Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 18 10 3:01 PM

Tags : :

As you know, we decided to go a bit more "heroic" in size for the SF line. We've been debating this and I thought it would be interesting to get your feedback. If we ever take a plunge into Fantasy - should we go with the "true" 28mm size (ala our Historicals and fantasy like Mantic) - or go with the more heroic size of GW, Privateer, etc?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 18 10 4:04 PM

Hmmm...for Fantasy RPGs I like Reaper's size (which is pretty close to GW), but having seen Mantic's new Undead, Elves and Dwarves, I like their sizing much better for wargaming, and they seem to match the LotR (GW) line in terms of size and thickness.  So if you plan on box sets to be used for wargaming, thumb your noses at GW and go with the Mantic style!  Give the people a choice with inexpensive, yet utterly great looking miniatures, and they will buy them.  GW Warhammer is up on a pedestal, but the base of that pedesstal is a very narrow one.  A one-two punch from Mantic and WF could easily send them toppling over.  And that is something I would love to see!

John

Quote    Reply   

xeno

superstar

#3 [url]

Jun 18 10 10:59 PM

I'd like something compatible with the Shock Troopers, scale-wise (meaning, I guess, little "heroic"). Having experimented with conversions for my cyber-zombies, I really, really had fun and would love to be able to easily cannibilize the sets for each other.

However, until I get my shock troopers and start playing, I won't really know how the realistic and heroic mesh with each other.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 18 10 11:46 PM

Mixing-and-matching brands, I tend to want some level of uniformity, and for the mainstay, the bulk of fantasy miniatures are heroic. I have much old GW and I loathe their stuff of the last 2 or 3 years because it looks weedy next to the old (think Khemri / old Vampire Counts skeletons next to new VC skeletons). Putting true proportion stuff next to that would look even weedier, unfortunately.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jun 19 10 12:02 AM

I think that the standard Wargames Factory size will work well.  The styling will be "realistic" rather than "cartoon" so they should match other realistic fantasy ranges. 

With realistic fantasy, most ranges are already similar (or even a little smaller) than the size of WF historicals.   The GW LOTR plastics are very slightly smaller and the GW LOTR metals are the same size.  I think Mantic are also about this size.  Hasslefree are quite small.

The cartoony stuff is larger - e.g. GW Warhammer.
Mick

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 19 10 12:12 AM

I would think that having a possible fantasy range being size-wise compatible with the historical range could be an advantage, since it could encourage the customer to mix and match them with the historical range.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jun 19 10 3:43 AM

I would think that having a possible fantasy range being size-wise compatible with the historical range could be an advantage, since it could encourage the customer to mix and match them with the historical range.

-griefbringer

Totally. You're never going to really match anyone else; there's a scale creep at Reaper, Privateer, and all the other big names also. So go with what you've already got.

PMMJ

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jun 19 10 7:14 AM

Of course with non-humans there are no standardised sizes, but they can vary per setting. For example, in Middle-Earth elves are tall and orcs are short, where as in Glorantha elves are short and in Warhammer world orcs are tall and bulky. So you have quite some freedom in choosing how you want them to look like.

However, since most of the WF historical miniatures are perfectly useable for humans on a fantasy setting (or possibly even for other purposes with head swaps and conversions), it would be a pity if a possible fantasy range would not be compatible with those. Also, from a customer point of view it is most convenient when a given manufacturers models are consistently sized across the range, instead of being all over the place.

Size gets more important with fantasy humans (amazons, atlanteans), creatures that are partly human (centaurs), creatures that are man-sized (satyrs), or sets where you want to be able to re-use some of the existing sprues (eg. horses for cavalry).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jun 19 10 11:08 AM

Great point, Grief. I was thinking along the same lines but you said it far better than me. I think there are infinite possibilities and rationalizations for taller/shorter troops in a Sci-fi or Fantasy real (Shock Troopers may have been genetically enhanced or simple selected for height) - I would just suggest the "average" human scale to be equal to the other WF minis to allow for maximum swapping of bits...

Get there first with the most.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jun 19 10 11:32 AM

Totally. You're never going to really match anyone else; there's a scale creep at Reaper, Privateer, and all the other big names also. So go with what you've already got.

-pmmj

yet another vote for making them compatible with your existing lines.  and a hearty concur with pmmj ... the only thing you will be able to truly match is your own line.

with great power comes great irresponsibility.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jun 21 10 2:18 PM

Yeah - I would stay with what you are doing now - that way the ranges can be used together.

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jun 21 10 4:52 PM

I can see the reasons for making the fantasy line compatible with the historicals, and yet are the Shock Troops compatible with the historicals?

Also, the Shock Troops seem to be compatible with GW's Imperial Guard.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jun 24 10 10:31 AM

Cool ... got an answer from Howard over on another thread regarding compatibility of WF Historicals vs. WF Shock Troop ... they're not completely compatible.

With that in mind, I'm not sure that fantasy figures by WF needs to be compatible with historicals either.  If they are more a mid way point between the two, then I suspect the fantasy figures could be compatible with either in a pinch, and thus the historicals might work better with the fantasy than the sci-fi.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jun 24 10 11:23 AM

Cool ... got an answer from Howard over on another thread regarding compatibility of WF Historicals vs. WF Shock Troop ... they're not completely compatible.
With that in mind, I'm not sure that fantasy figures by WF needs to be compatible with historicals either.  If they are more a mid way point between the two, then I suspect the fantasy figures could be compatible with either in a pinch, and thus the historicals might work better with the fantasy than the sci-fi.

-gamespoet

some b*****d child of true scale and heroic?

interesting but doesnt sound too marketable

Where is his will needed?

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jun 24 10 2:21 PM

If they match the size and style of Mantic, would it be marketable then?

-gamespoet

they're a mix of heroic and true scale?

well perhaps then

Where is his will needed?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help