Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 6 12 10:40 AM

Tags : :

Hi all!  I've painted up a few boxes of WF's Romans and posted a few tips on my blog.  Just thought I'd pass some of my thoughts on in case they prove useful to anyone else.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#2 [url]

Jun 7 12 12:31 AM

Sweet Mother of Spartacus!
1000foot... just out of curiousity, how "few boxes" have you painted up?
Oh and when can we see a bit more of a 'distance' pic..  i.e. lets see MORE TROOP! devil

Very Nice....

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 7 12 7:07 AM

Hey thanks guys! I picked up two boxes when WF was running their 10 dollar per box special a few years ago. I didn't even play ancients at the time but the deal was too good to pass up.

More pics and stuff on my blog.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#5 [url]

Jun 7 12 11:51 AM

1000foot..  I ck'd out your blog, some really nice work you have done. 

Its always been my dream to have a Roman and or Zulu army. Well just as I was 'about' to order my 1st Romans, the locals stopped playing. "A Pox on them for that."
But I got the Zulu's started...   grin well 30 completed.. but coming back for more, soon I hope.

Unfortunately.. Im also now craving to build "various" Greek city states as well as Persians.

1000foot,
Or any one if you please.. what type of camera(s) are you using to photo your miniatures?
I am presently ..  lets say financially challenged..  so Im  trying to get an idea what to start looking / planning for.

Im curious, have you begun playing ancients now or still only painting them?

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 8 12 6:20 AM

I know what you mean about being distracted by Greeks and Persians. I found I need to keep focused on one period and make some progress every day (even if it's just clipping a dozen parts from a sprue) or I get totally distracted and 'off schedule'.

For my camera I'm just using a Canon PowerShot, a simple point and click.  I used the macro feature for a long time, but eventually found that by pulling back and zooming in on a model (or group), it kept more of the figures in focus.  Good lighting is the most important part, and the thing I am struggling with the most as I don't have a dedicated light just for photography.

I have managed to get in a handful of games of Hail Caesar.  Here's a link to some of my AARs. I was planning on trying out HC, DBA and Impetus before deciding on which rules set to use, but I loved HC after the first play I've decided to stick with it.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#7 [url]

Jun 8 12 1:07 PM

So you no longer use the "macro" option. I would say, "whatever your doing.. Keep Doing It".
The pictures you have posted so far seem to be well lit and clearly focused. Granted I am no photographer, but there clear and easy to see.

Thanks for the info on camera type and advice. Just FYI *1000foot, are you aware there is a thread here on the forum on photographing miniatures? It seems your doing really well now but "Knowledge Is Power", you might pick up something new. Or you may have read it already.

I recently got what I had "hoped" would be a simple point & shoot as well. Sadly it "was". However anything closer than 5 ft. was a blur.  As my primary reason for getting the darn thing was just to photograph miniatures, it was useless. 
Back to the drawing board....... and frustration. Maybe working on too many projects in my head at the same time.

Thanks again.. I hope to 'catch' a FOG or an HC came sometime..  still love to try this.

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#9 [url]

Jun 11 12 6:34 AM

I have to say that I don't own any WF Romans and the web says they have shallow detail.  However, everytime I see them painted up they look great.  So much for web critics.

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#10 [url]

Jun 11 12 9:58 AM

Joe those Romans look ace mate-I've had my eye's on getting some for a while now for WAB and possibly for a mash up idea I am working on.

Hmm I can see my pennies going to VVV wink

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Jul 1 12 6:24 PM

Likely get lynched for saying this but I am thinking a couple of those Romans and a couple of those Great Coats could be done up to look like Ranger Veterans and Legionairies from Fallout: New Vegas. I love the story between the two factions and a I think a couple would be a nice tribute.

On the more serious side, I am getting awfully tempted to try historicals looking at the awesome models you have. How many figures would be considered a normal sized army?

Mud

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Nov 25 12 11:18 AM

OKAY....I am a bit late....BUT.

Wargames Factory started with the "okay" Romans. Good quality at a GREAT price, easy to work with material...plastic.  Later releases with details that are GREAT. Prices are still GREAT.

I don't "need" museum quality for my wargaming armies. Metal costs more. I am tired of "black thumbs and fingers. Not to mention the lead/pewter dust all over my work area.

Transporting my armies.........the boxes weigh more when the minies are(mostly) metal units. I don't need HEAVY weight minies any more.

So far...all of WGFs goodies are just fine for filling up units/ranks

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#14 [url]

Nov 25 12 12:34 PM

"Metal" is the main reason I got out of playing 40K.
I really liked their Eldar, but I was into that in the 'early' days of the game, so all but the Space Marines were lead then. In time a few other factors plus the simple fact, I just got tired of "lugging lead" ended my 40K gaming.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 25 12 2:09 PM

It used to be that plastic models were inferior to metal in terms of detail. Now, however, the majority of plastic figures are very good indeed and have lovely detail. And, of course, they come complete with the added advantages of price, convertability and poseability. For someone like me, who enjoys kitbashing and converting, plastic models are ideal for making unique units.

There are some very nice ranges of metal models out there - Reaper is the gold-standard for RPG characters, of course - but for units there is nothing to beat inexpensive and easily converted plastics. Wargames Factory's low price point makes them exceedingly attractive.

I am in ur base, killin ur doods Abraham is in Ur, contemplatin the will of God

Quote    Reply   

xeno

superstar

#16 [url]

Nov 28 12 5:40 PM

The earlier WF releases were pretty poor, detail-wise, especially on the faces; it took the company a while to work out the tooling, from what I understand. They got a lot better.

I just ordered some Romans and I'm looking forward to getting a hold of them. Romans for line infantry, Numidians with Roman bits for Velites, and Auxilia cavalry for support -- a fun combination!

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Nov 28 12 7:34 PM

You got them to rank up! You magnificent youknowwhat! Good tips. I wish I still had some left to paint. Mine all became Impetus based because I had nothing but major problems otherwise.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Nov 30 12 5:46 PM

I normally work on four minies at a time. Paint a lot before gluing them together. I glue all four bodies together. Then two at a time, I glue them onto bases and rank them up so I can adjust the minies while the Testor's plastic cement is still setting.

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Dec 2 12 10:32 AM

Thanks earthspeaker! I'm glad you found it useful. I've got a few more WGF vikings in the pipeline that will be using those color schemes. I'll post them to the WGF forum once they are ready :)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help