Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 27 11 11:46 PM

Tags : :

Hi I have wrote some simple rules for the Horse and Musket period and was wondering if some people on here would like to play test them. Please let me know what you think? I am planning to use these rules with the WSS figures that are made by Wargames Factory. I can not wait for the cav and Artty to be made.

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 29 11 7:26 AM

Noel;

I can't get your link to go anywhere except back to this post. Are you linking to the rules on a hosted site like Photobucket or Picasa? Or are you linking to them on a blog or other web site? I would be glad to take a look at them but need a direct link to wherever the rules are stored, and that location has to be accessible to the public. If the rules are stored on your computer and that is what you are trying to link to, then we will not be able to access them.

EDIT:

Never mind, I got to them. I see now that you simply uploaded the file. I'll review them and send some comments later. A couple of things I did notice right away:

1. Your movement rates and firing ranges are very generous considering the ground occupied by a typical unit. Assuming a 48" table width with each side having a 12" setup area, your cavalry will be withing charge reach on turn 2 and your muskets will be within range (conceivably) following deployment. Is that how fast you intended for contact to take place?

2. I realize that these are somewhat "generic" for all Horse & Musket periods, but "prone" really wasn't "done" in the WSS, or even in western European warfare until skirmishers began to come to prominence mid to late 18th century, and then only for skirmishers. Also, Infantry did not yet charge in column, columnar movement was strictly for road march and maneuver at this stage. Early 18th century warfare was still very formalized based on drill books and manuals, and was really still very similar to late renaissance warfare with very static lines and charges at the fast walk for foot and at the trot for cavalry.

Bill Sir William the Aged www.warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 29 11 8:25 PM

Bill's note 2 also applies to cavalry.

What level of action do you want to game?  How large would the units be?  With a 24 inch musket range, ground scale would be about 10 yards per inch.  A 600 man battalion would have a frontage of about 12 inches+.  A 120 man cavalry squadron would have a frontage of about 8 inches and a full Prussian regiment would be five times as wide.  Artillery would have a frontage of at least 12 yards per gun.  Pistols are not needed, unless you are doing a very small action with individual figures instead of units.  Cavalry would normally use the saber in melee.

One of the rule sets I use is Volley and Bayonet which also has large movement rates, so the movement rates in your rules are fine with me, though as Bill noted, on a four foot table contact will occur quite quickly.  The club I belong to also has a home grown set of Napoleonic rules with similar ranges and movements though the author has his battalions based on four inch wide stands.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 30 11 12:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback, we use a large table at our club 8' by 6' so the ranges are based on that. I wrote these rules for my Battle of Jersey game that I am working on. They were designed for small company actions where 1 man = 10 men. The figures are based on their own and are placed on a magnetic tray. A normal infantry unit will be in 2 ranks of 10 men. With a unit breakdown of 17 men, 1 Officer, 1 Flag and 1 Drummer. A cavalry unit would be 7 men, 1 Officer, 1 Musician and 1 standard.

I have uploaded my new set version 2. With all the ideas from the feedback.

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help