Remove this ad

#141 [url]

Sep 6 13 12:52 PM

Reasonably priced Elves or Dwarves would make perfect sense as opponents for the excellent Orcs and Skeletons; we've got evil, now we need some "good guys" to put 'em in their place![image]What I for one would really like to see are some hard plastic ogres or minotaurs that don't require a second mortgage on one's house. Or trolls for that matter, just some big, nasty, ugly-as-sin rank-smashin' brutes for stiffening the ranks of the orc hordes and keeping them pointed in the right general direction...[image]

-luoshangzhi

And as we were discussing years ago you can really do all for those with the same kit with head options... a few big bodies and ugly human heads, bull heads, giant pig heads what have you.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#142 [url]

Sep 6 13 1:31 PM

And as we were discussing years ago you can really do all for those with the same kit with head options... a few big bodies and ugly human heads, bull heads, giant pig heads what have you.

-jerepp

If they're close to this, I'm game:

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#143 [url]

Sep 6 13 11:06 PM

Minotaurs would just ROCK!

A set with say.. One "Really Big Brute' (champion / leader) and a 'herd' of 8 or 10 of your average Big Brute Minotaurs to support (and obey) him.

But yea, they do have Orcsez.. and Skelie's, they really do need someone to stand against them. Elves and / or Dwarves would be the next logical step. I think their current Saxon, Viking, etc. would suffice just fine for "Men" in this set, unless you wanted something in full armor plate, then they would have to bring in a new set all together.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#144 [url]

Sep 9 13 5:54 AM

I'd be happy with all of the above mentioned sets. I really like the McBride Troll and certainly want to own a few of those.  I think they match the current orcs rather well.  I'd also like to see some warmachines.   

Quote    Reply   

#145 [url]

Sep 9 13 6:24 AM

I'd be happy with all of the above mentioned sets. I really like the McBride Troll and certainly want to own a few of those.  I think they match the current orcs rather well.  I'd also like to see some warmachines.   

-bryon31

Yeah I like that troll too, and I can see the same body with a Cyclops head or Oni type or big o' Bull even a big wolf/lion head would work just fine.

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#147 [url]

Sep 10 13 7:04 PM

It'd actually be really nice to have a mixed adventurer kit. Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, male and female with lots of gear and costume options. Make it two sprues, each repeated twice. Ten guys on one sprue and ten girls on the other. Four human bodies of various builds, two Elves, two Dwarves and two halflings on each sprue. You could merge human and Elf bodes if you need more sprue room and drop the miniature count, though the smaller size of the halflings and dwarves should help anyway. Most of the weapons will be hand ones, so open hands and separate weapons would work best.

Done well, that would sell a PACKET.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#148 [url]

Sep 11 13 5:41 AM

I would buy that pack Mark. However, I can't see myself needing more than 2 or 3 boxes of said pack.  My favorite idea from this would be having the ability to create NPC's for my RPG's.  The set you propose sounds perfect for creating merchants, thugs, bandits, townsfolk, and the like. 

But for the purposes of building an army I'd need more than 4 or 5 individuals per race per box.

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#149 [url]

Sep 11 13 4:54 PM

A lot of people said "I can only see myself buying 1-2 boxes" about the Apoc survivor kits, yet they are selling like gangbusters.

Agreed, though, that the Myths and Legends range needs some "good guys" for army use.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

potter

superstar

#150 [url]

Sep 12 13 2:17 AM

A mixed adventurer set would be a welcome addition, however like Bryon I'd end up having to purchase at least 3-4 (hey I could live with that!). I'm sure however most would only purchase one set, especially if it were to be a mix of males and females, they'd have all the figs they need for some great games.

This set really would be great however, especially for people just getting in to RPG's and collecting figs. Hopefully if you can get people in to a particular brand from the start of their hobby, then they'll stick with the brand (look at GW!), or at least return time and again to it between other possible projects wherever the hobby takes them. Call it loyalty, nostalgia, or just plain old good taste, people starting off would use them as a benchmark, and always have a fondness for the brand. Give me the boy....etc etc etc. It's something that's certainly achievable by Wargames Factory, and I have no doubt that many many people have got in to gaming Z games due to the Apoc Survivors. See, good taste still exists!

Generic Elves, Dwarves, Humans etc. as we've seen with other sets, by adding weapons, arms, heads etc from other sets would make for nigh on infinite customization. Not only that, I'm sure they'd be easy to 'Zombify' and it would be nice to see some zombies from other races for fantasy armies.

