Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Sep 17 10 4:43 PM

A Halfling army or two...then the great rebellion might happen. 

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Sep 17 10 6:47 PM

Bows take alot of effort - perhaps crossbows would suit the lazy race - and good for hunting pheasants.

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Sep 17 10 8:23 PM

Bows take alot of effort - perhaps crossbows would suit the lazy race - and good for hunting pheasants.

-lachlan

Then they'll resemble tactically my Sung Chinese analogy even more....... and if they take up rice farming, we're finished....

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Sep 17 10 9:47 PM

The Ashigaru Helmet that you could cook with would make perfect sense!

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Sep 18 10 3:40 AM

> Artillery could be a large slingshot with two "pullers" and a rock loader.

Indeed, with the odd peppersoup pot (or baked procupine) to replace the rock for the more GW inclined halfing armies :-)

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Sep 18 10 4:49 AM

>Bows take alot of effort - perhaps crossbows would suit the lazy race

A race of farmers and gardeners is certainly anything but lazy. They just know to concentrate on the REAL important things of life. And while pheasant hunting with crossbows makes sense, I simply cannot imagine halflings with crossbows. For me they do not connect. Slings and bows somehow feel more righteous.

>HOBBITS!   Drop this 'Halfling' rubbish.

Sorry, but "Hobbit" is a term that for the next couple of years (some 33) will belong to the various companies that administer the copyrights of J.R.R. Tolkien, especially his son Christopher who is very touchy about this world being filled with imaginery that are alien to his fathers ideas and then GW and Mithril who have the right to produce miniatures specifically on this background. While using the term in a debate on Tolkiens world is no problem, the creation of a plastic set that specifically uses Tolkiens Hobbits as background is bound to be ended by lawyers.
So I prefer to keep this debate focussed on ageneric race of shorter humans who are mainly farmers. Just to make it clear why I used this specific term.

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Sep 18 10 8:33 AM

> Artillery could be a large slingshot with two "pullers" and a rock loader.
Indeed, with the odd peppersoup pot (or baked procupine) to replace the rock for the more GW inclined halfing armies :-)

-puster

Why use a baked porcupine when a perfectly good hornet's nest can be had?  I can see our halflings stocking up on a few hornet's nests if they get the alarm soon enough to prepare a reception for that latest mob of marauding orcs...

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Sep 18 10 1:03 PM

>Bows take alot of effort - perhaps crossbows would suit the lazy race
A race of farmers and gardeners is certainly anything but lazy. They just know to concentrate on the REAL important things of life. And while pheasant hunting with crossbows makes sense, I simply cannot imagine halflings with crossbows. For me they do not connect. Slings and bows somehow feel more righteous.

>HOBBITS!   Drop this 'Halfling' rubbish.
Sorry, but "Hobbit" is a term that for the next couple of years (some 33) will belong to the various companies that administer the copyrights of J.R.R. Tolkien, especially his son Christopher who is very touchy about this world being filled with imaginery that are alien to his fathers ideas and then GW and Mithril who have the right to produce miniatures specifically on this background. While using the term in a debate on Tolkiens world is no problem, the creation of a plastic set that specifically uses Tolkiens Hobbits as background is bound to be ended by lawyers.
So I prefer to keep this debate focussed on ageneric race of shorter humans who are mainly farmers. Just to make it clear why I used this specific term.

-puster

That's fair enough when you put it that way!  grin 

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Sep 18 10 4:25 PM

Wouldn't Halflings be likely to raise honey bees? So wouldn't they have lots of bees nests to fire off?[image]

-vikingzombie

Bees are valuable 'cause they make honey and *mead* is fermented from honey, so there's just no way in Hell that the halflings are going to waste perfectly good bee hives on an orc invasion, win, lose, or draw!

Now those confounded hornets, wasps, and such?  Oh, no problem those! Stuns 'em with enough good pipeweed, then patches 'em up in their mud nests just in time to give them orcs a right proper reception!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Sep 18 10 4:40 PM

I just thought of a great subject for a vignette - a slightly plumper Orc running scared from a malnourished Halfling armed with a knife and fork, and a VERY hungry look on his face...

John

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Sep 18 10 6:00 PM

Bees are valuable 'cause they make honey and *mead* is fermented from honey, so there's just no way in Hell that the halflings are going to waste perfectly good bee hives on an orc invasion, win, lose, or draw![image]
Now those confounded hornets, wasps, and such?  Oh, no problem those! Stuns 'em with enough good pipeweed, then patches 'em up in their mud nests just in time to give them orcs a right proper reception![image][image][image]

-luoshangzhi

I guess I understand that... sort of the whole "Of course I saw the couch catch fire. But the only thing I had to hand was my beer. I wasn't going to use my beer to put it out!"

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Sep 18 10 11:29 PM

Halfling Molotovs - some for the bomb, some for me...

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Sep 19 10 9:17 AM

Centaurs!

As pointed out earlier in the thread, it sounds like the new horses would mean that only a mini sprue for the upper body would be needed. And with the way the Amazon's have been done, you could probably "steal" from those sprues for weapons and such, with later sets giving the Centaur's even more possibilities.

Furthermore, the only companies I'm aware of that use plastic in any proportion for their centaurs are WotC and GW. The "collectable" nature of WotC's makes some of them hard to find, while GW's are hardly what I'd consider classic centaurs.

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Sep 19 10 11:15 AM

I have yet, after years of trying to, figure out what is "Collectible" about WotC's figures.  They are soft plastic, hideously painted (and by machine no less) and many just look wrong to me.  If they were hand-painted by a really good artist and done in hard plastic (so as not to bends or have as much trouble with heat) I could see it, but to me WotC mini's are crap, and are banned by my GM from our RPG games (then again his wife is a very talented miniature painter).

John

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Sep 19 10 11:17 AM

There are some fairly good ones.  Lately most of them have been very poor quality.  I use a mix of figures myself, occasionally dipping into the Star Wars line as well.

I have yet, after years of trying to, figure out what is "Collectible" about WotC's figures.  They are soft plastic, hideously painted (and by machine no less) and many just look wrong to me.  If they were hand-painted by a really good artist and done in hard plastic (so as not to bends or have as much trouble with heat) I could see it, but to me WotC mini's are crap, and are banned by my GM from our RPG games (then again his wife is a very talented miniature painter).
John

-jjdiffley

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." - Robert E. Howard

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Sep 19 10 11:26 AM

I have yet, after years of trying to, figure out what is "Collectible" about WotC's figures.

-jjdiffley

Same reason Magic: The Gathering is collectible. The figures have rarity, thus value forced by virtue of supply. The mid-range of figures isn't bad. (The older sets and the newer sets are both crap. The middle sets weren't horrid.) Personally I use them as the DM as cheap 3D tokens to represent the monsters. I don't care that they look meh as each one only hits the table for an encounter or two. PC's on the other hand, use metal figures. But that's so they can make them look closer to their character than the pre-paints.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Sep 19 10 12:17 PM

OK, maybe I misspoke.  I probably should have said I don't understand why anyone would buy them in the first place, much less make them collectible.  The very best and rarest WotC mini is still worse than the worst Ral Partha figure.  Rare crap is still crap with the only upside that it is rare and thus unseen by most people.  Same goes for M:TG.  If I want to see Fantasy art, I just Google it and find far better artists with far better art and talent.  Why spend $ for garbage.  Speaking of which, Garbage Pail Kids were once collectable...I rest my case.

John

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help