Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 19 09 10:47 PM

Tags : :

Hello, I'm a old gamer in exile. Been out of the hobby for over 15 years. Ancient Wargaming in 28mm is my main focus. I have seen the incredible pictures of the fine painted WF figures in this site, and am scratching my head out how I should base my figures.

Plastic is very light, so what should I base them on, and should I use some kind of magnet under the bases to keep them from moving around on a tray. What kind of tray should I use? I have played DBA and big battle DBA, and am leaning toward making some really mass battles. I like my figures to be able to be used in different ways, skirmishing, small tactics battles, and in big battles so I want something to will work in such a manner.

So, small round bases seem the way to go. But, with special trays to drop them onto for different games. What do you guys use, and is there anything like what I'm talking about out there. I'm quite clueless about this, since all my old figures are on card.

Once I figure this out and get the supplies I'll need, then I'll get busy on ordering the Celtic Plastics an the Caesarian Legionari. Along with some others for good measure. My focus will be on the Celtic and Roman Civil Wars of the 1st Century BCE.

Thanks in advance for any tips, tricks, or information on basing and movement trays.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 20 09 1:09 AM

Here are some basing ideas from my collection.

These WF Romans are based on 20mm steel washers and then in customised Litko movement trays
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31905569@N05/3589618300/sizes/l/

Roman artillery based on CDs, mini CDs and GW 60mm circles.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31905569@N05/3588832869/sizes/l/

These Gorgon Spartans have the Holpites on 20mm steel washers and the skirmishers on 25mm GW style slottabases.  Both are in custom litko movement trays.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31905569@N05/3589618712/sizes/l/

Similar here for WF Celts.  Here some of the 25mm trays are from the GW WOTR range
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31905569@N05/3518741031/sizes/l/

These WF zulus are on 25mm GW style slottabases.  Some are in custom litko movement trays, others in GW WOTR trays.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31905569@N05/3859124453/sizes/l/

These are WF Zulu War British with Black-tree officers and artilery.  All are on 20mm steel washers.  The artillery crews are removable.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31905569@N05/3589618434/sizes/l/

If you go for 20mm square bases, you can easily put them into movement trays.  Litko and GW offer kits.
http://www.litkoaero.com/GMTXXX.php
My 20mm movement trays are similar to these Litko Rank Trays but 2 ranks of 4 x 20mm
http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/JIMSLAB

Regards
Mick

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Dec 20 09 2:24 AM

Gale Force 9 also provides a similiar service I've recently used them and their International Shipping is fast and efficient just spec the size you want and you'll get them!  

"True but when you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power." Sam Starfall from Freefall freefall.purrsia.com/default.htm

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Dec 20 09 3:07 PM

Litko is a good idea. My opponents and I started with GW's movement trays AND 20 by 20mm bases for foot with 25 by 50mm for cav. We still use them.

Because we are using square and rectangle shaped bases with magnets on the minie base bottoms we can cut corners/save money on movement trays. It's possible to use bulsa or bass wood cut to fit. That can save money on not needing to buy pre-made movement trays.

Um.....most important.....Do try to find out how your future opponents mount their minies. Matching up to your opponent's system of basing is VERY important.wink

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Dec 20 09 3:54 PM

Thanks for the replies, they have been very helpful. Sadly, I truely am the GamerinExile. I know of no one that plays Ancient games in my area. I'm sure there might be a couple, but I do not know them.

Best I have been able to find is the list of conventions and clubs from HMGS Great Lakes Chapter. I'll attempt to reach someone at one of the Conventions in the Spring. FYI: I'm in the Southern Ohio, Northern Kentucky area.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 20 09 9:19 PM

My own figures are based on steel bases - washers for infantry, rectangular bases for cavalry and chariots.

Then I use very simple whole-unit movement trays made of  foamcore with a magnetic sheet on top. I lightly spray the magnetic sheet a mottled green/brown, which doesn't affect the magnetic effect.

H

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Dec 20 09 10:18 PM

I think you're on the right track with HMGSGL. They've also got a Yahoo Group here:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/HMGSGL

Not sure what part of the southern half of the state you're in -- I'm at the opposite end, in the north -- but I'm pretty sure there's at least some ancients guys in the western area, around Dayton & Cincinnati.

