Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#1 [url]

Sep 14 12 3:47 PM

Very nice..
If my 'computer' wasnt slightly older than "Bedrock", Im sure the pictures would have been more clear. Bummer, my loss.
Just curious, as Im not a history buff, are these French Reg'ts? And what rules system do you and friends prefer?

Keep up the good work.
I always enjoy seeingWF's WSS miniatures. They seem to really come out well.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#3 [url]

Sep 15 12 2:24 AM

Reichs Army  contingents..for Maurice , they are Germans  -conradhawkwood

Germans, so yea, they were 'with' the French.. they were taking 'anyone / everyone' it seemed as allies. Thats one reason I wanted to do some of these, the French had so many nations surving with them.
The Ger, Irish and Swiss I believe we're the ones I wanted to try. My own "Imagi-nation" Battalion.  I chose them becaue the uniforms were more 'uncommon' from what I had seen.
Lets face it.. the British do have a love of "Red Coats"  lol.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 15 12 5:32 AM

these ones were  most definately not with the French, they were a Reich's Army contingent from the Bishopric of Wurzburg so were well in the Imperial camp, very much opposed to the  French. The French had some Germans of their own but not these stalwart fellows..as for red coats, a lot more of them around than just Scots and English..

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#5 [url]

Sep 15 12 12:31 PM

these   were  most definately not with the French,    Reich's   contingent from the Bishopric of Wurzburg   were well in the Imperial camp, very much opposed to the  French.

-conradhawkwood

ERRRRRRRR  I stand corrected.  Unfortunately I have only read "over" the WSS, and 'clearly' I dont recall all the details and the, who fought for who list.  War always gets complicated that way.

I just did a quick glance at my WSS notes.. yes I keep notes Im old we forget things LOL
It seems I was thinking of the Bavarian Elector who did join with the French. 

The joy of being wrong in front of the whole class.  devil

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Sep 19 12 4:23 AM

How big a table would one need for Maurice with these BWs? I was hesitating between 45 and 60mm BW as my table (when I get it back) is only 6'x4'.

Excellent work as always Sir!

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 19 12 3:31 PM

we play  8 x 5  ..  went 60 x 60 bases so as to be compatible with all our  M&R stuff which is all on that size base..I am slowly painting up  command sets   and  I will put some up for sale. when I finish.
I have an objective marker set done for the Blue King and lots of ideas included a dismounted cuirassier genera set,l for the White Emperor's army command/objective marker

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

jack

fanatic

#11 [url]

Sep 20 12 1:11 AM

Hmmm Conradhawkwood,
Again.. great work. I really love to see what you and many of your fellow WSS gamers have done w/ the WF set. These really turn out beautiful (in the right 'steady' hands).

Ok so the "Maurice" rules system generally uses 4 'companys' of 6 figs ea.based on 60 x 60mm bases to form a 24 man battlalion.  Yep.. Im still learning. )  
I cant recall the rule system, but there was one that basically 'required' one box set and using all of the miniatures, gave you one battalion.

As for the gaming area guys, Im not speaking "offical" for anyone of course. But from what I have read in many articles of games and game rooms in England, 6x4 is very common.
Here in our local hobby shop, the owner had the 'standard' 8x4 ft. sheet of plywood used as the basis for the tables he had constructed for his game room. IMHO I think anything wider, while it would look great, would only make it more difficult to actualy reach the figures as they 'approached' the center of the table.

OH I so have to bite my fingers to keep from ordering these.. LOL  devil
I promised myself long ago.. no more than ONE.. ok.. 'maybe' Two   projects at the same time. And Ive alreayd got 'that many' going now.. 

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Sep 20 12 1:20 AM

A long time ago there was some debate amongst the wargamers I played with at the time & it was decided that the largest table you could reach all of without over stretching was 8' by 6' my own table is that size still though 6' 4' will work its better for 15mm or smaller.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Sep 20 12 3:15 AM

Ok so the "Maurice" rules system generally uses 4 'companys' of 6 figs ea.based on 60 x 60mm bases to form a 24 man battlalion.  Yep.. Im still learning.

-jack

The "Maurice" rules (18th century) and the "Lasalle" rules (Napoleon era) don't require 60mm x 60mm.  A person can use different sized base lengths and widths depending on personal preference, but both rules systems use base width for measurements, and its important for opposing sides to have the same base widths.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 20 12 5:08 AM

actually my table is a  2.15 m  x 1.5 m us in Australia being metric and out tables appear quite metric as well  60mmx 60mm is our choice..the rules suggest 50x 50 , as for  companies and battalions I think I am playing with divisions in an army size battle, others don't..

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Sep 20 12 11:42 AM

OK well my table is 1.80 m by 1.20 m, us continental Europeans actually being metric too  ;-) I might be able to add some length when I rebuild it (it's currently disassembled), but extra width would be hard to fit in my games room, plus as Jack said the centre line - where the action inevitably happens - becomes harder to reach without back pain...

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Sep 20 12 11:48 AM

" as for  companies and battalions I think I am playing with divisions in an army size battle, others don't.."

I like "Maurice" for that flexibility - for me too the units handle like brigades rather than battalions. Somehow the suspension of disbelief works, even if strictly speaking, musketry range shouldn't be equal to  a brigade's frontage.

Sorry for taking this somewhat off-topic...

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#18 [url]

Sep 21 12 12:10 AM

Sorry for taking this somewhat off-topic... -musketier

Yea, sorry about that guys, thats really my fault. Shouldnt be asking / getting into the "game mechanics" here.

" I like "Maurice" for that flexibility - for me too the units handle like brigades rather than battalions. Somehow the suspension of disbelief works, even if strictly speaking, musketry range shouldn't be equal to  a brigade's frontage.

Im of course 'not' familar with any of the WSS rule sets, but it seems that at least this set (Maurice) does not specifiy the actual type /size of the uints your miniatures represent. i.e. "Company, Brigade, Battallion". 
It seems they leave that open to interrpetation, based on the game or battle your choosing to play or recreate.  If Im reading this correctly that is.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Sep 21 12 8:30 AM

Precisely - which does sort of suggest we're actually dealing with brigades: If the 4 infantry bases represent a battalion, then artillery (deemed to represent position batteries of eight guns or more) should occupy rather more of a front than a single base... 

On the other hand, musketry and canister range is 4 BW, i.e. equal to a unit's frontage. If we assume that unit to be a brigade, this would make musketry range something like 400 yards.

- Still, it does work visually as I said,,, - I'll get my coat!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help