Lead

Dec 14 08 5:47 PM

Tags : :

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Jul 27 09 7:57 PM

Well does anyone got any info on these guys? I never heard of the War of the Spanish so I have no idea what these guys look like

-kenshin620

It was a fight over who would get the throne of Spain between the Bourbons of France and the Habsburgs of the Holy Roman Empire between 1701-1714 because both had claims to the throne.  While most of the war was fought throughout Europe, the second of the "French and Indian Wars" occurred in North America, known as "Queen Anne's War" (1702-1713).  They, presumably due to being "Generic" would simply be early 18th Century Lancers.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 27 09 11:04 PM

They, presumably due to being "Generic" would simply be early 18th Century Lancers.

-jjdiffley

Well, the set description states:

"in Tricorn- with sword, pistol or carabine options
"

and lances were AFAIK not particularly popular in western Europe in the early 18th century.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jul 28 09 9:50 AM

Well, the set description states:"in Tricorn- with sword, pistol or carabine options"and lances were AFAIK not particularly popular in western Europe in the early 18th century.

-griefbringer

If these are early 18th century cavalry (1701-1750 C.E.) then mounted use of firearms was still in its infancy in Europe.  It was far more common to see Lancers, especially in England, France, Spain and The Holy Roman Empire (or rather what was left of it).  Units of mounted gumnem would appear as part of the armies by the mid to late 18th century, and would be commonplace by Napoleonic Wars.  For the infantry it was another matter as they had been widely using flintlocks since 1660 or so.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jul 28 09 10:16 AM

I beg to most politely differ regarding the usage of firearms by the cavalry.

From the introduction of the wheellock in the 16th century, firearms became a practical armament for the mounted combatants. By the beginning of the Thirty Years War (1618-1648) pretty much all cavalrymen in western and central Europe were armed with firearms (pistols and/or arquebuss/carbine) and sword, while lance-armed cavalry was rather rare (Wallenstein had a famous bodyguard company of lancers).

Similarly, in the English Civil War that followed soon after, the English cavalry was armed primarily with pistols and swords, though Scots at some point decided to arm half of their cavalry with lances (which decision might have been due to shortage of pistols).

Further to the east, the lance however remained as a weapon of war for example by the famous Polish hussars.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jul 28 09 10:31 AM

I beg to most politely differ regarding the usage of firearms by the cavalry.
From the introduction of the wheellock in the 16th century, firearms became a practical armament for the mounted combatants. By the beginning of the Thirty Years War (1618-1648) pretty much all cavalrymen in western and central Europe were armed with firearms (pistols and/or arquebuss/carbine) and sword, while lance-armed cavalry was rather rare (Wallenstein had a famous bodyguard company of lancers).
Similarly, in the English Civil War that followed soon after, the English cavalry was armed primarily with pistols and swords, though Scots at some point decided to arm half of their cavalry with lances (which decision might have been due to shortage of pistols).
Further to the east, the lance however remained as a weapon of war for example by the famous Polish hussars.

-griefbringer

I will bow to your superior knowledge, as the 18th century is not within my normal comfort zone (that being 1000 C.E. - 1400 C.E).  Thank you for the info!

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jul 28 09 10:41 AM

I cannot claim to sport any in-depth knowledge of the intricacies of the warfare in the 18th century, but I concider myself moderately knowledgeable of the 17th century.

Indeed, it seems that during the 18th century the lance eventually started returning to some extent to western and central European armies, since during the Napoleonic times a lancer was more common sight than during the Thirty Years War. However, in the beginning of the 18th century (the period of War of Spanish Succession) lancer should have been relatively rare sight.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Aug 10 09 12:50 PM

Whoo! Only 81 more pre orders to go!

Where is his will needed?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Oct 4 09 9:52 PM

yup, the lance was apparently brought back by the swedes, following their battles with the eastern horse armies.

but the poncing about in cariacole was still very fashionable for those in the west.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Apr 20 10 12:22 AM

Does that mean this particular item is not in production yet and still needs additional support to start such?

-gamespoet

I would expect the status to likely be something like: "Let's do the WSS infantry first and if they sell as well as expected we will start working on the cavalry".

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Apr 20 10 3:45 AM

But don't worry - it wouldn't be too, too far after as Tim has the new horses mostly finished now!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help