Good luck!

Wargames & Painting Blog: zerotwentythree.blogspot.com/

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Dec 28 09 11:03 PM

I've got a similar problem being new to the hobby.  I have a royal crapload of mini's. no bases, and no experience.  Which is better plywood or plastic?  And where can I find a lot of them on the cheap?

Also, what's the cheapest figure transport/storage on the market?

"I'm not dumb, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information" -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Dec 28 09 11:10 PM

I've got a similar problem being new to the hobby.  I have a royal crapload of mini's. no bases, and no experience.  Which is better plywood or plastic?  And where can I find a lot of them on the cheap?
Also, what's the cheapest figure transport/storage on the market?

-stonewall115

what bases you looking for?

Where is his will needed?

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Dec 29 09 12:43 AM

what bases you looking for?

-kenshin620

Generic 20mm or 25mm square and round, I guess.  Also, a dozen rectangular for cavalry

"I'm not dumb, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information" -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Dec 29 09 8:28 AM

I am a big fan of steel washers, myself. Cheap, convenient, available at your hardware store (buy the boxes of 100, they are much cheaper than singles).

I use fender washers, which have a smaller hole than the standad 'flat washer'. I use 3/4" diameter for my Romans, 7/8' or 1" for more dynamic poses like my Celts and Germans. (note - sometimes washers are categorized by the size of the hole, which may confuse)

You can use larger washers for cavalry bases, although I use rectangular bases from a company called Wargames Accessories out of Florida.

I use larger movement trays of foamcore with  magnetic sheet glued on top, and lightly sprayed green/brown. The washers adhere very well, so my 12" x 4" Celt warbands can be moved as one lumbering mass.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Dec 29 09 5:50 PM

I had been using plastic 20mm square for foot and 25 by 50mm for cav. Recently, I bought and am now using 20mm square for foot and 25 by 50mm for cav......wooden bases.

Litko Areosystems has wooden bases (I like them). Litko also has magnets and flex steel inserts (for movement trays). The site has a fair amount of helpful info too.

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#12 [url]

Sep 16 11 12:17 AM

FLOCKING Suggestions Please.

I mentioned in an earlier post that due to time constraints, I have been more concerned with the actual painting than 'detailing' the base itself, as I rarely game. As a rule however, I would paint the plastic base green and perhaps a dry brush or two of various other greens so not too look 'mass produced' as it were.

I have seen some REALLY great work done with WF Roman, Celts,.. ok pretty much some of all, especially the more recent WSS line.
It seems a mixture of about 50/50 "fine grade grass and earth" gives the look I want.

SO.. I'd like to know, what "formula's" do you guys find works best for you, to apply before flocking the bases? 
To seal this.. I figure just a couple of coats of the matt finish Im going to use to protect the mniature anyway, will be enough.

Opinions please...

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Sep 16 11 12:15 PM

Here is my typical base:

Cover the base with a slightly diluted layer of Elmers Wood Filler, using a popsicle stick to spread then to create some texture waves.  I then glue the miniatures on with Elmer's White Glue, spreading some of the filler over the mini's base.  I find this gives a solid hold without being superglue strong.  Set it aside to dry.  When dry I paint on dilute Elmer's Glue and give it a quick dip in a container of flocking material.  Then I put a few spots of straight white glue and stick on lichen and sponge material.  When dry I give the whole base a coat of Dullcote.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Sep 16 11 12:19 PM

Well the forum does not like my posts with pictures so I will just give you the narrative.

I cover the base with a dilute layer of Elmer's Wood filler, using a popsicle stick to spread and pick out some texture.  I then glue the miniatures on with Elmer's white glue, pushing some of the filler onto the mini to add extra stick.  This gives a firm hold without being superglue strong.  When dry I paint on dilute white glue and dip in to the flock.  Then using spots of straight white glue I stick on lichen and sponge extras.  When dry the whole base gets a shot of Dullcote.

