Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 6 12 8:16 PM

Tags : :

Hi everybody,
I bought two sets of all the samurai boxes at Gen con and I've decided to split them into Takeda and Uesugi clans. Id like to set them up for the 4TH battle of kawanakajima. I'm currently researching the two armies before I build too much but I'll post updates here.

I'll post a few questions to any learned forumites out there :
Anyone know the composition (in general) if the two sides ? I'd like to build with the historic forces as a base

What's my best bet to get monks for uesugi? Greenstuff? I'd love a conversion sprue with heads and naganatas and such but its a pipe dream

Anyone have a suggestion for a good system to game with these minis? I have the warhammer ancient battles book but the samurai list is really lacking....

I'll post some initial tests of color schemes soon.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 6 12 8:58 PM

estalies,

do you have the Osprey volume covering the Kawanakajima battles? Its a good place to start your research:

http://www.amazon.com/Kawanakajima-1553-1564-Samurai-Struggle-Campaign/dp/1841765627/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346993667&sr=8-1&keywords=Kawanakajima

Next, there's Turnbull's volume on samurai armies that details such things as actual muster reports that have survived to the present day:

http://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Armies-1467-1649-Battle-Orders/dp/1846033519/ref=pd_sim_b_10

Here's Turnbull's Osprey volume on heraldry:

http://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Heraldry-Elite-Stephen-Turnbull/dp/1841763047/ref=pd_sim_b_11

Then there's Senor Valerio's superb reconstructions of samurai heraldry featured on the Samurai Archives website:

http://www.samurai-archives.com/

Hope this all helps!

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 10 12 3:19 PM

Wow, just got some samurai cav together and I got to say they are some of the best plastics I've ever put together. Detailed and excellent options.

-estalies

As a major historical researching perpetrator of this particular release I am very pleased to hear this, estalies.

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Sep 11 12 6:33 PM

Really? That's interesting. They are really fantastic kits. Very close in quality to the big name stuff and far better proportions and accurate to the period.

Now all I need is a conversion sprue with monk bits and naganatas and I can raise the Uesugi force to face them

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 12 12 5:38 AM

Hi everybody,
Anyone have a suggestion for a good system to game with these minis? I have the warhammer ancient battles book but the samurai list is really lacking....

I'll post some initial tests of color schemes soon. 

-estalies

A better system of rules is BLACKPOWDER by WARLORD thiers already a few samurai pdf's at thier yahoo group files section, basing  is 6 stands of 40x40mm bases per unit and for this genre of gaming you can do loose formations of three 28mm figures per base for Infantry.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/BlackPowderWargaming/

I have copys for sale at my store of the main rule book as well if thiers not a local store you support
www.adlerhoby.com

Im going down this path very soon would love to see pictures of all stages of you efforts thasnks and good luck.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 12 12 6:29 AM

We locally are going to use Hail Ceasar instead of black powder. Gives a longer melee feel which most samurai battles had. The arquebusiers give a -1 to the morale save.
       The entire clan for the Uesugi were not monks. Kenshin the leader of the clan was a monk not the entire clan nor their allies. You only need a few heads here and there, all the rest would be regular samurai and ashigaru.
Each army would consist of several allied clans each with their own mon.

Good luck.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 12 12 11:57 AM

I'm aware that he didn't have an entire army of monks. However the people I'm trying to get invested into the game are warhammer fantasy and shogun total war fanatics so I needs some units of monks.

I dont really like the system of multiple figures per base... maybe I played warhammer too much. Does Hail Caesar use single figure bases?

I just bought a game called War and Conquest off of a recommendation on another forum, is that any good?

