhile now. I have pretty much decided that for the time being I will also be using them for my "Not-Earth" Colonials campaign.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Sep 9 09 7:37 AM

I highly recommend THWG COLONIAL ADVENTURES, and suggest going to the www page for THWG and downloading CR3.0 for FREE to see if the radically different game system is to your liking. it is different, but as an example of how easy it is to learn, it is easy to teach at convention games to players with no experience with the system or no miniatures gaming experience at all.

DAWGIE

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Nov 16 09 1:20 PM

I highly recommend THWG COLONIAL ADVENTURES, and suggest going to the www page for THWG and downloading CR3.0 for FREE to see if the radically different game system is to your liking. it is different, but as an example of how easy it is to learn, it is easy to teach at convention games to players with no experience with the system or no miniatures gaming experience at all.

DAWGIE

-dawgie

I totally agree, and to do the zulu war you can download both CR 3.0 and Sword Play (both free at THW) and just use the sword play melee rules for the zulu and the shooting from 3.0 for the brits.  After you read the rules you'll see that they are so similar that this isn't as difficult as it sounds at first.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 11 10 9:12 AM

I like Fields of Honor for mass combat and Fire and Steel for skirmish, G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. for sci-fi.  FOH is currently out of print, but my local game store has bought the rights to it and supposedly will be doing a new edition of it.

Lo, there do I see the line of my people. Lo, they do call me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live...forever

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jul 30 10 3:51 AM

Just played my first game of The Sword and the Flame and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly recommend them for anyone starting out in British Colonials.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help