Lead

Dec 14 08 5:29 PM

Tags : :

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 15 08 6:11 PM

This is a carryover from the previous forum requesting that the figures have separate arms and include plastic pikes. the separate arms are to allow purchasers to choose the pose of the figures with vertical and/or angled pikes.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Dec 15 08 8:22 PM

Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars has the length 4th century b.c. sarissa at 12 cubits (5.5 meters). Depending on army and time lengths in other sources range from 10 to 16 cubits. At a scale of 1/56 a length of 100mm (4 inches) would work. An archeological find mentioned under figure 32 (Macedonian Pezetarios) has the length of the pike head at 50cm and the butt spike at 45cm. The sarissa may have been in two pieces joined by a metal tube 17cm long. This may have been to make it easier to carry the sarissa while marching.
I realize that the original suggestion is for Alexandrian pikemen, but could one of the figures be modeled with pants as used by the Seleucids and also by the Persian infantry being recruited by Alexander as part of the phalanx.
regards,
bill

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Dec 17 08 4:07 PM

While I might have the detailed response that willb gave, I usually like my Macedonians to have their sarissas about three-four times the height of the miniature as that gives a good impression of the length of the weapon without being too long for the table.

Thinking of the table, I would have to encourage Wargames Factory to avoid level pikes because, while they look nice for display purposes, they are a pain in the rear on a wargaming table: pushing into enemy ranks, hard to line up Macedonian ranks, etc. I have had fits with my 1/72 Zvezda pikes trying to get their leveled front ranks to intermesh their pikes and resorted to mounting them on multi-element bases of two ranks of four.

Would be much easier and still visually satisfying to have pikes at 45-degrees for front ranks then held upright for rear/marching ranks.

Just my $0.05

Vale! - Lars

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Dec 17 08 5:21 PM

Hello there!

Speaking as a wargamer for 40 years and several scales. Plastic pikes might be a problem IF those pikes are too long (for the sake of preventing easy breakage).

THAT said, I strongly agree with not wanting leveled pikes. Heck, spears are bad enough! I would be happy with all ranks having raised pikes.

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 17 08 5:56 PM

I agree with not having pikes leveled as the only way you can avoid having problems is with an extra deep base sticking out in front. I have some games workshop orc pikemen with plastic pikes. A couple did break due to their storage container being dropped, but they were easily repaired. I tend to prefer a 45 degree angle as holding the pike in a vertical position was the sign of surrender. See http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text.jsp?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0234
Polybius book 18 section 26 "Philip's Defeat and Flight" from the battle of Cynoscephalae.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Dec 17 08 6:51 PM

The problem of pike angles will largely be solved by having the pikes arms separate. As long as they are sculpted with this in mind, they can just be positioned at the desired angle and will look fine.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Dec 30 08 9:45 AM

I've converted some other plastic figures using metal pikes. I liked that idea in terms of bending/breakage, but then I had problems with the figures tipping over (on both single 20x20mm bases, and "strip" bases 20mm deep x 60mm wide.) I haven't tried plastic pikes, so I'm curious how well they hold up to transport, gameplay, accidentally impaling my arms on my pikemen, etc.

Also as far as drilling vs. open hand, I'm of mixed opinion. I like figures to look like they're actually gripping their weapons, but at the same time I'm not crazy about the time invested in drilling out 100+ pairs of hands, especially when you've got to align the holes in two hands for larger spears/pikes.

Wargames & Painting Blog: zerotwentythree.blogspot.com/

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Dec 30 08 4:48 PM

80mm would be just under the 10 cubit length, which is the minimum given in the historical sources. 12 to 14 cubits (98 to 114mm)was the standard. This is based on the 1/56 scale given on the website.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Sep 2 09 2:18 PM

SPRUE TITLE: ALEXANDRIAN PIKEMEN

SUBMITTED BY: Gisby, Wargames Factory 'Free Figures For Life' Winner

SIZE/SCALE: 28mm

SET DESCRIPTION: Pikemen in spolas, with Macedonian helmets. Spare heads with varied helmets would extend their use to successors, added argive shields would allow their use as hypaspists. Pike upright to allow them to rank on bases. (supply own wire spear?)

REFERENCE MATERIALS: Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars by Duncan Head,

Osprey Men-at-Arms 148: The Army of Alexander The Great

ESTIMATED PRICE PER SPRUE: TBA

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Apr 18 11 4:55 PM

Gee, now IF there were just some Persains for them to fight. You know a fair sized offering, a range of Persians.  Ummmm, just a thought.

Thanks for the link. I found the "Hail Caesar" Play Sheets PDF file too.

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help