Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Aug 4 09 11:50 AM

In the latest batch of 100, I have about 30% Muskets and 5% Martini Henri. 
The other 65% have a mix of clubs and stabbing spears, with circa 35% with javelins too.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#23 [url]

Aug 7 09 12:58 AM

Dear Admiral Yi,

Zulus were trained to use them underarm, rather like a stabbing sword such as a Roman Gladius.  However, I am sure that in the heat of battle, they were also sometimes used overarm like a spear.

Mick

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#24 [url]

Oct 8 11 10:09 AM

I am currently building a 160 figure impi.
Mick

-mickfarnworth

*Mick..
I know its a "wee bit late" to be asking.. (to say the least) lol, but Im sure you did complete your Impi.
A couple of quick questions..
1) What rules set were you / are you using?  Sword and Flame or other?
2) Considering you were 'aiming' for a 160 fig Impi.. what is the Fig to Man ratio for 28mm w the rules your using?

Thanks

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#25 [url]

Nov 27 11 10:10 AM

Its clear the Samurai have taken the "lead" on point of interest right now, and understandable being WF's latest release.

But I'd very much like to know how everyone's work has progressed with these various "Zulu Projects".
And of course if anyone has any "battle reports"..  I wouldnt mind hearing how those games turned out as well.

Best to all as the year begins to wind down.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#27 [url]

Nov 28 11 12:29 AM

Zedeyejoe,  thanks for putting those here online. I enjoyed readying how the game ran. And some great mini's by the way. It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself.

In reading your first "action", you mentioned 'halving' the size of the units. I was thinking myself, of placing them (the Zulu's) in units of 20 as well. For ease of movement to use something like *Litko systems movement stands, in this case two 5 x 2 stands would be just right to accomidate an "impi" / unit of 20 figures.

And I have to say, I really love the having to roll to take action, type of rules. It gives a game that since of true reality, of not knowing what 'might happen' during the chaos of battle.
After all, if the soldiers "always" charge, never hesistate, if reinforcments "always" show up precisly when they are supposed to, and if the artillary 'never' misfires or suffers the possibility of running out of ammunition, then the games become as predictable as watching the hands on a clock.

Thanks again..  great reading..and viewing.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#29 [url]

Nov 28 11 2:29 PM

I am afraid I am not a fan of the roll to take action rules. Happy to play them of course but replacing the 'god-view' with luck does not seem an improvement to me.

-zedeyejoe

I can understand your point. Perhaps I should clarify..
After re-reading my own post (originally written w one good eye at 3 30 am )   grin
"Love" is too strong a word.. but seriously I do think it adds that "unknown" factor to a game that plagues every battlefield.

I recall you pointed out correctly in the "batte-report", as well as my own reading of factual engagements. The british "practically" never, if ever lost a battle. Technology made an enormous difference (the Martini-Henry for example).
I think when you have that situation, unless you have some randomizing factor, especially for bringing in reinforcements, the game is practically decided before its even played, so why would you even bother at that point?  Just MHO of course.

Maybe I just watched Zulu and the much later filmed prequel Zulu Dawn too many times.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Nov 30 11 3:10 AM

Ah yes but luck has its own problems in trying to simulate the fog of war. How often did troops fail to arrive where they should or fail to charge? If one makes these things too likely to happen then a player can sit around rolling bad dice and doing nothing for most of the game (and yes that has happened to me).

And there is a fair amount of luck covered in shooting/combat  anyway.

Zulu Dawn, an example of poor generalship. If the main column had stayed together they would have beaten the Zulu.

Zulu, now imagine that the commander of Rorkes Drift  had decided to fall back and been caught in the open. Result, another British defeat but would have been a bad command choice and those choices are taken by players in our games. As it was, good choice and really just a case of standing and shooting until the end of the battle. Zulu had never done well against the Boer wagon laager, so correct tactics worked as they should.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#31 [url]

Jul 26 12 10:51 PM

Been a while (understandment) since I commented here, but my good fortune of 'at last' being able to order my second box (Regt) of Zulu's has brought me back.

Ah yes but luck has its own problems in trying to simulate the fog of war. How often did troops fail to arrive    or   to charge? If one makes these things too likely to happen then a player can sit around rolling bad dice and doing nothing for most of the game (and yes that has happened to me).-Zedeyejoe

I feel your pain. In one Warmaster game, my (now sold) Bretonnian Knights did "nothing" for 3 complete turns. Command roll failure after failure. By then.. it was all but over. I think its important to have some 'random' factor in these games, but to find that 'medium' so its not as you put it, "too likely to happen".

Zulu Dawn, an example of poor generalship. If the main column had stayed together they would have beaten the Zulu.

Excellent point. Underestimating your enemy, can be his greatest allie. An article I printed and read repeatedly, briefly documents the battle of Blood River where, "464 straight-shooting Voortrekkers", entrenched behind a wagon laager, defeated a large Zulu army. Though they make no mention of the size of the force, you can estimate their size by the final summation..(the battle) "which left 3,000 warriors dead on the field or floating on the waters of the Ncome..."
This clearly shows that skill, 'advanced weaponry' and a well defended position could easily turn what should have been just 'a battle' or even a victory for the Zulu, into a massacre.
And no question to your comments on the command decision at "Rorkes" to stand and fight. If they had moved out, it would have been little more than a bloody skirmish from the Zulu point of view, after Isandlwana.

Well again.. more Zulus on the way Hurrah! (I loved working.. ok painting my first set), now if I can only "convert" some locals to 28mm.. and away from this '10 and even 6mm plague' thats sweeping the miniature players here. LOL    Wish Me Luck.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Jul 27 12 5:16 AM

Everyone,

My friends and I years ago took strategic dice (command & control also), and converted the numbers to a chit system. 

