Remove this ad

elbows

superstar

Lead

Nov 2 10 3:56 AM

Tags : :

So, I understand the idea behind Imagi-Nations...and I think its great.  Is there a common miniatures rules set, or is it just a floating malleable idea shared between gamers?  I'm curious because I've a hankerin' to buy some WSS or Pike and Shot style miniatures and start gaming.

Anyone?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 2 10 4:30 AM

I have never heard of any common rules set dedicated to imagi-nations. Rather, imagi-nations players seem to use ordinary rules for the period of their choice (typically 18th century).

The general idea seems to be that you then construct an army that would be pretty typical for any of the actual historical armies of the era, but then you invent your own names, flags, uniform colours and background setting for your imagi-nation.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Nov 2 10 4:34 AM

As far as I know the BAR rules are mentioned often, even  "Charge!" from Peter Young is used. In my opinion it is more about creating Nations and stories and Gentlemen wargaming than anything else.
The battlegames magazin had some interesting articles about Imagi-nations in it´s  earlier issues.

I will use "Grand  Ambition" from The Assault Group, the Louis XIV version of Father Tilly. But I have a long way to go before will field enough troops even for the tabletop teasers from C.S. Grant for example.

cheers

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 2 10 8:42 AM

This has always been tempting to me; as an incorrigible fan of both actual history and speculative fiction in equal measure, I have pondered every now and again through the years a horse and musket period project of creating my own pseudo-Scandahooligan empire of some sort, uniforms and all modeled on the Armies of Denmark and Sweden of Charles XII... lots of musket-armed infantry used very aggressively with battalion guns and cavalry that understand their function is to use shock action to get the job done...

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 2 10 12:27 PM

Oooh, now you've done it...Looks like I will need to buy some of these 18th Century figures and make an army of Irish, of course using the excuse that the Rebellion of 1641 was successful and a new nation arose: The United Provences of Erin (since the rallying cry was "Bona na croin", meaning "Neither collar nor crown"

CelticHound-1.png image by LIGHT67

An Irish Wolf, holding and Irish Hilt sword in its jaws, with the collar of slavery broken and the English Crown trampled and broken under its paw, done in a traditional Celtic knotwork style.

Here is the Poem it came from (sorce en.allexperts.com Medieval section):

Bona na Croin

"Neither your collar nor crown Shall I wear ~ my nose not brown, Nor I some clown in your court, In chains brought ~ a wolf to town.

By no oath bound to your King, To my Gods alone I sing, Grey shadow hiding from sight To keep the rite from waning.

In red gold you dress these slaves, What throne can forget Nine Waves? In deep caves our flame I shield, Never to yield to such knaves.

Collars serve to reign dogs in, Quell their nerve with shades and sin. Wild wolf’s kin such bangles scorn, Free-born I stay, son of Fionn.

My brothers hunted, slain, skinned. Yet still my cries ride the wind, Numbers thinned, but still we wait, For your hate, we have not sinned.

Now the lone hunters take heed, Upon the Great Stag we feed, Blood for mead. His death our life, Ends this strife, stirs this dried seed.

The old packs come together, Ties that fear cannot sever, Endeavour in pride to stand In the Wolf Land, forever."

~this is the poem it came from, im not sure of the author but its meaning is defiance to the English rule in Ireland.

Like the author of the piece above, i also do not know who originally wrote the poem, as it was likely published unsigned.

John

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Nov 2 10 2:00 PM

Hmmm... John Ericsson the inventor of the USS Monitor born ahead of his time... invents steam power... the screw propeller... ironclad warships for Sweden that proceed to overwhelm all opposition in the Baltic and North Sea... Swedish Empire spreads across Scandinavia, the German States, and Poland.... steam-powered Swedish merchant fleet grows to completely dominate world trade and Sweden acquires overseas colonies at an alarming rate in the Pacific and Far East... muscles Spain out of the New World within half a century... this could get messy...

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

elbows

superstar

#6 [url]

Nov 2 10 2:43 PM

Okay, so it is what I thought - a rather free flowing acceptance of quasi-fiction.  Awesome...will begin researching.  I was actually hoping to mix some Pike and Shotte era with the WSS, regardless of the years...hmmm...

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Nov 2 10 2:46 PM

so sorry Leland its been done.By Eric Flint

The 1632 series

Once also known on the internet as the 163x series, Baen for a time called the Ring of Fire series, and it is as frequently called the 1632 Universe or 1632verse; however it is named, it is a best-selling success with the 12th published work due in February 2008. The alternate history series starts when the inhabitants of a small town in the USA find themselves transported back to Central Germany ... in the late spring (May) of 1631 with no way back. The first book title results because while the tale builds in 1631, the climax occurs when events in the Thirty Years' War nearly overrun the town in 1632.
  • 1632, which successfully initiated the series. Primary characters and setting are in fictional Grantville, West Virginia, now part of Thuringia.
  • 1633 (2002) with David Weber, which is co-sequel with the following Ring of Fire anthology.
  • Ring of Fire (Jan 2004, 1st of many 1632 canonical anthologies, currently supplemented by the Grantville Gazettes. For a while the title of this work was used as the series name.)
  • 1634: The Galileo Affair (April 2004) with Andrew Dennis; this work takes stories from four Ring of Fire short stories and launches the second major storyline (called a 'thread' by Flint) in the milieu.
  • Grantville Gazette I print release, November 2004
  • Grantville Gazette II print release, March 2006
  • 1634: The Ram Rebellion April 2006 with author-historian and key 1632 Research Committee member Virginia DeMarce. Together with stories from Ring of Fire and several Grantville Gazettes, this work launches the third major storyline thread in the novel which will be set primarily in Austria, though this book spends much time in Grantville, WV.
(Note: Two to three additional Novels are planned in 1634 alone, including another with David Weber who is contracted for five total)

