Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Oct 3 11 3:10 AM

We played a game of 1644 with the WSS mods yesterday. The rules were originally written for the WSS and later retrofitted for the ECW period.

We liked 1644 in the first instance due to their relative simplicity and the fact that we were using them to introduce our son’s in to historical gaming.

The game worked well, and the boys enjoyed it, but things that stuck out as “could do better” were…

Movement – at 4” per turn, 2” if you want to fire, it was veeeeerrrrryyyy slooooooooooow.

Moral – has modifiers for casualties for H2H, but not from firepower, meaning that units were being reduced to quarter strength without flinching.

We’ll sort that out for our next game and hopefully that will see things improve.

Without so much as a damn your eyes www.16ld.org

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Oct 3 11 7:04 AM

Movement – at 4” per turn, 2” if you want to fire, it was veeeeerrrrryyyy slooooooooooow.
Moral – has modifiers for casualties for H2H, but not from firepower, meaning that units were being reduced to quarter strength without flinching.

for the movement Kings allows a longer move if the enemy cant be seen, if they are behind a hill or a terrain feature is in the way - which means figures can move up to contact range quicker. We use a 1.5 MU for my 25mm figures so they move 4 x 1.5" = means all the rangers etc in the ules stay the same and I use a measuirng stick in 1.5 units

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#23 [url]

Oct 4 11 12:54 AM

We’ll sort that out for our next game and hopefully that will see things improve.

-16qld

Best of luck at sorting out the 'details' and little glitches of your game *16qld.
At just 4" per turn.. yea that does seem to be kind of on the slow side for advancing troops, to say the least it can turn simple manuvers into what seems like 'forever" just to come with in firing range.
And I kind of see your point on the "Moral mod's for H2H but not for taking fire", giving you reason to scratch your heads, even when the units been 'cut down' to only a quarter of their manpower.. but "no one noticed or cared?"  LOL
I agree, possibly a good system that might need a bit of fine tuning here and there..

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Oct 4 11 3:48 AM

Things we looked at yesterday were doubling the movement when not within 8" of the enemy (lifted from WHFB) and puting a -1 modifier on moral for every 25% of casualties.

To put this in context, to pass a moral test you have to get on a D6, raw - 5+, trained - 4+, elite - 3+, and if you have a general in B2B contact it's even easier.

We were playing on a 8'x6' table, so movement was important.

Without so much as a damn your eyes www.16ld.org

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jan 2 12 9:24 AM

I like BLB for large actions but am working on a set derived from Toofatlardies Sharp Practice for company & battalion level games.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#27 [url]

Jul 25 12 11:47 PM

Have to change my previous answer.

Maurice is the name of the game for WSS.
Fun, tense, fast, confused and full of surprises.

Only minus for me is that it does not scale well beyond 2/4 players and i would like to do mega games with 3/4 players aside, due to the fact that WF gave us such nice and affordable WSS figures.

Now if only the artillery would be released !!!

Alex

ps i have 14 boxes of foot, 8 boxes of cav (and will buy some more) and am committed on LuL for 8 boxes of artillery

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jul 27 12 4:21 AM

Was going to use my Marlburians for Maurice - but Thank You Perkunios for reminding us about King of the Battlefield. We played this several times a few years ago for the Seven Years War and quite liked its originality, so I may come back to it for the early 18th C.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Aug 19 12 7:09 AM

Maurice is a nice set with lots of flavour but its written for the seven years war when drill & tactics had changed quite a bit form the War of Spanish Succession. I would personally use Beneath the  Lilly Banners which is designed for this and the proceeding nine years war in particular.

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Aug 22 12 12:44 AM

Maurice is a nice set with lots of flavour but its written for the seven years war when drill & tactics had changed quite a bit form the War of Spanish Succession. I would personally use Beneath the  Lilly Banners which is designed for this and the proceeding nine years war in particular.

-evilginger

actually I am pretty convinced it is written for the WSS

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Nov 17 12 4:39 PM

Actually Maurice was written for the period 1690-1790 and it works very well.  The card driven system makes for endless re-playability and is just plain fun. 

Did I forget to mention Maurice is my favorite set of rules for WSS?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help