Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Mar 21 10 10:11 PM

Personally I want to see the other black african tribes the british delt with. New heads, and a couple of bodies with other weapons and shields would be great. That way players could mix and match with the zulu figures to produce other tribes. After that Boers are the best bet. After all they fought wars against both the English and African tribes, including the Zulu.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Mar 22 10 8:55 AM

They may / may not be a popular set to game with, but how can you have "Colonial British" going into Africa without having at least the risk of engaging..... the BOER's?
If fact as I recall, Winston Churchill was so impressed with their light horse 'hit & run' raids against the British during the war, that it was he who coined the phrase "Commando's" when refering to them.
Sadly the British also coined another phrase as a result of that war, "Concentration Camp".

After thought..  other African tribes are a great idea, after all, the Zulu's seemed to fear non and fought many surrounding tribes as well as both the British army and Boer's.
So if you have any one of these three 'factions' you have no less than two potential "enemies".

-jack

I don't recall which issue it was, but sometime in the past year to year-and-a-half, Wargamer magazine did a brilliant article and photo spread of a clash between the English and Boers.  What made this one article so interesting was it featured Winston Churchill on his first assignment as a War Correspondent, and was an attack by the Boers upon an English armored train.  If I can dig out my copy I will scan in the pics.  The guy who wrote the article, as well as doing all the painting, also built a the train's engine and a couple of armored open top box cars (the actual train had nine cars I think but for simplicity he and his group only used two).  Not only was it a great modeling & painting job, but a great little re-enactment of a minor skirmish that actually had huge world ramifications still felt today.  What if Churchill had been killed?  Something to think about...

John

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Apr 12 10 11:52 AM

Would love to see Boers ................. but would also like to see Dervish ......... and Pathans .........ah well........................

Boers #1 though .......... problem is with Boers you really have to have the horses ............

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Apr 12 10 12:30 PM

True - but for the non-converter .......... Boers horses with Boer accoutrements would be nice - and Boers on horses...............

I would love some Boer Artillery - but thats a dream.

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Apr 12 10 5:54 PM

Boers would be good for me too. Period colonials for use in other areas of Africa would be nice too.

Boers first.

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#48 [url]

Apr 13 10 6:16 AM

Im going to ask after the manner I have seen WF do in the past.

Guys, from your "Most Wanted to Lesser".. what are your 3 choices for the Next Enemies of The Empire?

As for myself..

1)     The Boers
2)     The Indian Rebellion
3)     More African Tribe variations.

And eventually, we have to have the Natal contingent. Yes, I know thats 4 not 3 and thats an allie not an enemy, but Im weak!!!  crying

And if I dont plug it here, Santa wont bring it by Christmas! Lets face it, fat-so can only carry so much in that sleigh, so WF, its  up to you to do the rest.  wink

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Apr 13 10 12:11 PM

Im going to ask after the manner I have seen WF do in the past.
Guys, from your "Most Wanted to Lesser".. what are your 3 choices for the Next Enemies of The Empire?
As for myself..
1)     The Boers
2)     The Indian Rebellion
3)     More African Tribe variations.

And eventually, we have to have the Natal contingent. Yes, I know thats 4 not 3 and thats an allie not an enemy, but Im weak!!!  [image]
And if I dont plug it here, Santa wont bring it by Christmas! Lets face it, fat-so can only carry so much in that sleigh, so WF, its  up to you to do the rest.  [image]

-jack

For me What I want less is first.
1. Indian Rebellion. (excellent subject, but I'd rather see Africa first filled out)
2. Boers, both enemies of the African Tribes and allies/enemies of the British. Great choice.
3. African Tribe variations. It is what I want the most. New heads covers many options including the Native Natal Troops, which would use Zulu Bodies. Add some new weapons and one or two different body options and you can cover many different groups. It would make a great add on to the base Zulu range to produce a myrid of different subjects.

As for certain Natal Troops, for the most part they can be handled with kit bashing Boers, British and even Native heads. Some new hats, and maybe one figure in a shell jacket could work too.

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Apr 13 10 12:18 PM

Personally speaking, any of the Empire's enemies would be great.  I don't do English troops, but if given the chance to paint up armies of their enemies, I'll jump at that!  Mowing down an English army on a game table would make me so happy! ;-P  (Yes my Irish is showing)

John

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Apr 13 10 7:56 PM

Mowing down an English army on a game table would make me so happy! ;-P  (Yes my Irish is showing)
John

-jjdiffley

HW: John, who do you think those men in red coats were, half of the time?

Do you have any idea what proportion of any English county, or Scots regiment was made up of Irishmen? Somewhere between a third and a half in many cases.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#53 [url]

Apr 14 10 6:43 AM

Not too get "too far" off subject, but "JJD..", part of my family is Native American / Irish.

