Remove this ad

#21 [url]

May 3 10 9:39 PM

Concerning Spartacaus:
As the revolt originated at the Ludus un Capua, of course there were a few Gladiators involved but no more then 30 in the whole army I guess.
Also these were republican Gladiators, so they might actually have found some of their gear still usefull on the battlefield.
Two Provocators and a Murmillo:

Two Eques:

Eques:

Provocatores or Essedarii:

But yes, most of them will have switched to looted gear when it became available.

Am I the only one that cheered on those RDA Troopers while they whiped the floor with these wannabe Kroot called Na'Vi?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

May 3 10 9:52 PM

But yes, most of them will have switched to looted gear when it became available.

-omega

We shouldn't shout this too loudly as then people won't want lots of this sprue!  devil

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

May 3 10 11:25 PM

By using Omega's list I've come up with another concept spruewhich needs to have enough bits to provide for the 5 bodies on the zulu body sprue:
Heads:
2 Bare Heads (Perhaps one of the WF specials in here?  A) Kirk Douglas chin?  B) Mutant Gladiator? C) Laurel wreath?)
1. Murmillo Helmet (Type Pompeji with angular grates and sweeping brim)
1. Thraex Helmet (Type Chieti with round eyes and straight brim) - can be converted into Hoplomachus by snipping of the Griffon head at the front.
1. Secutor Helmet - can be converted into a Essedarius by removing the sicle crest
1. Provocator Helmet

Armour
one short greave (going to just under the knee for the Murmillo/Secutor
one pair of mid-thigh high greaves for the Thraex/Hoplomachus.
one mid sized greave that just goes up to cover the knee. Provocator
1 armored left arm needs with shoulder guard
3 armoured right arms (one with shoulder guard)
one  "clip on" breastshield for Provocator
one rectangular scutum for the Murmillo/Secutor,
one rectangular curved Parmula for the Thraex and
one round, maybe even semihemispherical Parmula for the Hoplomachus.
on shorter Provocators scutum

weapons:
2 short swords for the Murmillo/Secutor and as the Hoplomachus secondary
1 dagger for the Provocator or as the Retiarius secondary
1 angled/bent Sica for the Thraex
1 trident and net for the Retiarius
1 Spear for the Hoplomachus, that can also be shortened as a Javelin

Now to get along and do a picture!

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

May 3 10 11:34 PM

Something along these lines?

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

May 4 10 1:27 AM

Another question - would the zulu body sprue or the ancient body sprue work best for gladiator bodies?

-lachlan

my intent was to use both for variety.

similar to the idea that it is "too cool" to pass up arena ready gladiators for a slave revolt, the question is "what are you trying to represent?"  if you are trying for physical representational accuracy, that's cool, but it really ends somewhere (most people have a couple dozen actual skin tones, are you putting all the calluses on the right places, different calluses for swordsmen and spearmen, etc.).

for my revolting armies :), i usually like to have civilians modeled, even if they might have captured arms.  having a shepherd modeled is a good visual cue in battle that this guy is not a trained warrior.  likewise, having slaves in arena gear is a good visual cue on who is going to plow through others in hand to hand, whether they are fully decked out or not.

so back to gladiators proper, i think representing the variety of the owners' and fighters' backgrounds is key.  we do have a lot of visual records from the past about how they "should" look, but why should we believe the ancients were any more above memes than we are?

with great power comes great irresponsibility.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jun 17 10 11:26 PM

Like many of the photographs here and the equipment/head sprue is a good concept. Hopefully the Gladiators will see the production line in some shape or form as the would not only appeal to wargamers, but also fantasy table top players aswell.
I give it the thumbs up!!!!!!

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Jun 18 10 1:31 AM

Gladiators need your support!  :)  Reading your comment made me suddenly think...  what about converting them into scifi gladiators as well?  devil

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jun 18 10 3:47 AM

Gladiators need your support!  :)  Reading your comment made me suddenly think...  what about converting them into scifi gladiators as well?  [image]

-lachlan

well, i finished my last set of unpainted minis last night, so i ordered more.  i have zulus coming to make red men of mars (warriors; numidians will be civilians) to fight with my wf zulu green men of mars.  this should include a cadre of scifi gladiators ... i intend to use numidian hemed heads on them, but i need to come up with some type of bauble to put on the helm.  i want a small, mass produced piece of whatsit so they look identical ... suggestions?

with great power comes great irresponsibility.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Jun 19 10 3:54 AM

Gladiators need your support!  :)  Reading your comment made me suddenly think...  what about converting them into scifi gladiators as well?

-lachlan

I promise, that's the first thing I thought of. Urban War had their space gladiator faction, but, give me more.

(Mind you, I like keeping it a historical sprue.)

PMMJ

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Jun 25 10 11:24 PM

I like the idea of using Zulus to get some variety for the gladiators, but would WF make just a half-equipment sprue that can't be sold as a gladiator set?

I personnaly would like a gladiator body in the sprue instead of trying to cover every type of greave/shield/equipment (some of which can be easily made using green-stuff). Offcourse I would prefer a set that covered every type of gladiator and piece of equipment, but better one limited gladiator set that sees the light of day than a perfect set that never gets produced.

Would it not be better to have a half-sprue with one or preferably two gladiator bodies/torso's, 4 to 6 heads/helmets and some arms/equipment that allows you to make a couple of different gladiators and could be sold in a set of 20 figures? 

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Jul 6 10 7:46 PM

I thought I'd have a try combining all the elements...  the only way I could fit it all on was to leave the left arms and torsos all attached...  You can see my rough estimation or armour and greaves using the mustard colour. 

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jul 7 10 4:26 PM

I agree kenshin - In the heat of the moment I just could fit them on any other way!  ;)

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Jul 7 10 9:04 PM

There - that's better!

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Oct 16 10 11:16 AM

the armor on a gladiator's arm is called a Manica
i heard that it was sometimes also used by some veterans
in the roman legion

i also find a manica more confortable to wear then regular
medieval arm armor during LARPing eventsgrin

Moooogheeeee !!!

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Oct 19 11 6:18 AM

I really wish these make it to the workbench.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help