Remove this ad

bryon31

superstar

#21 [url]

Oct 16 12 7:08 AM

This thread sparked my interest and over the weekend I saw the film "The Warlords" with Jet Li.  It was pretty good, not keen on the wierd romance in it, but the battles were good.  I really liked the look of the various armies (Imperial & rebel).  I'm not sure how accurate the weapons and armor are historicly but they looked impressive. I'd buy them.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Oct 16 12 8:57 PM

Byron,

the film you're referring to is The Warlords, which is set during the Taiping Rebellion - the second bloodiest war in human history until WW2. The Taiping Rebellion occurred during the later Qing Dynasty, the ethnic Manchurian (Manchu) dynasty that conquered Ming Dynasty China and would rule in increasing decrepitude until the Revolution of 1911 that saw the last emperor (Pu Yi) forced to abdicate as the first Chinese republic was declared under Sun Yat Sen.

The weapons are generally accurate AFAIK, the armour worn by the Taiping rebels more likely than not inaccurate affectations of Chinese cinema. Apparently the tale is based upon a true story of the Taiping Rebellion, including the assassination depicted at the end of the film.

The Ming Army of the Imjin War period I've been promoting so fanatically () was a different critter entirely in terms of uniforms, armour styles, and so on, yet with many of the same weapons and some very different weapon systems long out of use by the time of the Taiping Rebellion.

For a very good read on the Taiping Rebellion, I strongly recommend God's Chinese Son. For the Imjin War, I can recommend with no less enthusiasm A Dragon's Head and a Serpent's Tail. Each will give you a good starting foundation of knowledge of the respective conflicts.

For what the Ming soldiers probably looked like during the Imjin War, you may refer to the Ming Dynasty threads on this forum concerning my L&UL proposals. These are the natural enemies of the samurai of the later end of the 16th century, and IMHO would make an impressive army indeed for the wargame table for both historical and fantasy human forces.

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Oct 17 12 2:02 AM

I have the Warlords on DVD, but not watched it yet.

Thanks for the book reference, not heard of 'a dragons head and a serpents tail, but just bought it on Amazon! The reviewers are mixed, but I have the other view points (Japan- Turnbull, Korea- Hawley) so it completes the set.

All part of reactivating 'Divine Wind' and related projects for War & Conquest using Wargames Factory Samurai!

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Oct 17 12 2:53 AM

As far as I can tell - And I don't claim to be an expert; The accuracy of arms and armor is about the Hollywood level. . . . So, sort-of. . . Except where it would look cooler. Or be more dramatic. Or where accuracy would make for production difficulties. Or stop the principal characters showing their martial arts moves, as they would stand to be riddled by several thousand ranked crossbowmen*. Or. . . .

*People often forget the Chinese had their own version of the crossbow, and used it extensively, particularly as it made conscript troops a useful addition to a standing army with the minimum of training.

"Gott weiƟ ich will kein Engel sein. . ."

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#25 [url]

Oct 17 12 5:53 AM

Thanks for the book recomendations.  My only real study on China comes from the books 1421 and I've recently started 1434 by Gavin Menzies.  Although interesting and some of the arguments have me wondering.. not exactly concrete history. 

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Oct 17 12 9:23 PM

Byron,

for a real good eye-opening read on Chinese history covering the early Ming Dynasty, I highly recommend When China Rules the Seas by Louise Levathes: http://www.amazon.com/When-China-Ruled-Seas-1405-1433/dp/0195112075/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350537734&sr=8-1&keywords=When+China+Ruled+the+Seas

A fascinating tale of the great Treasure Fleets of Admiral Xeng He and their voyages.

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Jun 27 13 2:28 PM

Well I'm back, I got my cav together, though because they looked cool I gave them all horo instead of sashimono. Seems suspect historically but looks really good. I just need to get the other groups together and paint them.

Thinking about doing a combined regiment of bows and handguns for the missile ashigaru, seems to be more accurate for the period.

Picked up some perry figs for leaders, takeda shingen and uesugi kenshin both excellent figs.

War and conquest continues to please me; I've been using my old brittonian warhammer knights for crusades in the holy land and WaC really adds depth to the game that warhammer never had.

I'll post a shot or two of the samurai when I get them out for painting again.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jun 27 13 9:37 PM

Pictures! Pictures! PICTURES!!! Share some pictures!

Quote    Reply   

mrinku

superstar

#34 [url]

Jun 30 13 7:31 PM

Very lovely work.

Going back a couple of posts, another good read relating to the Taiping Rebellion is Flashman and the Dragon by George MacDonald Fraser. Historical fiction, but very well researched. The Flashman Papers are pretty much required reading for geeks and nerds interested in 19th C military history in any case ;)

Mark Dewis

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Jun 30 13 8:01 PM

My samurai are built along clan lines. Each clan has 24 cavalry, 32 samurai foot, 48 ashigaru with long spears, 12 archers and 12 with arquebus and a Daiymo with guard. The proportions are little off as I really should have another unit of ashigaru arquebus and another unit of ashigaru spear.
Some more pictures of a recent game.

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Jul 1 13 10:10 AM

What a splendid horde you have there, mister!

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#37 [url]

Jul 1 13 11:30 AM

Truly inspirational....stop it now...I've not held a brush in nearly 8 months (moving soon YAY!) and now I want to start on my Ashigaru, when I already have another 3 projects bubbling away in my fetid mind..

Seriously good work.

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Jul 2 13 2:42 PM

Alas only if I could paint as well as I can build...marvelous work done there. Another modeller pushing out seductive works that tempt me from my chosen genre...

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#39 [url]

Jul 5 13 3:40 PM

rxpjks,
Ok Ive been nice, Ive been patient.... now no more Mr. Nice Guy...
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN.. WHO WON!!?

Was either Warlord (sorry Niponese history is not nor 'forte') killed in the battle? If not "when and where" will they battle next.
Honor Must Be Upheld!   (I know your not going to take that defeat lying down).

Dont spread this around..but I just happened to hear that one warlord said the other guys "mama was so fat.. when she entered the temple... it toppled."

And I dont believe the other guys accusation:  That the first warlord, got his food, from take out. Who starts these rumors, I ask you?
Dont let that get around it might start another battle, and we wouldnt want that .. would we. devil

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Oct 27 13 5:46 AM

I'm creating an Uesugi army too Uesugi Kenshin seems like one of the most interesting Warlords of the time to me. I am using a combination of TAG and Perry for monks.

The Majority of my troops are coming from WGF with other ranges supplementing it.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help