I know that by and large the English looked down on the Irish as second class in much the same way that the average American of the 1800's saw the Black American. But in both cases, those "second class men" fought with honor and courage, and (if for no other reason that Self respect) with Pride for the Nation they served and the uniform they wore.

So in keeping with what "Mr. H." pointed out: When your cheering the destruction of a British force, arent you cheering the loss of some of our own? Historically speaking.

Please take this simply as friendly "food for thought".

Now more to the point ....
"Gamer.."   As I recall, (please help me here if Im off) the Natal troops were in many cases, outfitted with only the bare necessities of uniforms. In fact it was not uncommon for these units to go barefoot?
And on the subject of weapons, only a percentage of them were even "permitted" firearms, but were armed much as the Zulu or other Native warriors of the time?

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Apr 14 10 7:51 AM

Empire Enemies ranking - for me:

1) Boers by a long shot - both for Boer war and MANY useful conversions.
2) Indian Rebellion - I've already converted a bunch and they work fine but obviously would love various options and would buy a fair amount.
3) Dark Africa Tribesman - fun but not a huge priority - would be glad to buy a box or two.....

My actual #3 would be non-historical conflicts with French and German colonials - Askari's etc. - would love Legionaires, Spahis, Zouaves, German Marines etc......ah well .................just dreaming ................

All that being said still my main focus is the exceptionally exciting Generic Spanish War of Succession troops - infantry and cavalryand someday artillery......................buying those by the truckload.................but these colonials would be fantastic !!

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Apr 14 10 8:55 AM

HW: John, who do you think those men in red coats were, half of the time?
Do you have any idea what proportion of any English county, or Scots regiment was made up of Irishmen? Somewhere between a third and a half in many cases.

-howardwhitehouse

You have me there Howard, but I can still dream ;-P

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

May 19 10 2:27 PM

I know this is slightly off the poll topic since it would not utilize the existing british figures, but I really want a NAP or American Revolution line. I know there are others out there (though I'm not sure if there are any 28mm plastics to be had)...

Get there first with the most.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

May 20 10 6:21 AM

Pathans/Northwest Frontier.  There was *always* a rebellion, a bandit raid, a mullah declaring himself the second coming.  Like Boxer rebels, you can never have enough Pathans...

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

May 20 10 6:36 AM

Pathans/Northwest Frontier.  There was *always* a rebellion, a bandit raid, a mullah declaring himself the second coming.  Like Boxer rebels, you can never have enough Pathans...[image]

-luoshangzhi

To what extent has the NW frontier wardrobe changed between 1880 and 2010?  Would a sprue with AK-47s, RPGs, and cell phones 'Sprues" NW frontier figures up for the modern era?

HW: John, who do you think those men in red coats were, half of the time?Do you have any idea what proportion of any English county, or Scots regiment was made up of Irishmen? Somewhere between a third and a half in many cases.

-howardwhitehouse

"Twas England bade our wild geese go."
No wonder Wellesley didn't like his troops so much. 

Empire Enemies ranking - for me:1) Boers by a long shot - both for Boer war and MANY useful conversions.2) Indian Rebellion - I've already converted a bunch and they work fine but obviously would love various options and would buy a fair amount.3) Dark Africa Tribesman - fun but not a huge priority - would be glad to buy a box or two.....My actual #3 would be non-historical conflicts with French and German colonials - Askari's etc. - would love Legionaires, Spahis, Zouaves, German Marines etc......ah well .................just dreaming ................All that being said still my main focus is the exceptionally exciting Generic Spanish War of Succession troops - infantry and cavalryand someday artillery......................buying those by the truckload.................but these colonials would be fantastic !!

-filecloser

Remember, with Boxers you're talking Germans, Russians, USMC, and Japanese, oh my... all looking over each other's shoulders to ensure that nobody was too enthusiastic about pacifying any particular piece of China. 

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

May 21 10 4:33 AM

Personally speaking, any of the Empire's enemies would be great.  I don't do English troops, but if given the chance to paint up armies of their enemies, I'll jump at that!  Mowing down an English army on a game table would make me so happy! ;-P  (Yes my Irish is showing)
John

-jjdiffley

BRITISH not English - most of the army was made up of Scots and Iish - and I thought you were American? wink

Pathans/Northwest Frontier.  There was *always* a rebellion, a bandit raid, a mullah declaring himself the second coming.  Like Boxer rebels, you can never have enough Pathans...[image]

-luoshangzhi

Too true...!!!

Which in itself should spawn a metal set of Flashman running away through the ages

Although on the subject of Boers, nice video from History in Action

Without so much as a damn your eyes www.16ld.org

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help