Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 4 10 7:26 PM

Tags : :

How to go after this period in hard plastic? What sets would you want to see first?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 4 10 8:22 PM

Continental Militia and British light infantry perhaps?  Gets the skirmish ball rolling...

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 22 10 5:13 PM

If the minies could be painted up for either army it would really help, IMHO.

So far I have seen plenty of metal 15mm troops being used. for the period.  THAT said, I think there is a ;potential need out there for 28mm period minies. Include some Native Americas/Indians for the Hawkeye fans. Then, there must have been wars in Europe at the time as well.wink

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 23 10 6:14 AM

I was thinking along the same lines as yourself as I think if you utilise the envelope pack you can pretty much get away with doing continentals and state troops as well as British hatmen from the same set (with command differences)

Other wars at the same time were being fought in India and the West Indies (again against the French)

But I was thinking about figures with half gaiters - exchange breaches and half gaiters for gaiter-trousers and you should be able to do them for the AWI (both sides) and the Revolutionary wars against France in the 1790's

Without so much as a damn your eyes www.16ld.org

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Sep 25 10 5:52 AM

Would obviously prefer different sets of American Regulars, British Regulars - because there were differences ......... but it could be generic like WoSS.    I think that or those would have to be first so that you could have enemies to fight.

Next I would want American Militia ...then Northern Native Americans, Rangers (who looked very different in most ways from Militia), Light Infantry - short coats, floppy flat brimmed hats, light inf. caps etc., Artillery, Dragoons.  I doubt you would get into units like Lauzon's Legion or Tarleton's but if so it would be fantastic.

So for what it's worth my favorite order - and I would buy many of this line is:

1 - British Regulars
2 - American Regulars ........ or a combined generic set
3 - Militia
4 - Native Americans
5 - Rangers
6 - Light Infantry
7 - Artillery
8 - Dragoons

Then specialty sets - general officers, naval troops, unusual headgear - i.e. South Carolinian half moon style hats .......Tarleton's etc.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 27 10 2:43 AM

[quote:filecloser]Would obviously prefer different sets of American Regulars, British Regulars - because there were differences ......... but it could be generic like WoSS.    I think that or those would have to be first so that you could have enemies to fight.
Next I would want American Militia ...then Northern Native Americans, Rangers (who looked very different in most ways from Militia), Light Infantry - short coats, floppy flat brimmed hats, light inf. caps etc., Artillery, Dragoons.  I doubt you would get into units like Lauzon's Legion or Tarleton's but if so it would be fantastic.
So for what it's worth my favorite order - and I would buy many of this line is:
1 - British Regulars
2 - American Regulars ........ or a combined generic set
3 - Militia
4 - Native Americans
5 - Rangers
6 - Light Infantry
7 - Artillery
8 - Dragoons
Then specialty sets - general officers, naval troops, unusual headgear - i.e. South Carolinian half moon style hats .......Tarleton's etc.

[/quote]
Nice list - I appreciate what you say about the differences. Lace on the facings non withstanding, the only other differences I can think of are breastplates for the british, and kidney shaped tin canteens for the British and whatever was handy for the Continentals.

My point of refference is the FR range for which I used to have about 1000 figures fully painted till fatherhood meant razing some extra capital.

So British

And Continentals

FR used envelope packs for the continentals, and goatskin packs for the British - Personally I would have all with envelope packs. (Or is there a case for no packs if you ditch packs before battle?)
Command is very different of course - too many differences between line officers, drummers, ensigns and NCO's.

I also really like the FR state line militia - two basic bodies - one in uniform coat, one in hunting shirt. Then a wide range of head gear was used - tricorns, cocked hats, slouch hats, roundabouts and light infantry caps, different baggage, from tumperlines (SP?) knapsacks, blanket rolls etc. Really characterfull, and you can turn out a really nice looking unit from the same pose
http://www.frontrank.com/lev4_3_4_2_AWI_Continentals_&_Militia.asp
Nice idea to respectfully draw inspiration from..! grin

Militia has a lot of scope as they have the potential to cover KGW, F&IW as well the AWI if done right. The biggest "tell" that I can think of is 1770/80' waistcoats were generally shorter than the 1740's/50's

Riflemen.
Not something I would think would warrent a set in their own right, but the Perry's have taken the initiative here if you look at their Napoleonic dismounted dragoons, riflemen etc.
The Dragoons are a particularly nicely executed set as you have two bodies, two heads and 3 or 4 arm option on a mini sprue which as well as being including in the boxed sets you can also buy seperately at £1 a shot

The Dragoons are a must of course - especially the 16th, or Queens Light Dragoons. This should of course be a masterpiece of plastic manufacturing allowing for all variations between 1759 and 1815, and they should of course be free to anyone with 16QLD in their title...!!!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Oct 7 10 1:09 PM

Tony, one way would to start at the beginning...do a set of British regulars and militiamen from the lexingting and concord era....then you could add and build the british troops and first 2 builds of the continental army. Basically do it along the time scale of the war, adding guns for bunker hill, cavalry etc...

This would allow people to start small, then build up, as well as allow you time to get the details right while still having releases for some time....and still allow people who already have some to add and flesh out their collections as well.

Just an idea. And I'm at work so I did not read everyone's replies, so sorry if this repeats something someone else said.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Oct 7 10 5:16 PM

I would just ask that a few of the militia have a more warm weather feel like maybe without a coat or shoeless.  This would allow for some nice realism with the campaign in the Carolinas.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Nov 22 10 3:19 PM

Tony, one way would to start at the beginning...do a set of British regulars and militiamen from the lexingting and concord era....then you could add and build the british troops and first 2 builds of the continental army. Basically do it along the time scale of the war, adding guns for bunker hill, cavalry etc...

-bshrode13

Kinda like this idea, especially if it came along with a simple set of rules that could be expanded with each new offering. 

I'd definately be interested in an AWI range from WGF, relatively cheap mini's, smaller armies, etc. 

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Apr 18 11 2:55 AM

I saw the 3 ups for the Perry's new range of AWI plastics on Saturday - they are looking very nice.
They have 1768 regulation British done, continentals and militia planned.

Without so much as a damn your eyes www.16ld.org

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help