Remove this ad

Lead

May 26 10 7:22 PM

Tags : :

I'm not sure if anyone else has put these two things together but, looking at the 19th century Brits right after looking at the zombie hordes, inspiration struck. RAGE Zombies (of 28 Days Later fame) would probably be more in keeping with the spirit of the Zulu conflict but even the slow-moving, brain-munching variety of Zombies might be an interesting twist for a gaming table. Makes me wish there was a alternate set of Zombies that were in timeless attire since I can't have zombies with business suits and sneakers attacking my British Square...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 26 10 11:13 PM

Fun idea - you know I thi9nk it you ust shaved off a pcoket or two from the zombies and made them REAL dirty (bath in devlin mud kind of thing) I think WF zombies could do the duty in any era!

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 27 10 4:07 AM

Since the British were real and zombies are fantasy, of course not, because the two didn't encounter each other.

Beyond that it could depend on things like ... the game rules, whether or not folks play the rules in the same fashion, the number of miniatures used on the table top for either side, and any number of other items that are variable in nature.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 27 10 4:39 AM

while it didn't become the norm for neckwear until post-wwi, the four-in-hand style tie dates back to the beginnings of the industrial revolution as a piece of slightly more practical neckwear for the up and coming bourgiousie.  basically, if you have steam trains, a four-in-hand is not technically an anachronism (even if it isn't favored).

X( ... er ... uhm ... i know this because my wife has a degree in theater .. no, really ...

the sneakers can probably be hidden with your paint job.  i don't think there's a nike swoosh to shave off ...

* break *

i think the key to making your game mechanism fun is what it takes to kill a zombie.  for example, if it's a head shot, which is pretty tough with the weapons at hand, you don't need a big horde of zombies to break the square.

if non-fatal shots slow the zombies movement (by blasting away parts needed for balance/locomotion), then you can get a nice dynamic of "hit and flee" tactics where the brits have to let the zombies get close in order to stop them, then have to reposition before they are overcome.  this mechanic becomes more fun if you have wounded or civvies to protect.

another possible mechanic is to limit zombies to movement toward a victim in line of sight (or straight ahead in the absence of a los target).  the mindless undead just aren't good at flanking.  in that case "hide and seek" becomes viable against a large horde.  as well as baiting them into an ambush (remember, they gotta be real close before you can let loose the ambush).

again, with civvies, you might want to have them paralyzed with fear (unable to move) if the zeds have clear line of fire to them.  this will require the brit player to split his actions between attacking the zombies and manuevering the civvies as well.

hope this helps.

with great power comes great irresponsibility.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 27 10 7:58 AM

Sagh - thanks for indulging me with such a thoughtful reply! I was half-joking when I posted this idea last night but your response has made me think it really could be a fun "mismatch" game. Our group has one night a year (in October) when we try something totally out of the box - it's my turn this year to come up with the idea and "Brits v. Zombies" might really fit the bill.

To Gamespoet's point, there may be some challenges in adapting a rule set that would combine 19c brits with zombie/horror rules (especially when dealing with matters of morale and fright checks) but I like the idea enough to explore it a bit.

Adding in civvis, wounded comrads or some other immovable objective that must be defended offers the Brits their motivation while limiting Zombie tactics and allowing the Brits some cover/ambush possibilities could really add some interest!

Get there first with the most.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 28 10 2:13 AM

Since the British were real and zombies are fantasy, of course not, because the two didn't encounter each other.

-gamespoet

Get out of this forum!  LOL!

Actually the stocks worn by british troops during the napoleonic wars would have been very useful against vampire & zombie neck bites!  wink

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 28 10 6:13 AM

Would totally depend on how fast they could get those things reloaded, because there will be a target-rich environment. And my bet would be "not fast enough."

PMMJ

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 28 10 11:40 AM

Speed of attackers versus speed of reloading could really keep everyone on their toes - you could even play a "limited ammo" scenario to make a real nail-biter. The more I think about this, the more excited I am to try it out.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

xeno

superstar

#8 [url]

May 28 10 12:45 PM

Give the British side a limited supply of ammo counters. As long as they have one ammo counter left the British can still fire (assume they are pacing their shots), but the coutners can be spent in increase fire volume for more effect. When the last ammo counter is gone, the Brits are reduced to hand-to-hand combat, a.k.a. zombie food!

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 28 10 4:45 PM

Oh, we got it - just chose to ignore it.

Xeno, I like the idea of counters. Depending on the rules being adapted, it could also be a fixed number of shots for each unit OR, you could add a slight randomness by stating up front that every unit has "at least" x number of fire phases worth of ammo after which a die is rolled during each fire phase to determine whether that unit has run out of ammo.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Jun 13 10 1:30 AM

I'd say in formation they'd have a good chance unfortunately Zombies tended to attack at night causing havoc and hideous casualties before the formation is formed. An attack on the camp style scenario would work well for this.

"True but when you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power." Sam Starfall from Freefall freefall.purrsia.com/default.htm

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jun 13 10 8:17 AM

I agree, Llamahead, about the attack "tactics" of the zombies, but even a day attack would likely see the Square formation fail.  We're talking Empire era British, so keep in mind they are still using rifles that do not hold much ammo along with bayonets.  If using the most common concept of a Zombie, only a head shot takes them down, so wounding one does nothing to stop it.  Stabbing those that get to the square just allows the zombie to grab the rifle and pull the soldier toward itself (and we know that usually end badly for the living).  Plus any soldiers wounded or killed by the zombies usually will end up as zombies (again, if we use today's most common concepts of zombies), so I'd have to say any group of soldiers surrounded by zombies during that period, regardless of the formation, would end up eaten or more zombies.

Now if you use the old concept of slow zombies, and shotting them enough that they fall apart, then yes, the square would hold (unless they run out of ammo before the zombie horde runs out of zombies)

John

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jul 29 10 1:43 PM

Now if you use the old concept of slow zombies, and shotting them enough that they fall apart, then yes, the square would hold (unless they run out of ammo before the zombie horde runs out of zombies)
John

-jjdiffley

And as we all know this is what always happens in the movies.  And if you are worried about the historical look of the zombies I just saw some of the WIP pics from Mantic Games' zombie set and they seem to possibly could work for zombie Zulus with a little work.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help