Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 24 12 7:32 PM

Tags : :

I want to build a  Unit of Houscarls armed with two handed axes. If I buy the Saxon Thegns and max out the two handed axes how many figures can I make? I want  twenty figures for my unit.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jan 24 12 8:06 PM

I want to build a  Unit of Houscarls armed with two handed axes. If I buy the Saxon Thegns and max out the two handed axes how many figures can I make? I want  twenty figures for my unit.

-tmrarose

If you go to the actual web store, then select the "Hammer of the Gods" section, then the appropriate set, all except the Viking Bondi show sprue pics. To answer your question: Each box contains 4 sprues of weapons, shields and heads, and 8 sprues with bodies and arms. The Saxon "weapon" sprues only have one two-handed axe, while the Viking "weapon" sprues have 2.

So, extrapolating that out, one box of Saxons will only produce 4 two-handed axes, and one box of Vikings will only produce 8 two-handed axes. Since the heads are interchangeable and there really isn't a lot of difference in the dress and armor otherwise, 2 boxes of Viking Huscarls and one of Saxons would hive you 20 two-handed axemen.

Bows are a similar problem, as both Viking and Saxon "weapon" sprues only have 2 quivers and 2 bows each, so 8 to the box.

One option is to purchase some separate metal axes and/or bow and quivers from either Essex or Irregular, which will work fine with your plastics using super glue. The only other "easy" solution is to mix some of the WF figures with Gripping Beast's Vikings or Saxons, which include a few more axes and in 3 sizes, one-hand, medium and the Danish "Great Axe". According to some blogs and other Forums that I have seen, the WF and GB figures are reasonably compatible and would give you a good mix of poses and figures.

Also, depending on how you are composing your Saxon force, you could add in a set of Conquest Games plastic mounted Normans, which also have parts that will interchange with both WF and GB. I have seen some excellent pics of these converted to mounted Saxon Nobility, mounted Viking Raiders, and parts from all 3 sets used to create Spanish of the Requonquista period (El Cid). Hope this helps!

Regards;

Bill Sir William the Aged www.warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help