The flat neck connection, with flat/flush arm connections would be my torso type of choice as it leads to more choice of convincing figure pose and customization with the newer sets as well as the good old Persian's, Samurai/Ashigaru etc. The rounded neck connection sitting 'in' the torso is fine, but I fine it harder to swap head to torso between sets.

Open hand connections with one or two hand-holding-weapon options would be very welcome as again, it allows for more choice of weapons between sets and thereby more unique figs. It would also allow you to take the fig from Lvl 1 Adventurer, to Lvl x Dungeoneer for any RPG'ers out there whilst keeping a similar vibe for the face of the fig. More choice often means more sales.

If they'd be big hitters on sales like the Apoc Survivors seem to be (got to get me some) is another matter which is a crying shame. It's such a big risk, I'm not sure if the markets ready just yet. I really want the Adventurers/generics (so many uses!!!), but tooling, design, manufacturing....well, I can't see it happening in the near future. Still hope springs eternal!

I'd love to see a set of generic human medieval style 'archers' in basic gear. Same as some Men-At-Arms. Some swords, Bills, Halberds, knives, axes etc. Robin Hood, War of the Roses, 100 Years War scenarios beckon as well as all the fantasy implications. Kerching and great figs to boot.

I'm still hoping to get some pics of my Zombie Vixens up soon (painted before the move) but that's for another day and preferably when we're not relying on a dongle for an internet connection (hey nearly 3 months and our ISP still hasn't been able to connect thanks to a mix up with the address with the estate agents, way to go realtors).

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#151 [url]

Sep 12 13 1:36 PM

Potter, if you want generic medieval plastic soldiers, I'd suggest a look at the Perry miniatures Hundred Years War Mercenary kit. Pretty much on the money for what you just described :)

Not that I want to send too much custom away from WGF - but while you're waiting...

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#152 [url]

Sep 14 13 4:57 PM

@mrinku Spot on there mate; got some, and jolly nice they are too! True 28s as well and very nicely detailed. I like the look of the Fireforge ones as well, but have yet to see them in the flesh so to speak so not sure how they compare.
Nice looking figs though.

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#153 [url]

Sep 15 13 4:08 PM

The mounted men at arms are very sweet, too, for high medieval. I particularly like that the barding is an add-on, so you can make up a range of looks.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#154 [url]

Sep 16 13 5:56 AM

Potter, I have the Fireforge Teutonic knights and they mix well with WF 28's. They are a little bit smaller than the Armored Greeks but not enough to make them look awkward; they mix near perfectly with the ancient Numidians and Germans however. I think the Greeks are a tad large but within the range of true 28mm.

I do not have any of the Fireforge Foot soldiers yet and I really like the look of those.  Always have a use for some crosbowmen. But I couldn't tell you how they mesure up. 

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#155 [url]

Sep 17 13 1:26 AM

Potter, if you want generic medieval plastic soldiers, I'd suggest a look at the Perry miniatures Hundred Years War Mercenary kit. -mrinku

The mounted men at arms are very sweet, too, for high medieval. I particularly like that the barding is an add-on, so you can make up a range of looks.-mrinku

Though the HYW is not my area of major interest, I have check the site and I have to agree with you guys, "Credit where credit is due".. they look really good. And I cant 'cheer' enough about the barding being optional, as you pointed out. Its like getting the 'light or heavy' cav. option all in one set.
Something like the WSS, with just a switch of the heads you can have line or grenadier troops, and if by chance your doing an Imagi-nation army, who's to say your 'country' doesnt have entire battalions equiped with the tall or short miter head dress.

Potter, I have the Fireforge Teutonic knights and they mix well with WF 28's. -bryon31

While thats great to know Bryon 31, Im avoiding the Teutonic knights, not like a plague but rather an addiction. I have always 'loved' the entire King Arthur, Knights of the Round Table legend,since my childhood. If I were to start, (like my much loved Zulus), I dont see a real stopping point at collecting and building either of them. 
At some point.. I have 'got' to get these guys on a 'battle field' Somewhere! LOL

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#156 [url]

Sep 17 13 3:34 PM

You could easily convert Perry mounted men at arms into 17thC Curiassers with some tweaking. Change the legs from full plate to tassets-and-boots and add some spare pistols in saddle holsters. You could either do that by direct conversion (grind down the detail and build up boots with putty, scratch build pistols in holsters) or by combining them with WSS or ECW/30YW cavalry parts. Spare bits from Games Workshop Empire Knights could also be of use there (especially some of the helmets).

