Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Aug 30 09 8:06 PM

I have to wonder if that is due to a lack of good mini's or a lack of interest.  Seems to me that without the mini's there's no interest, yet without interest no one is going to risk making the mini's.  You can't even find good Dutch mini's in 1/35 scale.

-jjdiffley

You can't find any books in English, either. I have no idea what's available in Dutch.

As a colonials enthusiast for over 35 years now, I say with confidence that there has never been any measureable interest in Dutch colonial campaigns and - short of declassified documents emerging to show that heroic Dutch garrisons bravely took on hordes of cannibal/headhuntins zombies - this will remain the case.

Ain't gonna happen. I'd put money on it. And I don't usually bet on anything.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Aug 30 09 8:08 PM

You can't find any books in English, either. I have no idea what's available in Dutch.
As a colonials enthusiast for over 35 years now, I say with confidence that there has never been any measureable interest in Dutch colonial campaigns and - short of declassified documents emerging to show that heroic Dutch garrisons bravely took on hordes of cannibal/headhuntins zombies - this will remain the case.
Ain't gonna happen. I'd put money on it. And I don't usually bet on anything.

-howardwhitehouse

Have to agree with you Howard, 100%.  Shame too, as I'd love to see the headhunting zombie natives wink

John

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Aug 30 09 8:23 PM

Have to agree with you Howard, 100%.  Shame too, as I'd love to see the headhunting zombie natives [image]
John

-jjdiffley

Well, wouldn't we all?

And maybe we should go ahead with them!

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Oct 16 09 11:03 AM

Do you mean Dutch or Afrikaan Boers a Boer set might be a different matter as its a fascinating war. The text book example of how not to run a military campaign, its also an example of quantity and ruthlessness over quality. Oddly enough the British screw ups during the Boer War probably saved thousands in 1914 just imagine the carnage if the British had been still equipped with red coats during Passenchdale and Ypres!

"True but when you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power." Sam Starfall from Freefall freefall.purrsia.com/default.htm

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Oct 17 09 2:06 AM

Especially given how many Irish volunteers their were in the British Army and they were representative of all walks of life.........

If you think I'm joking remember what the French were wearing in 1914.......

"True but when you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power." Sam Starfall from Freefall freefall.purrsia.com/default.htm

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Oct 17 09 5:58 AM

The British wore red coats in the disastrous 1881 war againts the Boers, as they had against the zulus two years earlier. At the same time in India they were wearing khaki. By the 1890s all British overseas expeditions wore khaki.

The British had a lot of problems in the 2nd Boer War (1899-1902) but at least they were not dressed in red coats.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#33 [url]

Jan 3 10 1:52 PM

Some arab/Afghan style figures would be enormously useful for both colonial, modern day and futuristic settings. The clothes have not changed enormously so just offer different arms - Jazels, SMLE and AK-47 and possibly an RPG-7 and you have Afghanistan and the north-west frontier covered from the 19th century to the 21st not to mention many other conflicts both colonial and modern.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jan 3 10 3:31 PM

I doubt this will be popular. I'd rather see WF build on what they already have made, rather than a complete new range. Hence, heads, weapons and maybe some body types so as to make other african tribes including late Zulu warriors. Some shirt and pants types, spears, bows, shotguns, shields, different tribal heads. This would expand the range greatly with only one sprue.

Once that is done. Then continue with the theme with Natal, and Boer types, including mtd. troops. In other words finish a complete range of African Colonials. Then go from there. Should be able to handle it with a maximum of 3 new sprues.

For a complete new range. The rebellions of India would be my vote. Hasn't been done overly much and is quite colorful. Plus, who doesn't like Elephants?

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Jan 11 10 5:25 PM

Boxer Rebellion Chinese....

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Jan 11 10 7:30 PM

Howard,

what happened to my L&UL proposal for 19th Century Victorian-era naval ordinance?

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#40 [url]

Mar 21 10 10:07 PM

They may / may not be a popular set to game with, but how can you have "Colonial British" going into Africa without having at least the risk of engaging..... the BOER's?

If fact as I recall, Winston Churchill was so impressed with their light horse 'hit & run' raids against the British during the war, that it was he who coined the phrase "Commando's" when refering to them.
Sadly the British also coined another phrase as a result of that war, "Concentration Camp".

After thought..  other African tribes are a great idea, after all, the Zulu's seemed to fear non and fought many surrounding tribes as well as both the British army and Boer's.
So if you have any one of these three 'factions' you have no less than two potential "enemies".

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help