You can see some samples here: http://www.joxash.org/gallery/details.php?image_id=318

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 16 11 11:17 PM

You should really spend that extra bit of time on the base, it makes all the difference to the quaklity of the paint job.  An excellent paintjob on the model will look no where near as good with a shoddy base. 
Before painting the model I cover the base with wood glue and sand.  The sand is undercoated with the model, painted black, drybrushed dark brown and then a lighter brown.  Splotches of green flock are then added to this.  If you ship the sand bit then painting it a very dark green before flocking might be ok.  There is no need to seal the grass, it won't come out of wood glue at all.

Dave

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#16 [url]

Sep 17 11 12:38 AM

Thanks guys..  I appreciate the tips and information.

A number of other gamers and 'terrain makers' have told me they also use a watered down simple white glue before adding the flock or sand to their bases. After allowing to dry, some either use an even "thinner" glue/water mix as a sealer. Saying this allows the 'sealer' to seep into the cracks and seams of the troops and other base fixtures. That or like myself, choose a couple of coats of dullcote to seal the piece.

*Wacojoe, I checked the gallery link you posted. You have some really great pics there and I can see what you and *Hithero were talking about, in your way of basing.

Other opinions and options welcome please...

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Sep 17 11 1:40 PM

The way I look at it is that sometimes I want to work on my miniatures but the painting muse just isn't cooperating.  That is usually when I turn to prep work, priming or basing.  It makes for a welcome change of pace.

But always remember it is your hobby.  Do what makes you happy.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#18 [url]

Dec 7 11 6:47 AM

Basing the Zulu's
I just recently recieved my first (but hardly my last) WF shipment. Zulu's. I 'test fitted' them to some old 20mm round bases I have left over. Though the 'molded on base' is small, some practically push to the very edge of the base.

I would like to ask:
Does anyone know if Litko, or another company makes similar 'precut/ molded' trays to fit 25mm square based figures?

As both the British & Zulu's are in multiples of 5 (20 and 30 respectfully), I had wanted to use 2, 5 x 2 trays to form units of 20 figures each.
Barring any new info, it would seem my best bet was my first plan. That is, 25mm GW square bases and then just make my own trays and perhaps a "match stick" to space the front and rear rank, so the rifles /spears dont 'jam' into the back of the fellow in front.

Thoughts and suggestions please. Thank you.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Dec 7 11 3:04 PM

Jack,

Litko does indeed have muti-figure tray bases designed for 25mm circles (actually up to an even 1", so about 25.5-26mm). They even have them in "even ranks" for your Brits and in "horde trays" for your Zulu's. However, they can get a bit "pricey". See them here and here.

Another popular alternative is to base the figures on 1" square or round bases (either card with Litko's metal film on the bottom or steel from Wargames Accessories), then make an appropriate movement tray out of relatively inexpensive foamcore board trimmed with a thin balsa or basswood "rim" and cover this with self-adhesive magnetic sheet. Your figures stay in place but can still be easily removed for skirmishing or casualty removal. You can even spray the magnetic sheet with flat green, brown or tan "camo" paint so that your bases blend in.

Two proponents of this method who also have excellent blogs are Jim "Der Alte Fritz" Purky and Bill Protz (who wrote the "Batailles de l'Ancien RĂ©gime" rules used by both of them). You can see these bases "in action" on their blogs here:

Jim "Der Alte Fritz" blog

Bill Protz "Campaigns in Germania" blog

You can also find Bill's rules here, which (while written with the SYW in mind) will work for the WSS.

Regards;

Bill Sir William the Aged www.warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#20 [url]

Dec 7 11 6:13 PM

Bill thanks for the time and information.

I have looked into Litko and think many will agree its a Great gamers resource for markers, stands, etc, as well as a wide variety of movement trays. I also have to agree that some of their trays can be on the expensive side.
I have considered the "horde" tray, but personally I think it looks just a bit "too" disorganized for my way of thinking about the Zulu (I may need more reading on that).
I think I will go with the 5 man front certainly for the Brits  (european rank n file tradition).. and 'study' a bit more or what to do with the Zulu units.

I appreciate the links to the Blogs and be assured I will be reading over them.
Thanks again.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help