Tags : :

Front Rank guns, Foundry tools  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Sep 20 12 7:21 AM

musketier,

Do NOT worry. WF IS working on our WSS Artillery in plastic. We are ensuring the quality and price remain constant. That means it takes us longer.

This project is a high priority item.

Jim

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 20 12 11:57 AM

Aaaah, sweet string music to my 18th C. ears! After a lousy time at the office, that really made my day.

Many thanks Jim, and do take your time over it! At the risk of pushing the envelope, may I just recall what I wrote in a while ago about cannon being essentially symmetrical in their components, so each sprue only needs to cover half of one (or half each of several different-sized ones). This would leave more room for equipment, diferently posed legs and arms, etc.

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#7 [url]

Sep 21 12 6:24 AM

Can we get cannon victims added to the sprue as well? Scattershot victims, Grapeshot victims, good old 8 pounder to the leg or head victims. Not to mention missfire victims.  Those would be excelent. 

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 21 12 7:02 AM

musketier,
Do NOT worry. WF IS working on our WSS Artillery in plastic. We are ensuring the quality and price remain constant. That means it takes us longer.
This project is a high priority item.
Jim

-jim_goss

Excellent news. Please, please, please if possible include an extra pair of wheels for making up limbers etc. Scratchbuilding the limber sections is easy but good quality wheels are very difficult or expensive to find.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Sep 21 12 9:02 AM

That's where the "half gun" idea might help - freeing up space on the sprue for a limber wheel?

Basically you'd "cut" the barrel lengthwise on the horizontal plane, the limber along its length in the vertical plane. Half a barrel, one side bracket, one axle tree, one cross piece, one holed "tailplate" and one wheel per sprue - and two sprues will give you a gun, with an axle tree and a tailplate left over, which together with a smaller wheel on each sprue would give you the beginnings of a limber as suggested by Barcelona 1714.

The half barrel might also make it easier to have a highly sculpted barrel in the style of the period. Any redundant decoration or touchhole on the underside won't be noticeable.

Add one dolphin, one trunnion cap, the tools so aptly scratchbuilt by CH (swabber, rammer, shovel, worm - two double-headed ones, cut off unrequired end?), a wedge, half a bucket and half a barrel or ammo chest, and the rest of the sprue can go to 2 or 3 crew poses, and possibly two halves of a draft horse? Unless you want to have two different draft horses as a separate (mini-)sprue, which would probably sell like hot cakes, supplementing other 28mm ranges - metal teams in that size being both heavy and expensive.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#10 [url]

Sep 21 12 9:59 AM

Excellent news. Please, please, please if possible include an extra pair of wheels for making up limbers etc. Scratchbuilding the limber sections is easy but good quality wheels are very difficult or expensive to find.

-barcelona1714

Im not (yet..) even working on my Imagi-nation troops or any WSS for that matter and I'd like to say to Jim and the team at WF,  
Regarding the above extra Wheel Request,..

(falling to my knees)
PLEASE IN THE NAME OF GOD MAKE THEM!!!! 
I can / have built doors, (buckboard style) flat wagons.. etc. my dead ass relatives can cut, glue and paint squares.. but wheels!? 

Hey a chicken is a bird (tastes great) but that doesnt mean I want him as my National Symbol. My point, while a bird is a bird and a wheel is a wheel,..  theres the Right part for the Right job.

You have got to give us this.. (thats a "you have to" in the nicest way) angel

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Sep 21 12 12:49 PM

Gentlemen;

Apparently some folks don't always read the photo captions, to wit:

"I like your conversions, esp. the realistic length of the loading tools."

"the tools so aptly scratchbuilt by CH"

Musketier - as the esteemed Cardinal states in his first caption, these "tools" are Foundry stock items in metal. Several other companies sell them as well, Minden being one that has an excellent set of artillerist's tools available.

Jack - Actually, separate styrene plastic wheels have long been available, although not cheap, through model railroading suppliers. Walthers here in the US stocks a set that is 1.5" in diameter and have carried other sizes in the past. You can see them here, at $5.50 for a pair. Similar wheels are also available in metal from many suppliers of wargames figures. If a proper set of limber wheels is done by WF for a single-horse limber, said wheels would be very small for any kind of in-scale wagon. A cart maybe, but not a full size wagon.

As my now long-ago thread posited, it is possible to do a  proper artillery set, with crew, limber, 1 draft horse, 1 medium gun, tools and even some spare legs; but (IMHO) not on a single sprue. To do this set properly should require a minimum of two sprues, and possibly three, which is a significant tooling investment. As a result, I suspect that you will see some sort of compromise produced, possibly with some of the similar compromises seen in the Cavalry set.

BTW, as I have had some e-mails and PM's regarding my earlier ideas, and have actively lobbied for the Artillery and "spares sprue" in the past, let it be known to all that I personally no longer have any involvement in the design, feedback process or QC on any set produced by Wargames Factory along these, or any other, lines. After discussion behind the scenes with Management at WF, another route was decided upon and I have withdrawn from any involvement in the Company's products. To the extent that I have already liquidated all of my WF plastics and have moved in other directions. I wish them all the best, and I am delighted to see modelers like the Cardinal and RobH use the tools of the trade from the 70's (that many of us cut our modelling teeth on), to build some very good conversions and prove that the medium is viable for quality modelling.

Respectfully;

Bill Sir William the Aged www.warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Sep 22 12 3:35 AM

I can make the tools if I need to but yes these are leftovers form a laye 80s Foundry  whatever..does anybody know if they still make them? I don't play rules with little guns or limbers  I am after big guns, crews especially if they can be made into something else..I have a treat coming up for you all..

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 22 12 9:15 AM

Thank you Sir William, I stand corrected - and will gladly apologise to the Ghost of Foundry Past. I only caught "Front Rank guns" out of the corner of my eye before my gaze was inexorably drawn to the pictures...

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Sep 22 12 3:20 PM

Bill, sorry to hear you are leaving these shores. I have always appreciated your depth of knowledge and willingness to share. Good luck with whatever projects you move on to.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#18 [url]

Sep 29 12 2:31 AM

Bill, sorry to hear you are leaving these shores. I have always appreciated your depth of knowledge and willingness to share. Good luck with whatever projects you move on to.-barcelona1714

I second that thought..  but we all have our own reasons for the choices we make.
He will be missed.. hope the best awaits him in the future.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help