Remove this ad

#61 [url]

Aug 21 10 11:20 PM

All right Gentlemen;

Here is some rough proposed artwork (the 'announcement" got me excited) for Generic Heavy Cavalry. The Dragoons/Light Cavalry will follow shortly. Please bear in mind that I am not a professional illustrator, only a plunker, but I wanted to see what could be done with a sprue.

My sources for this artwork are Charles Grant's "From Pike to Shot", RenĂ© Chartrand's Osprey on "The Army of Louis XIV", and various plates in the Vinkhuijzen Collection of the New York Public Library. Some compromises have been made in the design, but these figures will work for the entire period from 1685 to 1720. I have used Tony's "stock" photo of heads originally made for the Infantry, but similar will work for the Heavy Cavalry as well. I also probably got the boots a little short, the tops should really be over the knee. I also realized that I left off a separate saber for the open hand, but I did remember pistols. First the basic artwork:

And the necessary accessories and weapons:

And now the proposed "test" Heavy Cavalry Sprue, any and all questions and feedback will be appreciated.

One of the biggest compromises is to the trumpeter's livery. If you are doing a French regiment that used Royal Livery, you will need to scrape away the slightly-raised simple livery lace and have fun with your paintbrush. But then, if you're a French player, you knew that anyways. As I said above, all questions and feedback appreciated.

Bill Sir William the Aged www.warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#62 [url]

Aug 22 10 12:01 AM

Oops! Just realized that I left the cartridge boxes and the third carbine off the sprue as well. I may fire myself!

Also, for those who might not have known, if you don't place the carbine in one of the open hands, it should be hung from or attached to the crossbelt, muzzle down for Cavalry (Dragoons, Horse Grenadiers and Caribiniers all carried a full-size musket, butt-down). In actuality, the muzzle was supported by a sling attached to the pommel of the saddle, but this is very hard to depict on a multi-part 28mm figure. You could probably do it with a piece of thread looped around the muzzle end of the barrel.

Quote    Reply   

#63 [url]

Aug 22 10 3:51 AM

Super Work, Bill.

With the corrections you have already identified, this will be ideal. Did you want a bare head & a loose hat in there?

Cheers, Rohan.

Quote    Reply   

#64 [url]

Aug 22 10 6:02 AM

Rohan,

The heads shown are just sort of a "space filler" using a stock photo from Tony. Yes, I would definitely want a couple of bare heads and a couple of hats (1 tricorne and 1 floppy). We actually probably only need about 8-9 heads for this sprue, not the 12 that I've shown.

Also, it's not clear in my sprue layout, but if you look at the rough sketches, the saddle blanket should be squared-off with no edging or decoration. That way it can be rounded (see my dotted line in the sketch) for those regiments that used such. Any edging, fringe or decoration can be painted on. The actual shaping of the blanket can be done best with a small bit of sandpaper backed by a craft stick, or they actually make a small cardboard-backed sanding stick available in hobby shops, after clipping the corner.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#67 [url]

Sep 4 10 1:37 AM

Gents, can I refer you to my rather lengthy submission in "Where to after WSS?" thread in 18th Century L&UL posts. You will find some things of relevance to WSS sprues there.
Cheers, Rohan.

Quote    Reply   

#68 [url]

Jul 22 11 4:42 PM

Looks like late August/early September release folks.

Alea iacta est, good gaming - Lonnie Mullins Head of Product Development, Research & Design Wargames Factory

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help