Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 25 10 7:22 AM

Tags : :

A pack wolves. both the size of normal wolves for 28mm and giant size wolves that can take a rider. There is a lack of such models. And dynamic poses at full speed with mouths ajar would be nice as well...

any thoughts?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 25 10 2:41 PM

dunno why anyone would need an army of wolves. I rarely see anyone with more than 12 wolves in most games I see, easily doable with GW or some other companies wolves. Now lions, I could use that!

Where is his will needed?

Quote    Reply   

superstar

#2 [url]

Feb 25 10 3:58 PM

For me, it's not so much "wolves" as "werewolves" or other furred family members.  The big (horse-sized or so) wolf would work very well for the hispo/"Dire Wolf" form of WW games, function as a Dire Wolf for D&D (although they already have those in prepainted plastic), and would work for an "American Werewolf in London" style lycanthrope (as with the WW werewolf).

If you could make frames like for the horses I would probably go blind with excitement.

Oh, and it'll sub for GW stuff.

That's like hypnotizing chickens...

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 26 10 1:15 AM

well no one has any use for armies of wolves because the ones out there are either ugly or expensive. gws plastic ones are pretty expensive for what you get...

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 9 10 2:43 PM

I need wolves, big ones for my War of the Ring Angband army.  However metal wolf minis are plentiful, and in some cases quite cheap.  I don't know if the plastics would sell all that well.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." - Robert E. Howard

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 21 10 2:57 PM

I need wolves, wolves big like horses or bears, with poseability, ready to be used as mounts. And there is need for 2000 hundred of those sprues around. Maybe that is why a lot of small companies are building sets of five diferent looking wolves and selling them like water, even with prices over the reasonable for 1 plastic giant wolf.

Here is my bet: one sprue. Body just like regular cavalry, divided in half, without any legs. 2 options for each of the 4 legs, one curved, the other straight. 2 options for the head, one with jaws closed, the other a 2 part piece for open jawed. If there is enought space, options for 2 "clawing" front legs, one for each side. If there is still enough space, one set for riders.

What you think about it? If they are sold for less than 10 U$ each, then you will gain money...

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Dec 24 10 5:54 AM

Some ideias on the sprue...

The core body is divided in two parts. 2 Head options are showed, one 2 part for open jaws (top one) the other for jaws closed. There is 2 options for boot hinder legs (the big ones, curved and not curved). And 2 options for frontal legs (two "normal" and one rized up showing the claws). To finish it one steed. The sprue could be filled with extra bits if there is space.

Thats my ideia on it, its good?

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Dec 24 10 10:34 AM

That is too large a sprue.  All new items will be done using WF"s new mini sprue system, so I'd make the legs into three sprues (allows for an extra leg) of three legs each, body as two sprues (allows for two body types), one head sprue of four heads, one tail sprue of four tails, and an accessory sprue for the saddle, saddle bags and the saddle and bridel tack.

Then you have a nice submission done the way Tony wants.

BTW, nice drawings!  As an artist I always envy those who can draw.  I can paint beautiful landscapes and great miniatures, but couldn't draw a straight line with a straight edge as a guid :-/

John

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Dec 24 10 11:04 AM

Not the way Tony and Tim have it set up, at least that is what Tony has told us, and they'd be the ones in the know.  The whole idea is to sell them both as a complete set and as single mini sprues for "bits".  Their plan appears to have the costs worked out so that they will turn a profit, so I am not second guessing them as they co-own WF.

John

Quote    Reply   

superstar

#10 [url]

Dec 24 10 2:09 PM

For something like this, I would actually think that copying the existing horse frames would be best.  Each beast is done as a left half, right half, tail and head.  There are enough parts on the frame to create multiple animals and some extra heads (jaw open, jaw closed, tongue lolling, etc.).  I would do that as a base and then make a set of "tack" frames that could be added on or left off as desired.

Now you have "wild" or "tame" wolves!

Surely having multiple sprue molds for 1 basic model would increase production costs several times over when 1 sprue would suffice.

-hitherto

The plastic isn't the real cost here.  The real cost is in making the mold.  It costs a LOT to mill out a stainless steel blank (although other options such as aluminum exist, they are less durable) and significantly less to get the plastic.  If there isn't a great deal of duplication of parts, then it makes less sense to make mini-sprues.

Take the Shock Trooper frame as an example.  There are three identical rifle arms, three identical left arms, two identical "other" rifles, three identical blast shield heads, three identical gas mask heads, and four(!?) identical mutant heads.  By cutting the frame into "parts" it would be possible to increase the amount of goodies, but because you're only making one actual rifle "piece" you end up cutting down on the amount of milling possibly by 1/2!

For historic figures where you have many like poses (at least in traditional metals) if you assume that you could get three figures on a frame, you could cut the milling cost by up to 2/3 for rank and file figures.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Dec 25 10 5:57 PM

My ideia with that was to create one sprue wich could be used to build a lot of diferente wolves...

If that is not possible (or if small sprues are prefered) i could have more ideias (lots of it :D).

How much small sprues i can use? And wich is the exatly size of small sprues?

Quote    Reply   

superstar

#12 [url]

Dec 25 10 8:50 PM

I follow, I am pretty sure, your idea.  And it's not a bad one.  It is a bit on the inefficient side of things, though, and there would be many seams for an inexperienced modeler to hide.

But if you follow that example (which is the ancient's horse sprue), you will still have three distinct wolves and four heads.  That creates twelve distinct individuals IF you assume that the right and left halves won't be able to be mixed and matched.  That is a very good start for a pretty large pack and would only result in the waste of one head per sprue and possibly any tack (if you want wild wolves).

If the left and right halves can be mixed and matched, then one sprue could easily generate 36 unique (although similar) variations.  Enough for a very large pack.

How much small sprues i can use? And wich is the exatly size of small sprues?

-son_of_gomork

The mini-sprues do not, so far as I know, have any set size limitations--only what is necessary and appropriate to handle the task at hand.  It's more a matter of part duplication...the more parts are duplicated, the more efficient it is to use the mini-sprues.

Quote    Reply   

superstar

#14 [url]

Dec 31 10 3:28 PM

RIDE an oversized homicidal [were]wolf?

Heavens no.  One does not ride a highly intelligent killing machine, one merely supplies suppressive fire allowing them time to eat...err..."charge" the enemy.

Man, I so want to make my werewolf army.  It's not fair. I wants it.  I wants it now!

Time for my pills already?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help