Lead

Dec 14 08 5:48 PM

Tags : :

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 3 09 1:33 AM

This might be another opportunity to re-use the horses from the Roman/Celtic cavalry set, thus avoiding the need to include the horses on the on the rider sprue.

The rider sprue could then contain eg. 3 unarmoured rider bodies, 1 armoured rider body and 3 saddles, thus providing the customer to either assemble 3 unarmoured cavalrymen or 2 unarmoured and 1 armoured cavalrymen. Then add in a variety of heads, arms, bows, spears, quivers and other equipment.

Griefbringer

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 4 09 7:11 AM

One issue is that to be really able to make most of a light cavalry (horse archer) army, you need to have a big table to play on, in order to be able to pull back and regroup, try flanking manoeuvres and so on. Plus enough time to wear out the enemy with the arrows.

Another issue is that should there be enough space and time, it might be a slightly frustrating experience to be in the receiving end of the horse archer army - at least if you are tasked with fielding a heavy infantry force with little in the way of cavalry or missile fire support.

Griefbringer

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 4 09 12:09 PM

You forgot the post-battle sequence: the Roman player gets home, consults the army list, and orders enough new models to form 6 units of cavalry plus 4 units of auxiliary infantry with missile weapons.

Meanwhile, the Parthian gamers wife goes to water the roses, and discovers two units of horse archers that had been forgotten there - though she only spots them after having watered them properly, and they have a few wet rose petals sticking to them like impromptu shields.

Griefbringer

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 4 09 5:50 PM

Parthians Bad ,,,Huns Bad...no good ,,Bad ,Bad ,Bad...not fight like men ,but girly boys with bows from far away.

Roman player buys max number of scorpians and other artillery and turn bad horse archers into pin cushions and smash the little heads with big nasty rocks.

Runicus Fasticus

General of Rome

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 5 09 8:30 AM

OK. I'll bite.

English = bad. Sissies hiding behind stakes, shooting with bows. Not just regular bows, extra long ranged bows because they're extra frightened.

Real men wear armour and smash into their opponents at top speed while wielding lances, swords and maces. ;P

Wargames & Painting Blog: zerotwentythree.blogspot.com/

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Jun 5 09 9:33 AM

I think I can hear some rumbling sound - must be the horde of English fanboys descending on this thread... I think I will look for a nice shrubbery to hide behind.

Griefbringer

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jun 5 09 10:10 AM

Please........us Brits were so hard during the Hundred years war era that we went to war with a stick and piece of string (longbow)........the cheese eating surrender monkeys (also known as the French) didn't stand a chance which is why they rode horses so they could retreat faster.

In fact they were so rubbish we started fighting amongst ourselves so we could have a proper fight. (WOTR)grin

John

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jun 5 09 10:43 AM

Should have said English rather than Brits (althrough I'm pretty much counting the Brits as the English and the Welsh)

Not really my period, but as a major part of France was controlled by the English (Norman French) nobility....add in the Burgundians who allied to the English and the English probably had more French fighting for them then the French did at times.

The Scots were allied to the French.....mainly because they wouldn't stay conquered, the ungrateful gits grin In the end we tricked them by nicking their king and taking over that way.

John

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Jun 5 09 10:54 AM

Don't forget that in the beginning of the 15th century there was also a revolt in Wales, supported by the French (who even sent in a military expedition to support it).

Griefbringer

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jun 5 09 11:17 AM

The Welsh did rebel several times over the centuries........but as long as they had enough sheep they were generally happy under English rule. grin

Seriously through and back on topic (sort of), I'm limited in my ancient gaming to playing Rome Total War (Barbarian Invasion) on the PC...........my answer to horse archers in that, is lots of Foot archers and a solid line of armed infantry to absorb the horse archers fire.....and the inevitable moment when the enemy general launches a solo charge on my line.

John

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help