18thC Curiassers had moved away from the full plate look a lot, though. Still, they were still wearing 3/4 armour during the WSS, and there were still lancer units. But more likely to be wearing a lobster tail than a close helm.

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

#157 [url]

Nov 13 13 5:17 PM

The quote button was giving me problems:

luoshangzhi
Interact
fanatic
#10 [url]
Sep 15 10 8:17 AM
“OK. Meat n' taters stuff to start:
1) Elves. The mortal enemies of the orcs and their kin.
2) Dwarves. See above.
3) Lesser orcs/goblins.
4) Hobgoblins. Rather than the ubiquitous samurai-style I say we do a dedicated Chinese dynastic style complete with exotic weapons including *gunpowder* weapons like handguns and rockets and bombards. They're opponents for the historical Chinese figures I just KNOW Tony is itching to release in great numbers (HAH!!! ), as well as anyone else unlucky enough to have the hobgoblin Emperor Morg the Merciless take a fancy to their lands...
5) Trolls. Big, ugly, absurdly muscular, with a taste of any lesser cirtter they can catch.
6) Ogres. As above, but different styling.
7) Minotaurs and other Greco-Roman mythological folk.
This should all make for a good start to a fleshed out fantasy world.

While that is one to make the line mythical creature line bigger luoshangzhi (and not a bad way), I think the fantasy races should correspond more to WF's other lines, like the samurai line, because fantasy compliment to the existing lines would be cool. So I think the focus should probably be on Greco-Roman monsters, Japanese’s yokai and oni, and Scandinavian folk monsters like trolls, giants, gnomes, and maybe even the rarely mentioned huldras (which a set of would be easy to make and have a double purpose as they would be wild haired pretty peasant girls with horse tails, fox tails, and my favorite cow tails).
I like the gunpowder Chinese hobgoblins because they be would awesome and work will with any East Asian sets including the samurai sets, but even the “ubiquitous samurai-style” hobgoblins would work well with the Rising Sun line figures.
I think the elves should be done as a head swap option for any human fantasy set (like the men at arms or plat mail wearing battle maids proposals) if WF does them at all and I only say that because they are basically humans with pointy ears and have been done by almost everyone in the same basic manner, if WF does make a set of elves I think they should try to make something different like elf strelse or elf Landsknechtes or make them korean or mongolean, something new in any case, but thats just my opinion. (as you can tell I have some knock off grips)
Ogres and oni (and even trolls) could be represented in the same set by having different head swaps and weapons while the bodies all wear a loin cloth.
I think the goblins, like the elves, need to have a more unique theme than the standard hoard of treacherous little green men. I have seen them done as yokai by some companies for fantasy Japanese settings, but I would like to see something a bit more folklore like for yokai and less goblin dressed in poorly fitting samurai armor. Now making the goblins an antagonist for the Might of Rome or Pike and Shot sets could be interesting, which is more or less what happened to the WF orcs as some of them seem to be wearing captured and modified Roman legionnaire armor or tunics.
I agree that the Greek mythology monsters should be made as they would sell and compliment the Greek sets, but I also think some Persian monsters would be cool to.
I think the dwarves should be 16th century Russian appearance with great axes and muskets. That is not too original or even complementary to other sets, I just really want strelse in 28mm (cries in a corner).
(The most impractical race I have mentioned from a gaming prospective is the huldra, which is due more to it being an obscure Scandinavian folk monster which most tabletop game makers don’t know about than anything else. To explain what they are: in Scandinavian folklore the huldra plays similar role to the dryads of Greek myth in that they a beautiful protectors of the forest and they have bark growing on their backs, and that is more or less all the two have in common. They come in two variants: the naughty Swedish version (who go about naked, kill people, are temptresses, and live on lust or something like that) and the more modestly dressed Norwegian version who are generally good or neutral but if you make them mad they will kill you with their bare hands or worse. All huldras have the strength of ten men and magical abilities. The way to tell that a person is a huldra is that they have a horse, fox or cow tails, if you see said tail do not mention it as they consider it very rude (or something) and will pound you to death. In the legends they lack a soul and can gain one only by marrying a Christian in a church, if they succeed they lose their tail but keep their inhuman strength. There is also a pretty boy male version called Huldra Kull (you can look them up on the wikipedia and here http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Huldra).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help