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Sep 12 12 2:55 PM

Hail caesar mostly uses multiple figures per base. But with Hail Caesar you can mount them however you wish. There is no figure removal. Multiple stands are just easier to move vs individual figures. You could of course use movement trays.  The local group played a 1000 points per side game in around 3 hours. Over 1400 28mm miniatures. I am not familiar with war and conquest. If you are looking for monks Perry miniatures make some of the best on the market.
Good Gaming.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 12 12 11:34 PM

I'm aware that he didn't have an entire army of monks. However the people I'm trying to get invested into the game are warhammer fantasy and shogun total war fanatics so I needs some units of monks.
I dont really like the system of multiple figures per base... maybe I played warhammer too much. Does Hail Caesar use single figure bases?
I just bought a game called War and Conquest off of a recommendation on another forum, is that any good?

-estalies

Monks? Well, you *could* set your games for Oda Nobunaga's campaigns against the Ikko-Ikki if your gaming group wants units of dedicated warrior monks...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Oct 10 12 12:32 AM

-estalies

Hi

I have a complete bias here but yes - I think War & Conquest is very good :)

All the army lists are free online, there are over 300 ancient and medieval and that includes a Samurai list for the 'Age of War' period with 3 variants. (There are also free Napoleonic, Seven Years war and coming at the end of the week 123 Renaissance lists!)
Coming soonish, will be expanded Koreans and Ikko Ikki lists. Odas campaign against the Ikko is interesting and quite gamable. Its something I am working on as well as part of a future publication.

Kind regards

Rob Broom
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Oct 10 12 3:00 AM

robb,

Welcome to our forum!

I also bought the War and Conquest rule book at my local game store here in the US. 

The book is 176 pages. It is a very, very impressive rule book, and IMHO, a great reference book for both the beginning and veteran miniatures gamer.

Jim

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Oct 10 12 12:06 PM

Hi
I have a complete bias here but yes - I think War & Conquest is very good :)
All the army lists are free online, there are over 300 ancient and medieval and that includes a Samurai list for the 'Age of War' period with 3 variants. (There are also free Napoleonic, Seven Years war and coming at the end of the week 123 Renaissance lists!)
Coming soonish, will be expanded Koreans and Ikko Ikki lists. Odas campaign against the Ikko is interesting and quite gamable. Its something I am working on as well as part of a future publication.
Kind regards
Rob Broom
[url]
[url]

-robb

Imjin War Ming Chinese? Do tell.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Oct 11 12 9:55 PM

Yes, the Ming as well. Very necessary for the Korean campaign. We do have starter lists already but I wrote some much more lengthy versions a while back.

-robb

Absolutely, hence why I've been trying to get others on board with my L&UL proposals for Ming infantry, cavalry, and artillery for the Imjin War... just a terribly underappreciated army IMHO!

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#18 [url]

Oct 12 12 7:02 AM

Absolutely, hence why I've been trying to get others on board with my L&UL proposals for Ming infantry, cavalry, and artillery for the Imjin War... just a terribly underappreciated army IMHO![image]

-luoshangzhi

I don't know that they are underappreciated, I don't think most people know much about them.  I think the nest of bees would be a fun piece of  artillery.  But to be honest the only thing I know about them I learned from an episode of Deadliest Warrior.  It pitted the Ming Warrior against a French Musketeer. 

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Oct 13 12 5:15 AM

Bryon31 makes a fair point.

Once you have read a little about Chinese history it shows how little we know (in Europe and the US) and how much there is too learn and enjoy. The Ming are just 1 Dynasty, there are plenty more and plenty of exciting battles and tales to research/refight!

Mind you, going back on topic, Japan has lots too offer as well smile

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Oct 14 12 5:30 PM

I don't know that they are underappreciated, I don't think most people know much about them.  I think the nest of bees would be a fun piece of  artillery.  But to be honest the only thing I know about them I learned from an episode of Deadliest Warrior.  It pitted the Ming Warrior against a French Musketeer. 

-bryon31

The more you learn about just the Imjin War alone will leave you realizing how little ya really know about Chinese military history, Byron. As Robb rightly points out, the Ming are just one dynasty of many, and that just underscores the scope and breadth of how poorly we Westerners appreciate the history of the Far East beyond the mostly superficial love of samurai in popular culture...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help