"He either fears his fate too much, Or his deserts are small, That puts it not unto the touch To win or lose it all" ---- James Graham - Marquis of Montrose

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Nov 2 10 6:17 PM

Well, you guys have gotten MY attention.  I'll be a talking to my usual opponents about coming up with a set of rules.

THAT said.......Volley and Bayonet, Path to Glory rules do work for ECW and Napoleonics. I would imagine the rules will work for 1700s too??

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 3 10 2:53 AM

Swedish Empire spreads across Scandinavia, the German States, and Poland....

-luoshangzhi

You don't really need any steamboats for that. Remember that Sweden was a rather major power in the beginning of the 18th century, due to the conquests of the previous century. Ambitious kings and generals had spent a lot of time marching Swedish armies over western Russia, Baltic provinces, Poland, Germany, Denmark and Norway. However, the actual land gains on the peace treaties afterwards were not usually as great as originally hoped for.

Had the Swedes not been busy with the Great Northern War they probably would have found some way to get involved in the WSS instead, showing the central European folks the shock of Gå På -tactics and sharp pikes.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Nov 3 10 4:02 AM

Greetings

My initial ideas on imagi-nations turn around the War of Friesian Succession (about 1699-1701) between the Prince-Electorate of Landau and the Margravate (or Marquisate) of Berlitz.

Landau is likely to be Dutch inspired, although the forces of Holstein-Gottorp that opposed the Danes in 100 are also a possibility (and overlap as Dutch troops were involved). Berlitz is probably primarily French inspired/dominated.

Regards

Edward

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Nov 3 10 2:10 PM

So an Early 18th Century Army of the United Provinces of Erin.  I'm thinking Green uniforms with White trim and some Gold trim. Standard would be the Four Provinces Flag:

So maybe some regiments would be Blue and Gold, Blue and Gold w/Black Trim, and Red and Gold w/ White trim?  Each showing their Provincial colors.

However, the County of Meath, which was an on again, off again Province depending upon who the High King was that held Tara (near Modern Dublin) has these colors:

So would a National Color scheme, based upon Dublin as Capitol be Blue, Turquoise, White and Copper?  Or should I just go with my gut and do Green with Gold Trim, and the belts in White?

John, who is pondering this, maybe too much?

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Nov 3 10 4:23 PM

so sorry Leland its been done.By Eric Flint
The 1632 seriesOnce also known on the internet as the 163x series, Baen for a time called the Ring of Fire series, and it is as frequently called the 1632 Universe or 1632verse; however it is named, it is a best-selling success with the 12th published work due in February 2008. 

-ldgauld

So in other words, great (evil and twisted) minds work (or malfunction) alike...

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Nov 3 10 4:24 PM

You don't really need any steamboats for that. Remember that Sweden was a rather major power in the beginning of the 18th century, due to the conquests of the previous century. Ambitious kings and generals had spent a lot of time marching Swedish armies over western Russia, Baltic provinces, Poland, Germany, Denmark and Norway. However, the actual land gains on the peace treaties afterwards were not usually as great as originally hoped for.
Had the Swedes not been busy with the Great Northern War they probably would have found some way to get involved in the WSS instead, showing the central European folks the shock of Gå På -tactics and sharp pikes.

-griefbringer

Oh, I am getting quite the schooling in the period and the players; I'm already about half way through Massie's PETER THE GREAT: HIS LIFE AND TIMES.... Tsar Peter is bracing for Charles XII's oncoming invasion of Russia at the point where I stopped reading this morning...

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Nov 3 10 4:59 PM

Now would this all mean a possibility of  the Irish conquering/carving out an empire from neighboring lands/islands? Well, "one" special one anyway.wink

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 3 10 5:13 PM

Now would this all mean a possibility of  the Irish conquering/carving out an empire from neighboring lands/islands? Well, "one" special one anyway.[image]

-crazyharborc

Maybe...you know what they say about payback being a bitchdevil

John

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Nov 3 10 9:10 PM

You may also want to look at Field of Battle from Piquet. It covers horse and musket warfare from 1700-1900. I see no reason why you could not adapt it to the needs of your imagi-nation.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Dec 21 10 4:33 PM

I've slowly been working on a couple of Imagi-Nation ideas.  One is Teddy Roosevelt and the Roughriders of Mars. And an all Irish nation called New Erin, formed after the successful Fenian Revolution on the island of New Brunswick.

Lo, there do I see the line of my people. Lo, they do call me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live...forever

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Dec 25 10 7:49 AM

Oh, I thought the Irish would invade, conquer, subjugate the Isle of Man for a buffer zone the turn their attentions on Iceland and the westlands beyond Greenland.

Thriving in information.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help