Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jun 25 10 5:43 AM

i would still rather see the fantasy figures compatible with the current lines.  i see a big benefit, and don't see comparison with other lines as a big liability:

benefit:
my guess is that the main attraction to wf fantasy figures would be for large hordes of models.  so, for large hordes of humans, it would be nice to be able to use vikings, saxons, germans, celts, numidians, and even zulus in the mix to augment the variety.  several of those would also make good civilians to allow realistic numbers of townfolk as well as providing lots of options for npcs (if you are rpging vice straight wargaming) at non-heroic figure prices!

liability?:
if you can pretty much mete out all your human requirements (and human-based undead) with the regular wf 28mm scaled guys, is it such a bad thing that, say, your other comapny orcs are between 5-20% bigger than the humans?  even if wf put out a line of orcs, would it be a bad thing if a dozen of your other company orcs were bigger and could act as easily recognizable bosses/leaders for your hundreds of wf orcs (assuming they only sized them 5-10% bigger than humans)?

liability':
there is a problem with the smaller figures, though.  if i use truescale humans, my other company goblins 'n' such get "bigger" which may not work well.  other than dwarves and hobbits (which really need to be chunkier and wf would probably make, anyway), i don't feel it is a heinous compromise.  also, i am kind of a fan of 15mm minis being smaller species for 28mm figures (again, except for dwarves and hobbits) -- you get that big variety and support thing; for example, if i decide my goblins are all asian themed, then i have a wide variety of 15mm options that are visually consistent and yet have noticable differences that can work for having "factions" within the goblins.

with great power comes great irresponsibility.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Jun 25 10 8:11 AM

I'd say match your historical lines.

My first reaction was to go more heroic or in-between, but after thinking about it further, having a fantasy line that was easily usuable with your historicals would be an immediate advantage for WF.  The thing that immediately comes to mind is the older suggestion of orc heads to convert the zulus, or the one of fantasy shields and weapons for the celts and vikings.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Sep 9 10 2:29 PM

I'd like to see them scaled to fit in with the Viking and Saxon sets.  I've been putting those to use with the War of the Ring wargame.  They scale nicely with the larger Lord of the Rings figures GW has been releasing.  Also if they are the same size as the historical figures, that will make customization easier.  Aside from the cost and quality of the newer sets, I love using them to kit bash with other miniature lines.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." - Robert E. Howard

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Sep 11 10 2:14 AM

I believe this may become a part of the points of difference in marketing strategy, having excellent customisation is already there, being hard plastic only is there, being good true scale representation is as viable a point of difference as any. 

The only thing I prefer is that the general size be consistent with existing ranges so mixed units don't look too irregular and cross manufacturer customisation works. Equally a degree of variation in pose, height and body weight I find more visually correct.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Sep 15 10 6:03 PM

So are the historical 'true' 28mm scale, with the 20th century and on 'heroic' 28mm scale?

Fantasy figs are scaled with historicals. 20th Century onward is scaled with SF (about 10% bigger)

-wargamesfactory

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." - Robert E. Howard

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Sep 15 10 6:07 PM

Fantasy figs are scaled with historicals. 20th Century onward is scaled with SF (about 10% bigger)

-wargamesfactory

i can't argue with this ... i seem to be about 10% larger in diameter than i was during the 20th century ...

with great power comes great irresponsibility.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Sep 16 10 2:18 PM

i can't argue with this ... i seem to be about 10% larger in diameter than i was during the 20th century ...

-sagh

Good one

Where is his will needed?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#32 [url]

Sep 16 10 5:02 PM

Ohhhh....don't worry people.....the scale "creep" will go beyond creeping overnight soon, just sooner for some more than others.wink   

Having 21 plus  Centuries minies 10% bigger makes sense.  MAN...my Saxons are looking good.

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#33 [url]

Aug 29 11 12:59 PM

Yea I know, its an old but still interesting conversation so...

Like many.. well more or less "everyone", we know Historical 'has to be' "true" scale, what ever scale your gaming, or its not remotely Historical. 

Some one made the excellent comparison of GW LotR Orcs to their very own WH Orcs.
Its like comparing Peter Jackson's film orcs, to the orcs/goblins in the Rankin & Bass animated Hobbit or their version of The Return of the King.
On the one hand you have (true scale) something you could allow yourself to think, "maybe these really did exist", to that of.. (WH  big and bulky) "Thats pretty good for a cartoon character."

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#34 [url]

May 7 12 1:20 PM

IMHO keep the fantasy models in the same scale of the historicals.. this opens up more opportunity for kitbashing. 

I myself play Kings of War and I am building a human kingdoms army using WF numidians and greek hoplites.

When I first opened my numidians I was at first dissapointed with the size, they looked so tiny (Up to this I was only using GW stuff). However, after building up a unit and putting them up against some GW orcs they looked great.. It made the oversized GW orcs look big and menacing (really wish GW weapons were proportioned better I hate anime supersized weapons), which for me was a good thing. Now I'm hooked on the size.. Love it even.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#35 [url]

May 7 12 6:18 PM

I have to say, all in all I agree with Bryon on the basic idea, "Fantasy & Historical" would be nicer (see I didnt say 'better') if they were basically historical.
But seriously, the Amazons for example (fantasy) being a bit bigger, for "them" it works. After all as I have said before, the very name "Amazon", conjures a picture of a larger than normal woman. So they can game with any of the historicals and it still "looks right".

My main concern however, now that were talking about the Dwarf race, and it seems natural that it wont be long til Elves will begin showing up. Just how is this going to work?
I know the dwarves are of course a fantasy race, just as the orc's, skeletons and the (hope not too distant) elves. But in keeping with the main idea of Byrons comment, IF these were kept more historical or 'true' scale, they would work great with Numidian, Roman, any of your great Anicient's line.

As for the orc's, any 'slightly' bigger issue I can easily accept (with in the concept world of Tolkien) as Orc's are a creature created by the dark lord, so yea.. a bit bigger than your average 'man'.

Well just some thoughts there.  Those are mine.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

May 9 12 2:28 AM

I suspect it may be more a combination of customer taste and matching product in the customer's collection. 

For role playing with I'm happy with the general size of 28mm figs by Reaper, Eureka, Shadowforge and Foundry. I'm also happy to have some GW or Wizkids for larger people and classic Minifigs, Grenadier and RAFM for the smaller people. 

For miniatures gaming mixing "scales" doesn't work too well for me so I have armies of only a single or closely matched few manufacturers figures.

For me the key is being happy with the look and feel of a figure set.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#38 [url]

May 9 12 7:23 AM

For miniatures gaming mixing "scales" doesn't work too well for me so I have armies of only a single or closely matched few manufacturers figures.

-wisefool

Im the same, it has to "look right". The one reason even when I gamed GW Fantasy (love that 'world'), I could not take GW's Orc's 'serious'. The size not so much the issue as they just looked too "cartoonish".
I recall looking at some of the early productions of the dwarves (not just GW). I told one friend, "dude it looks like a 'stump holding an axe. So theres a dwarf in there somewhere, or mother nature is Ticked!"

For me the key is being happy with the look and feel of a figure set.

No Truer Words .... Wisefool 
Thats why IMHO I "think"..  the Amazons would be OK in the slightly larger scale and still play in 'fantasy-historical' games.   Their "Amazons".

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Aug 21 12 5:48 PM

Go for Heroic 28mm!!

It is the scale where by far the vast vast majority of figures is being sold.

For the success of Wargames Factory go where the market is! Then ruthlessly undercut the others' inflated prices with your epically awesome plastic box sets and snare the biggest market share for yourself ;-)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help