For example, on a six sided result use a single chit for each result. All the chits are drawn once and then replaced when all six results occur. (This prevents the, oh no I rolled 3 sixes in a row, result that happened above.) If you want more fog of war use 2 sets of chits and reshuffle as soon as 1 of each result occurs using those 6 only, keep the rest in the used pile until one of each is again available.

I am currently using WF bases for a random generation system for shock troops vs. zombies that is playing very well. (At Historicon I was running 7 and 8 player team games. The last game ended with the last trooper running out of the building at the last possible second to win.... A new rule coming out soon for shock troops vs. zombies!) 

I am also working on a random event system based on the chit system above. During the last game at the convention, using one die all 6 results generate a possible special action by rolling a second six. In that game with over 100+ combats not a single second 6 was rolled! At the end of the game I did provide what the 'first' special event was to the players.

Over the years I have found a chit or card system far superior to rolling dice for critical rolls.  Bad luck can ruin a fun game when it requires you to sit and do nothing turn after turn. I believe the random element/ fog of war with a chit system is maintained while allowing more fun. My goal is to have fun, and if that is your focus also please give my chit system a trial run.

Jim

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#33 [url]

Dec 23 12 2:44 AM

Ironically 'storage' capacity is my biggest block to getting on with being consistent on working on my Zulu Impi's.  

Now I'd really like some help on this..
I have some of the Very helpful notes that Mick put in this thread on the Zulus and regimental organization.  In planning a head for my 3rd and probably 4th regt's, I noticed "Mixed Shield" regiment as a designation.

This has me puzzled. 
Im clear that White shld = Exp / Vet,   Black shld = In Exp / Grn.,   Red shld = Exp regt. 
However the "Mixed shld" leaves me to wonder..  are these regiments with shields of 'red / blk', or perhaps all 3 main colors, 'red / blk / white' all on one shield to designate the regiments of that particular age group?

Any one that can help clarify this.. it would be appreciated.  In the mean time, Im going to do a bit of internet searching to see what I can find out.

Thanks again.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Dec 23 12 9:42 AM

Watched that Zulu series that was recommended on this forum and I have to say for an old series, was pretty well done. Story was good although some of the fight scenes repeated themselves (hey- they killed those guys already!).

I especially liked the parts where Chaka improved warfare and the technology to fight it. Fit in with other sources to substantiate the fact enough for this chump as being truth. This lesson still perpetuates itself throughout history and it did long before Chaka's time.

I'm not about to run out and buy a pile of Zulus and Colonial Brits but as a student of history I am grateful for the exposure you guys provided.

Merry Christmas to that it applies and Happy Holidays to those that it applies to.

Mudgunner

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#36 [url]

Jan 2 13 12:34 PM

Yea..
I know when the Zulu's faced the British with their 'modern' rifles, it was more often a massacre than a battle.
Still theres something I find interesting about gaming that period / theater. From what I have read, on the rules "The Sword and The Flame", the guy that first drafted the game, Larry Brom, took that technical difference into account when creating the rules.
Its said "he had 5 objectives" when he set out to write his colonial period rules. 

You will find that info here if you'd like to read more..    TSATF    (I hope that worked)

SO..  the Zulus "could" actually win. I just think the author had 3 basic ideas behind writing the game...
One, make the game fun.
Two, make the game fun and..
Three, make it historically accurate (kind of).

Sounds like my kind of game.. but seriously, I would say TSATF is 'not' for the more "True Historical" gamer. Those who prefer all aspects of the game are based on historical record and known facts.

Dont get me wrong.. even I would have no interest in a game where "Luke joined the Dark Side" or where the Zulu's just 'wiped the floor" over the British army..   just aint gonna happen.
But 'tweeking' a rules set to make a game more balanced, I think more than a few of us have played those games and after all.. the main reason to Play.. is to have fun.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Jan 7 13 4:49 PM

I have been working on my Zulu's for over a year now. I decided to paint them all with assegai's and shields. No rifles or muskets. For game purposes they are present in the units, just not on the miniatures. I really like the massed shield look. I will be running a game at Cincyon in Cincinnati, Ohio of March 2nd. Around 1500 Zulu's.
Keep up the good work Wargames Factory.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#39 [url]

Jan 7 13 9:07 PM

Rxpjks

Don't forget to post some pics they sound great -potter

Thats a requirement young man!  Just kidding.
But seriously, I would love to see any pics when this game is played and if any of your group cares to, please post a "battle report". Just a thought.
As for the Zulu's, Im currently working on my 2nd Regt. Its a Black shield (25 - 40+ age, UNmarried warriors) 20 warriors per regiment. For this one I am going to add in 4 muskets to my unit.
Most of my future regiments, (and there WILL Be more) will probably not have any 'gun's. I like the more traditional look also, but I think the presense of even muskets, depending the rules you use, can give the Zulu's some, "range attack".
Just FYI, my 3rd & 4th regiments will be the Red shield (Im looking fwd to creating those 'red' tones) regiments.

Best of Luck

Final thought to all. .  I dont know Why? But "Lefora" will change your post's Font AT WILL, see my above post as an example. Trust me..that was NOT my doing. And Frustrating..

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Jan 8 13 5:22 AM

rxpjks,

I agree with Jack, PLEASE post some pictures of your army while you have everything set up at the convention.

Is there a game store you are working with in your area? Your army would be great to share with them as well.

Jim

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help