Remove this ad

#81 [url]

Aug 10 10 8:39 AM

hmm true

still I could use some hellenistic era soldiers. are they too early for roman times though?

Where is his will needed?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#82 [url]

Aug 10 10 12:10 PM

A number of those models in the smaller black and white pics appear to have linen armour with the separate linen shoulder doubling so they could be more useful than you're thinking. They are very nicely made, my only criticism is that the spears are too thick and heavy but that's probably for modelling reasons.

Quote    Reply   

#85 [url]

Aug 12 10 10:54 AM

Hmm it seems that immortal is also gonna make later greek hoplites

This box will contain 24 hard plastic hoplites, bases and new water slide transfers. This set will be priced at £12.

The main frame of figures is the same as the Ancient Greek Hoplites set, but included is a new frame with new bodies (later bronze armour and un armoured with exposed shoulder) and a variety of helmet styles, including the many shapes of Pilos, Phrygian, Thracian and Boeotian that appeared over the decades.

With this box you will be able to build a phalanx of hoplites to represent those who fought from the start of the Peloponnesian war until the death of Alexander, including Athens, Thebes (who’s equipment looked no different to the rest of the Greek hoplites), Syracuse and the enemies and ally’s of the Persian empire.

On sale the first week of September 2010!

More information and photos to follow shortly

Quote    Reply   

#86 [url]

Aug 12 10 2:35 PM

Frankly there is little point in Wargames Factory doing hoplites. With both Immortal miniatures and Victrix doing plastic hoplites, I fear the market is about to become swiftly saturated. 

Alexander Hunt. Co-author of the Warhammer Fantasy: Total Realism project. Author of Defiance: The realistic modern and future skirmish ruleset.

Quote    Reply   

#87 [url]

Aug 12 10 9:23 PM

Frankly there is little point in Wargames Factory doing hoplites. With both Immortal miniatures and Victrix doing plastic hoplites, I fear the market is about to become swiftly saturated. 

-ferocity

strangely though, no plastic persians to fight!

Quote    Reply   

#88 [url]

Aug 13 10 12:05 AM

Egyptians, Hittites, Mykene or Trojans instead?

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#89 [url]

Aug 13 10 5:39 AM

strangely though, no plastic persians to fight!

-kenshin620

True, that would be a good idea. Or Celts, Thracians, Dacians, Romani, Diadoachi....

Alexander Hunt. Co-author of the Warhammer Fantasy: Total Realism project. Author of Defiance: The realistic modern and future skirmish ruleset.

Quote    Reply   

#90 [url]

Aug 13 10 5:19 PM

I'll add my two cents to the motion that WF make Persiansdevil.   I'll buy some.

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#92 [url]

Aug 13 10 7:15 PM

Far too early, sorry.

-howardwhitehouse

Yeah I figured!  But thought I'd try...  :)

"Don't try to make babies with your own roleplay character - it always ends in pain & shame" - Advice I never thought I'd have to give once, let alone TWICE!!

Quote    Reply   

#93 [url]

Aug 14 10 5:04 PM

Sooooon, I will have them. Oh yes....my pretty's....will be a force to reckon with. They will have my old Greenwood and Ball Greeks as allies.

I am therefore I think....OR....I think therefore I am...OR...I think I am therefore I am!!

Quote    Reply   

#94 [url]

Aug 19 10 8:10 AM

Huh, imoortal is also making spartans

This box will contain 24 hard plastic hoplites, bases and new water slide transfers. This set will be priced at £12.

The main frame of figures is the same as the Ancient Greek Hoplites set, but included is a new frame with new bodies (later bronze armour and un armoured with exposed shoulder) and a variety of Spartan heads (beards and no moustaches!) and swords. Although it is not certain that the Pilos was the only helmet worn by the Spartans, it was obviously common in the army.

On sale the beginning of September 2010!

More information and photos to follow shortly

Quote    Reply   

#95 [url]

Aug 20 10 6:03 AM

Somewhat bemused what the difference will be, save possibly some underarm spears, attic helmets and more muscle cuirasses. But frankly, the linothorax is the main body armour from the ancient period right up until the Roman conquests.

Quote    Reply   

#96 [url]

Aug 21 10 2:25 PM

Seems I spoke too soon! Looks like theres some tasty bits from Immortal's newsletter!

Plastic Persian pre-view
Ive been very quiet about these because they now look quite different to the image I shown a few months ago. Basically, a lot of new information has come to my attention regarding the appearance of the Persian army from this period. As I am aware there are rival companies working on Persian figures, so I cannot show too much right now (it has taken 2 years of research, building relationships with archaeologists and a trip to Iran to get to this point).

Before the end of the year, the whole Persian range will be updated to bring it up to date with the new evidence. I can say with quite some confidence that they will be the only historically accurate Achaemenid Persian miniatures on the market.
For now, here are a couple of pre-views....

Quote    Reply   

#98 [url]

Aug 22 10 6:23 AM

Indeed. I think it may be a difference in emphasis by the manufacturer. "Here, three types of hoplite" versus our attitude at WF, which is "This set allows to make a wide variety of things."We could, of course, have offered the Numidians with extra sprues (and new box art)  as Greek light infantry, Spanish, Thracians etc. But what we'd be doing is going to a lot of expense to sell mostly the same thing, and probably not adding to our market much. We'd rather say, "See my Ligurians! Numidian bodies, Celtic arms and shields, German heads, paper cloaks!" and have you make some than try to sell Ligurians, and find only 200 people bought the set.

-howardwhitehouse

In fairness, the basic hoplite kit is so versatile that all is needed is extra heads and arms to make pretty much everything from the hellenic period. Save of course the later-era 'Thorakiti' models with their mail and scale armour. And some proper warhorses to model decent-size shock cavalry.

Hmm. Come September and the plastic hoplites niche is expanding 600%. Going from 1 kit from Immortal to 3 Immortal kits and 3 more Victrix kits. That's definitely getting close to market saturation as far as even as ubiquitous a solider as hoplites get. 

Quote    Reply   

#99 [url]

Jul 22 11 8:55 AM

Should be ready to go by the beginning of August 2011.

Click here to view the attachment

Alea iacta est, good gaming - Lonnie Mullins Head of Product Development, Research & Design Wargames Factory

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help